[GUIDE] 5 Easy Ways To Increase The Security On Your Device

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
5 EASY WAYS TO INCREASE SECURITY AND PRIVACY ON iOS 7

[INFO]When iOS 7 came out the software designers wanted to make many things quick, easy and simple to view and get to but of course with that comes certain risks in the way your security can be compromised.
There are too many things now that with the swipe of a finger, your voice or the push of your home button and you can see many things you could not before so quick and easy. Of course having said that there are a number of ways to lock down almost all of the same things mentioned in the previous sentence so that nobody that you didn't want to see anything except yourself can see these items. This is where I would like to give you some of these ideas to secure your new iOS and 5S from prying eyes.[/INFO][WARN]Remember with added security comes more effort to recover and get back the things that you locked away so ask yourself before you decide to use all of these or only a few of these ideas what is more important to you... Keep your info away from people you don't want to see what you have and feel secure when you set your phone down knowing your phone is secure when you walk away even if for a brief moment.
Keep all of your passwords in a secure place other than on your device even if you are using a Password Manager in case your phone is lost or compromised.
[/WARN]If your answer is stronger security Here's How...

1. Use a strong Passcode Lock. If you are using a new 5S of course you have the ability to see up your biometric Fingerprint reader should you decide to set it up and that in itself is strong security by setting up your Touch ID. When you constantly don't have to enter a numeric passcode every time and let your finger do the talking. You still have to set up a passcode but to be used instantly this takes away from you physically entering it as opposed to touching one of the fingers you set up on your Sensor and you have unlocked what you secured.
  2. Keep Personal Notifications And Toggles Off Your Lock Screen. It is very easy while your iPhone or iPad is sitting around to push the home button if you have no Passcodes or Touch ID set up and anyone can see whatever comes into your Notification or Today Screen. By turning these toggles off through your Settings App again you have now secured info from the wrong eyes.
  3. Turn on 2-Step Verification. Of course you will have to enter an App Specific Password and an additional password the first time you set this up on your device but as the saying goes... 2 steps are better than one.
  4. Keeping your Web Browsing, Location and especially Social Data private. Most often many of us completely forget about things like Facebook and Twitter on your device.
  5. Remember to wipe your Web History (Browser) each time you use it or set up your browser like Safari for Private browsing so cookies and other data are not kept each time you use your Safari Web Browser if you are using the Native App for your internet surfing.
  6. This is a most forgetful App that many people don't think about but now would be a good time to research using a good Password Manager. There are many of them and everyone has their favorite so take your time, Do some research on the forums and find out what the majority are using and why, Look up the info on what the App will do, Ask if it has a desktop equivalent which you can use as a backup or cloud service backup. Most of the better Password Managers has this type of service to secure all of those many passwords you use to get into all of the apps and places you visit to sign into.

[INFO]Here is a list of links that will help you in order to set up the tips and ideas I have named above along with the information on how these securities features work and what they offer to you in the way of locking things away from the people you don't want to read or have your important data compromised:

[/INFO]

Remember to never neglect the security features your handheld device has built into it when it is so easy to lay down and have someone whether you them them or the wrong person to pick up and just like that, Be able to go through and read and find out many things you did not intend for them to see. With following a few simple guidelines or all of them you will no longer have to be so paranoid about others reading and viewing your personal information.

As always this invaluble information would not be possible without the help of the iMore Blog and their group of writers. Thank you and Good Luck To everyone who uses all or any of this guide!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
By the way I know this Guide is called 5 easy steps but there are 6.... Number 6 is a sorta freebie so to speak to just give you an added layer should you choose to use it which iMore on the Blog side and I using 2 Password apps recommends. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Good info.

The only other possible thing I can think of is discussing the convenience/security trade off although I'm not sure if it should be part of this article or not. Like I do most of those things but I do have notification center and control center on my lock screen.
I do too Karen and have the Today as well. i am just cautious and like i said earlier even though it says 5 the extra or 6th one is just an extra layer of protection in using password apps. This guide is mainly just alternative thinking to give new people who are not up to speed on what Apple security is all about and how it works, What you have available to you if you should choose to use some or all. :) Thank you Karen.