Has anyone been able to activate Apple's new Two-Factor Authentication?

I

iMore Question

I'm referring to the new Two-Factor Authentication introduced with iOS 9 and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan not the previous Two-Step authentication. Yes, there is a difference.

The new Two-Factor Authentication is activated using the iCloud settings in the Setting app on iOS 9 or the iCloud settings in System Preferences on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

The older Two-Step Authentication is activated by logging in to the Apple ID management web site.

If you have been able to activate the new Two-Factor Authentication please post what country you are in. I'd be interested in seeing if the roll out is being done by country.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
well, embarassing, I forgot my security questions, had to reset it with apple help via phone, and now I can't set this up until after 1st of Feb lol. Will let you know then.

New Zealand here :)

Last edited:

eric_sh

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm referring to the new Two-Factor Authentication introduced with iOS 9 and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan not the previous Two-Step authentication. Yes, there is a difference.

That's true, there is a difference between the previous (and still supported) two-step verification and the new two-factor authentication. Problem is, Apple is not doing a good job explaining the true operational differences. Here's what they say:

Is this different than Apple?s current two-step verification feature?
Yes. Two-factor authentication is a new service built directly into iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan. It uses different methods to trust devices and deliver verification codes, and offers a more streamlined user experience. The current two-step verification feature will continue to work separately for users who are already enrolled.

Not very informative. One big difference is that you can have a trusted device generate its own verification code, even if it's offline!

BTW, for those currently using two-step verification, you have to turn that off first before you're even given the option to turn on two-factor authentication. Oh, and as part of turning it off, you need to create and answer security questions, which presumably become moot once you switch to 2FA. There doesn't appear to be any streamlined way to migrate from old to new.

Sounds like great fodder for an iMore how-to. C'mon guys & gals!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR