Happy with your iPhone 4S purchase?

Are you happy with your iPhone 4S purchase?

• Total voters

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I absolutely love our iPhone 4S and also FINALLY got billed for our two phones that we ordered from AT&T (online) when pre-ordering started.. lol we were hoping maybe they forgot... :D

The phones great, it's so fast and everything works smooth. The battery life is great for me after tweaking, it's been excellant for my wife who's done nothing to her phone at all, everything's at default and she's getting really really good battery life. I'm usually by a power source that I can plug in either at home or the time I have to go into the office. She on the other hand is away and on the go for over 12 hours a day, monday through friday. Even with her heavy use she only recharges once every 2 1/2 days. I usually recharge at the end of my day, although even then after 17 hour day it's usually at about 46%.

The camera takes pictures that I feel are so much better then my iPhone 4, it seems to focus faster and no more blurry pictures. The speakers on the 4S seem better then on the 4, they are louder, i can actually feel a strong force of air being pushed out from them. On my 4 with max volume it was hard to hear it well even in my small apartment. With the 4S I can hear it all over my apartment surprisingly well.

I also feel like I have better reception on the 4S compared to the 4 and 3GS. I'm in a basement apartment and 3G reception was always a pain, when I would send a text message out a lot of times I would get the little red ! . However with the 4S it's noticeably been a lot less of a issue.

dlcrouch

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
coming from an IPhone 3GS, you betcha! Faster, Retina Display, Much better camera - all to the good. Not seeing that much diffence on broadband - it was crappy on home and my office; only marginally better with the 4s.
Siri - not sure yet. Still playing around with it.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy and frustrated. The 4s is obviously a well made and beautiful device. Most of my frustrations lie with the UI. It's somewhat exhausting navigating this phone in comparison to something like webOS. Having to use the button to close an app or double tap to use this half baked multitasking system gets me frustrated. On the other hand it is fluid and speedy which mostly makes up for the UI deficiencies. Little touches like the magnifying glass, dictionary, and great implementation of copy paste also help round out the UI.

The lack of customization options is also a little frustrating. I will definitely consider jailbreaking when that becomes an option.

What has impressed me the most is the apps and the camera. While the quantity of apps is somewhat overrated as a lot of that number comes from many different options for the same thing, the quality and options are great. I'm also enjoying Siri. It will be interesting to see where they take that.

In the end I chose to go ahead and make the commitment to this platform for at least the next 22 months. I have no regrets and am happy with my choice.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
At first I was excited to get my 4S, especially since it's a big upgrade from my blackberry. But now that I have it I'm a little disappointed with it. I guess I'm just used to blackberry where there are tons of settings and options and the iPhone just seems so basic and almost watered down. But apps are way better for iPhones than BB. I guess I just had really high expectations for the 4S, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure the more I use it the more I'll discover and then I'll like it more. As for now I'm not super impressed with it yet.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Very!

A few things I love

When I'm listening to Sirius online or my local radio station on an app I downloaded, I don't have to mute the sounds. I get a text message for instance and the music softens just a bit to play the alert, then the music's volume comes back up. It doesn't stop the music. I love that. With my BlackBerry, it'd stop the music completely for the alert, play the alert, then go back to the music but if I was streaming, it'd have to buffer for about 30 seconds before it'd play again.

No truncated emails!

Browsing is much faster and much smoother than on my BB. Streaming music runs so much smoother too, not to mention the response time of the phone is so much better than my BB. No spinning clocks, no battery pulls. I love it.

And finally, two words: Angry Birds. :)

Mr.Chow

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
really happy...had an iphone 3gs before and i was satisfied with it but the 4s seems like a different universe to me :D

muevete2

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
First iPhone ever and I love it. My wife and I both had the Blackberry Bold (I also have a Blackberry Tour from work) and she then got the iPhone 4 and I waited for the 4S to see if I would switch. I used her iPhone and became hooked. I love my 4S.

NoMoCentro

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
It is an huge improvement over my Palm Centro.

Now compared to BB 9700 that work gave me......not so great.
The BB gets 4 times the number of emails and I use it about the same amount as my 4S. The BB can go for several days to a week before needing a charge; the 4s requires daily charging.

Yesterday's 4S usage.........no calls, 6 incoming emails, no outgoing emails, two - 2 min. checks of the TV Guide app, two hours reading from Tomes with brightness set to the lowest manual level, 20 min. of IHeartRadio via G3 at low vol., alarm (motorcycle - med. vol.) w/ three snoozes = battery at 2% in just under 24 hours.

SETUP:
Notification Center -- Cal., mail, phone, msgs., reminders & Weather widget
Location on for -- IHeartRadio, Maps, Safari, Siri, Speed Test, Weather, Find My Phone
(w/ Cell Network search and Compass calibration ON)
Mail is set to Fetch every 30 minutes
Auto-bright at 50%

The biggest question I have about the iPhone right now......Just how far do I have to neuter my iPhone 4S to make it behave like a modern piece of electronic equipment, where the battery lasts longer than a single turning of the planet?

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Auto-bright at 50%

The biggest question I have about the iPhone right now......Just how far do I have to neuter my iPhone 4S to make it behave like a modern piece of electronic equipment, where the battery lasts longer than a single turning of the planet?

I've never had a device that I didn't have to charge daily. Every single one of my BB phones needed more juice by bed time and every phone before that from my Motorola StarTac to my Nextel i730 needed to be plugged in at night.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
SETUP:
Location on for -- IHeartRadio, Maps, Safari, Siri, Speed Test, Weather, Find My Phone
Auto-bright at 50%

Unless you're waiting for time-critical email, set email fetch to 1 or 2 hrs. I have it on manual.
If you mean 48 hrs., I don't think it's possible with today's smartphones. They are micro-computers and we don't expect any portable computing device to last even 24 hrs. Most people realistically need a phone's battery to last ~18 hrs. It sounds like you'd have no problem going through an entire work day. Plug it in while you're asleep. What use would it be if you could get 36 hrs. of battery life? The recharge schedule would get awkward, wouldn't it?

Reactions: NoMoCentro

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It is an huge improvement over my Palm Centro.

Now compared to BB 9700 that work gave me......not so great.
The BB gets 4 times the number of emails and I use it about the same amount as my 4S. The BB can go for several days to a week before needing a charge; the 4s requires daily charging.

Yesterday's 4S usage.........no calls, 6 incoming emails, no outgoing emails, two - 2 min. checks of the TV Guide app, two hours reading from Tomes with brightness set to the lowest manual level, 20 min. of IHeartRadio via G3 at low vol., alarm (motorcycle - med. vol.) w/ three snoozes = battery at 2% in just under 24 hours.

SETUP:
Auto-bright at 50%

I was also a long-time blackberry user (my last BB was also a 9700). Loved the battery life (with the exception of OS 6) and nothing compares to BB's email sound profiles/custom ringtones and separate email folders on the home screen. Le sigh.

You will undoubtedly have to charge your phone every night now but maybe you should consider one of the juice packs by mobi (and I think Seidio has a good one too) in case your battery runs low during the day and you aren't able to plug in?

NoMoCentro

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're waiting for time-critical email, set email fetch to 1 or 2 hrs. I have it on manual.

If you mean 48 hrs., I don't think it's possible with today's smartphones. They are micro-computers and we don't expect any portable computing device to last even 24 hrs. Most people realistically need a phone's battery to last ~18 hrs. It sounds like you'd have no problem going through an entire work day. Plug it in while you're asleep. What use would it be if you could get 36 hrs. of battery life? The recharge schedule would get awkward, wouldn't it?

Thanks DrewBear! I'll try the manual setting and see how that works.

I do my charging at work. I don't want all the cords around my bed.
With the 4S I would have to agree that a 36 hour recharge schedule would get awkward. I guess I'm so used to having devices with at least two fully-charged batteries as backups I haven't changed gears to the "Apple way" yet.

Regards,
Drew

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm extremely happy I jumped on Friday from my 9650. I honestly thought I'd have some type of withdrawals or feel like I'd missed somethings about bb, but I can truly say I haven't skipped a beep at all !! :) I'm very happy overall with my choice, using Siri has come in handy for me a few times now & is great to have. I'm just wishing I switched sooner.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Still so very happy. I've turned into a gamer.lol. I thought the transition would be hard, especially to an all-touch device, but it's been great. Getting used to the virtual keyboard and enjoying all the apps and games.

sdakidd

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I love my new 4s! Is it just me or does it seem like every other smart phone out there doesn't operate to the level of iPhone, it always seems like inertia scrolling is choppy and pinch to zoom isn't as smooth as iPhone.

Moneymiike420

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my new 4s! Is it just me or does it seem like every other smart phone out there doesn't operate to the level of iPhone, it always seems like inertia scrolling is choppy and pinch to zoom isn't as smooth as iPhone.
Coming from bb bold 9700 and htc sensation the iPhone 4s and probably all iPhones for that matter are hands down smoothest ,lag free experience I can't see myself ever switching away from ios now..

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Coming from bb bold 9700 and htc sensation the iPhone 4s and probably all iPhones for that matter are hands down smoothest ,lag free experience I can't see myself ever switching away from ios now..

That seems to be the consensus. Once you got Apple, you'll never go back. I hated to have to ditch my BB as I like BB, but I was so tired of being stuck in 2004.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanD