Has anyone gone back to an X from the XS or the Max because of connectivity issues?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious on this because I just did. It's not so much because of LTE speeds on Verizon but more so about coverage in areas where I usually have great coverage and no dropouts. I went through 3 different XS Max's before I realized it's either the antennas or the Intel modem. It was just getting bad. I hate that I'm going back to a smaller size but it is what it is.

I ended up getting an X for $699 unlocked at Best Buy without paying tax. Funny enough, I actually sold my X in January for $800 so depending on how much I sell the Max for, I won't lose too much. Has anyone else done the same?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
One of the reasons I stayed with my X was the rumors I heard about the dropped reception

I know it hasn’t happened to everyone but reception is poor in my area as is on Sprint so why take the chance. Yes I could switch carriers but I’ve only known Sprint since 1999 and like there service. Starting to get Advanced LTE in the city but I live rural and my X holds a good signal

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Mine was the opposite. I’m on at&t and when I had my X, I had poor reception in certain areas of my home and work. Since I’ve upgraded to the Max, I no longer have reception issues at home or work. The two extra atennas in this case do make a difference for me. Sometimes It depends on the carrier and phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Mine was the opposite. I’m on at&t and when I had my X, I had poor reception in certain areas of my home and work. Since I’ve upgraded to the Max, I no longer have reception issues at home or work. The two extra atennas in this case do make a difference for me. Sometimes It depends on the carrier and phone.
The X model for AT&T uses the Intel modem, coincidentally.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I carry both a X & XS, and find myself using my X more often because of the connection issues. The XS is always losing signal where my X still has it. My calls, also, end up sounding robotic at times. It’s really weird. Both devices are on Verizon, & the XS doesn’t even have a case on it. I use an Apple folio on the X.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
The X model for AT&T uses the Intel modem, coincidentally.

Correct. I’ve wonder about that and most likely why I think the two extra atennas fixes the reception issue for me. What’s interesting, Qualcomm LTE modem is faster than that of Intel. I’m getting faster speeds with my Max. In comparison to the iPhone X, the iPhone XS Max offers much faster performance thanks to its antennas, which now support 4×4 MIMO. In PCMag’s testing, the iPhone X averaged right around 200Mbps download speeds, while the iPhone XS Max averaged just under 400Mbps – both under good signal conditions. That’s a dramatic iPhone XS LTE performance bump compared to last year’s model.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So are the people who are having connection issues with their iPhone XS using Verizon, AT&T or Another carrier?

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
So are the people who are having connection issues with their iPhone XS using Verizon, AT&T or Another carrier?

It depends. As some stated, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T have had their share of connection issues. T-Mobile I would think some have experienced it as well. CDMA and GSM both are good and bad in some areas. CDMA technology is better for receiving signals through buildings but cannot make voice calls and transmit data at the same time. Whereas, GSM can obtain both.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It depends. As some stated, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T have had their share of connection issues. T-Mobile I would think some have experienced it as well. CDMA and GSM both are good and bad in some areas. CDMA technology is better for receiving signals through buildings but cannot make voice calls and transmit data at the same time. Whereas, GSM can obtain both.

Oh okay. Thank you!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Since September, from all the complaints like mine that I have read online, I don’t think I’ve read any at all from people on T-Mobile if I had to ballpark it. I think it’s because the XS added the extra band that mostly benefits T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

But GSM and CDMA doesn't matter if on LTE. That only matters if the phone falls back to 3G or HSPA.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Since September, from all the complaints like mine that I have read online, I don’t think I’ve read any at all from people on T-Mobile if I had to ballpark it. I think it’s because the XS added the extra band that mostly benefits T-Mobile.

The extra band on T-Mobile is definitely helpful in lower signal areas but that band isn't everywhere so there are phones not using it due to that reason.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
We have 3 iPhone XS Max phones on our Verizon plan -- no issues.

Same here. I don't have any connection issues. This is my first time hearing about connection issues with Xs Max...I need to do some research on this issue.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Which is why they’re working on VoLTE to solve the voice over CDMA problem so they can phase out 3G as early as 2019.

Well idk if I'd say working on it since it is active. They want to phase out CDMA just like other carriers want to phase out GSM. They all want to go all LTE to repurpose spectrum from the old legacy networks.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The extra band on T-Mobile is definitely helpful in lower signal areas but that band isn't everywhere so there are phones not using it due to that reason.

Definitely. That band is pretty much only significant to T-Mobile in the U.S. and I'm sure other international carriers.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I carry both a X & XS, and find myself using my X more often because of the connection issues. The XS is always losing signal where my X still has it. My calls, also, end up sounding robotic at times. It’s really weird. Both devices are on Verizon, & the XS doesn’t even have a case on it. I use an Apple folio on the X.

It’s sad that in the last couple of days I feel like I upgraded my phone.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
My max has the connection issues. It will lose signal and never regain it back unless I restart the phone. The one day I went nearly 2 hours before I realized I had no service sitting in my living room (normally I have full service) due to the fact I went to a dead zone and it never regained signal. This happens at least twice a week.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh