Has anyone else noticed shutter lag with their iPhone 7?

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I can't be the only one seeing this. I've had four different iPhone 7's (two of each model) and experienced the same thing on all of them, at various OS levels.

This guy explains it well: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679123

Basically there can be (and often is) major shutter lag on a moving target. I've seen this exact same behavior and it's annoying after years of reliably quick shutter capture on previous iPhones. If the target is moving, I have no faith that when I click the capture button, it will actually capture that moment.

I just wanted to get this out there because it's a subtle thing that the average Joe off the street might not notice or care about, but it seems like a big drop-off from prior iPhone cameras in that regard. I also wanted to see if others have noticed this.

Last edited:

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 Shutter Lag

Sorry to be a "bumper" but I just can't imagine nobody else has seen this between the Apple support thread I linked to or the fact I've had multiple iPhone 7's showing the same "issue". Taking the exact same shot (again, typically a moving target) with my SE vs my 7, the SE's shutter will be instant and the 7's shutter will delay, not getting the same (or right) shot. It reminds me of older android devices honestly...

Edit: either that, or just nobody really cares about the delay :p

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I´ve never heard about this shutter lag issue before, this is news to me, to be honest.

Cheers

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Sorry to be a "bumper" but I just can't imagine nobody else has seen this between the Apple support thread I linked to or the fact I've had multiple iPhone 7's showing the same "issue". Taking the exact same shot (again, typically a moving target) with my SE vs my 7, the SE's shutter will be instant and the 7's shutter will delay, not getting the same (or right) shot. It reminds me of older android devices honestly...

Edit: either that, or just nobody really cares about the delay :p

I rarely use the stock camera app. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

This guy has a video showing it to a certain extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFREOphgyw

You can see when he moves the cameras, the 7 has shutter lag. Now take that and apply a moving target, even in great light, and that lag doubles (rough estimates based on my usage). I can't get a picture of my kid(s) on a swing, for example, as they turn out blurry every time due to the lag.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This guy has a video showing it to a certain extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFREOphgyw

You can see when he moves the cameras, the 7 has shutter lag. Now take that and apply a moving target, even in great light, and that lag doubles (rough estimates based on my usage). I can't get a picture of my kid(s) on a swing, for example, as they turn out blurry every time due to the lag.

This problem is apparently not affecting the masses. If it were, we'd be hearing more about it. Still, let's hope that Apple is aware of the problem affecting some devices and is preparing an update to fix it soon.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

This problem is apparently not affecting the masses. If it were, we'd be hearing more about it. Still, let's hope that Apple is aware of the problem affecting some devices and is preparing an update to fix it soon.

Due to various carrier/work changes, and a couple of legit returns, I've had a total of 5 iPhone 7's now - both the Verizon and AT&T models - and all 5 of them behave the exact same. I believe the issue is most people simply aren't noticing it b/c it doesn't happen in every scenario.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Due to various carrier/work changes, and a couple of legit returns, I've had a total of 5 iPhone 7's now - both the Verizon and AT&T models - and all 5 of them behave the exact same. I believe the issue is most people simply aren't noticing it b/c it doesn't happen in every scenario.

You may be right. Still, it's not something that is going to cause the masses to freak out over. Hopefully, a fix is in the way.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
You may be right. Still, it's not something that is going to cause the masses to freak out over. Hopefully, a fix is in the way.

Indeed - in other scenarios the camera on the 7 is pretty incredible. But with kiddos, not being able to take shots of them moving around in good light is frustrating since so many other devices can do that pretty well...

jesssocko

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I've just signed up to this site so that I can say, ME!! I've just got this phone a week ago and it has been bugging me SO MUCH. I had an iPhone 6 previously, which has always been fine. However my 7 majorly lags when I take a photo. All the pictures of my kids blur, and as you said it is impossible to take a nice one of them on the swings.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I've just signed up to this site so that I can say, ME!! I've just got this phone a week ago and it has been bugging me SO MUCH. I had an iPhone 6 previously, which has always been fine. However my 7 majorly lags when I take a photo. All the pictures of my kids blur, and as you said it is impossible to take a nice one of them on the swings.

Yep, still extremely frustrating. I'm convinced all iPhone 7's and 7+'s have the issue, it just doesn't come up very often so people usually don't notice it.

Stacia Nordin

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Yep, still extremely frustrating. I'm convinced all iPhone 7's and 7+'s have the issue, it just doesn't come up very often so people usually don't notice it.

I just got my phone and have the same shutter lag with the first picture - a still indoor shot. I also had an iPhone 6 before this and had no issues. Will report it if I keep seeing it and try to describe when it happens.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I just got my phone and have the same shutter lag with the first picture - a still indoor shot. I also had an iPhone 6 before this and had no issues. Will report it if I keep seeing it and try to describe when it happens.

Yeah I'm about done with the inconsistencies. Between this shutter lag issue and inconsistencies in other camera situations (sometimes incredible, sometimes really bad), I'm really close to selling it and buying a cheaper/used SE or 6S until the 7S (or 8 or whatever it'll be called) comes out (though I fear it will be an issue with it as well). Water resistance is nice, but the camera was the main reason I upgraded to the 7 and it's simply not better than the 6S/SE. There might be a few lower light scenarios where it's better, but in all other scenarios it's less consistent and generally speaking, simply not as good. And let's face it, low light still sucks on the 7 - it just sucks less than most other phones. But outdoor, well-lit shots shouldn't be inconsistent... that's the easy shot for phones...

smallfrys

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've had my 7 Plus 128 GB since it was released and I only now really noticed this. Was trying to get shots of my dog playing with his ball and the phone would just not respond fast enough. Never was (or is) an issue with my old 6S Plus, which my wife has now.

Most still pictures look better, especially with lots of light. But for pictures with any movement or low light, it takes 1.5 to 2 seconds for the exposure to be taken from when I press the volume/shutter button. It's less of an issue with 3rd party apps, as you can adjust the exposure time to say 1/120 s from the 1/6 s default my 7 Plus seems to use. However, they're a pain to adjust settings compared to an SLR. The whole point of a camera phone is to be able to take pics fast, with little fuss.

I'll hold onto my 7 until the 8 comes out, but will be checking this issue out first when I get it. If it's not improved, this will be my last upgrade for a while and I'll just put the $ into a mirrorless SLR and lenses.

That said, I'd encourage anyone with this issue to try out 3rd party camera apps. Not everyone is as impatient/lazy as me. My favorite is ProCam, but I also like ProShot and have heard good things about Camera+.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner