Habit of closing apps

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
how many people swipe up to close their apps? I know it’s easier on the battery but I find it a habit of force closing my apps

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
It’s not a good idea to close Apps unless they are causing problems. They need system resources to restart again.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I usually don't. There are times when I will close an App that I rarely use, but that's the only time. This is "learned behavior", but I have discovered that it's awfully nice to scroll through Apps via the App Switcher to find something I was looking at, like a grocery list, a recipe, or something on Amazon. I have an Amazon addiction, don't ya know? :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
how many people swipe up to close their apps? I know it’s easier on the battery but I find it a habit of force closing my apps

I am one who closes out my apps typically before I go to bed, and occasionally beforehand. I’ve been doing it for ions. If I need to re-open it, it only takes a second.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As for my iPhone’s battery life over the years, I can say with all honesty that it has been quite stellar. I’ve never had to replace my battery EVER!

Therefore, technically speaking, closing apps “could” degrade battery life/performance, but it doesn’t mean it “will”. Closing an app and reopen Inc it could take longer, but how much longer? A millisecond?

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
I used to close apps all the time starting with my Blackberry and Android days. When I came over to the iPhone I continued that practice until I did some reading and learned it wasn’t necessarily a recommended practice. I only close one now when there’s an issue with the particular app.

That said I fully understand those that do and know that one way or the other it likely doesn’t make much of a difference.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don’t force quit apps unless they are misbehaving or I want to be sure they are not running in the background (e.g.: Facebook – not that I have it installed, but it would be one).

I avoid quitting them to avoid corrupting their data in case they are trying to write to an internal database at termination time.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to close apps too often, now I only do it when I need to refresh due to weird behavior. If I had anything owned by Face….Meta….I would always force close those after using them because of their high battery drain.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I habitually close all apps, at least once a day, basically for battery saving reasons. Anyway an app that’s not running, should not be doing anything I don’t want it to ! Extra power use on restarting an app ? I do it when plugged in mostly. Switching apps off does not save power ? Well I proved to my own satisfaction that that is not true long ago. Listening to tech companies is like believing your car manufacturers fuel consumption figures ! interesting but unlikely !!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I prefer all my most used apps open and I only close the lot when I am updating the OS and always close Apple Maps and Music after use

I like to be able to return to the exact place I stopped during a work flow or email PDF presentation and or iMovie project I’m working on

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I would ! a lot of people have noticed that Facebook is a major culprit in battery power loss. If you must have it,close it when you have finished with it.