[GUIDE] How To Extract "Sounds" From iOS Apps To Be Used As Text Tones/Alerts

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After purchasing and installing a lot of apps on my iPhone and iPad, I discovered that there are some pretty cool sounds in those apps - many of which would make great text tones and other alerts for my iPhone. After a bit of exploring, I have discovered that these sounds can be extracted from the apps without too much effort. Since I?m a Mac user, the file locations and conversion apps mentioned in this "how to" are OS X specific. If you?re a Windows user, the location of the iTunes media should be similar, but you?re on your own to find a suitable audio file conversion utility. (You can also use an online conversion service like Zamzar.com)

The process seems to be a bit convoluted, but with a bit of practice, you can reap some really neat rewards. So, buckle up and let?s get started.

1. Locate the app that contains the tones you want to extract.
  2. Copy the app to your desktop. (Location of the app on your computer is Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/<app name>.ipa). This is necessary to ensure you don?t destroy/mess up the actual iOS app.
  3. Rename the file extension of the app to .zip file (myapp.ipa -> myapp.zip)
  4. Double click on the .zip file to create a folder (myapp) on your desktop
  5. Open the folder and find the PAYLOAD folder
  6. Open the folder and find the APP package (myapp.app)
  7. Right click and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS
  8. From here, it?s a matter of finding the audio files. Typically they are in a folder named AUDIO. They can be in any number of audio formats, including .wav, .mp3, .caf or even something else.
  9. Copy the sound files to your desktop, or to another location where you will be able to find them.
  10. Convert them using a media converter (I have several installed Amersoft Converter, MTS Converter and SmartConverter. You want to create .m4a files.
  11. Rename the .m4a (audio) files to .m4r (ringtone) files.
  12. Copy the tones into iTunes (just double click them to play/add them to iTunes).
  13. Sync your device.

Reactions: losangelesbuddy

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: [GUIDE] How To Extract "Sounds" From iOS Apps To Be Used As Text Tones/Alerts

This guide contains valuable information, sir. Thank you for writing it....:)

Last edited:

Aldo L

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello! I have used your method on a game app, but I didn't find any audio file, just a lot of .assets files... do you know any way to convert them?
Anyhow, this is fantastic! Thank you so much!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I have used your method on a game app, but I didn't find any audio file, just a lot of .assets files... do you know any way to convert them?
Anyhow, this is fantastic! Thank you so much!

Keep in mind the OP started this thread 3 years ago.

tedebea

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
Thank you Sir! This is helpful information. Wish i had a computer so that i could try this. There are so many apps and games with sound and effects that would make great alert tones or even ringtones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73