[GUIDE] How To Put An iPhone 7 & 7 Plus In DFU Mode

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As many of you know, I am a big fan of restoring an iPhone as new. Typically, I do this when a new full version of iOS is released and during the *rare* times I have problems with iOS, usually do to a rogue app. Having said that, I'm off today and opted to take this time to restore my iPhone 7 Plus as new by reinstalling the full version of iOS 10.1 dev beta 5 (many believe dev beta 5 to be the final beta release of iOS 10.1 before it becomes official), but when I initially attempted to place the device in DFU mode, I learned that the steps, are somewhat different due to the haptic home button. For the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, the volume down button is used in lieu of the home button. With that in mind, below are the steps to get an iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in DFU mode.

1. Connect your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus to your computer via the included USB cable.

2. Turn the iPhone completely off.

3. Press the Power (on/off) button for 3 seconds.

4. While continuing to press the Power button, press the volume down button for 10 seconds.

5. While continuing to press the volume down button, release the Power button.

6. After about 10 seconds or so, iTunes should display that it has detected the iPhone in recovery. NOTE: Nothing will be displayed on the iPhone's screen. If the iPhone is displaying an image, the device is NOT in DFU mode.

7. Select to "Restore and Update" the device. Doing so will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh full copy of iOS 10.x onto the iPhone.

Afterwards, you can either set up the device as new or restore from a backup.

By the way, DFU stands for Device Firmware Upgrade and it allows iOS devices to be restored from any state.

Last edited:

Jeremy Jimenez

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Put An iPhone 7/7 Plus In DFU Mode

i've seen and tried this cause i'm actually having issues getting my 7 plus to go to beta 10.1 (profile installed developer account created and still not updating) getting it in DFU mode is pretty much last ditch effort (even apple who tried to help is saying wtf and think it's the firmware so it needs to go into recovery mode) but the problem is it still powers on like normal every time i try to do this method. any help is greatly appreciated

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Put An iPhone 7/7 Plus In DFU Mode

i've seen and tried this cause i'm actually having issues getting my 7 plus to go to beta 10.1 (profile installed developer account created and still not updating) getting it in DFU mode is pretty much last ditch effort (even apple who tried to help is saying wtf and think it's the firmware so it needs to go into recovery mode) but the problem is it still powers on like normal every time i try to do this method. any help is greatly appreciated

You are pressing the volume down button instead of the volume up or home button, right?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77