Guessing game, what do you think the new iPhone will be called?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm sticking with my original guess: iPhone HD

If that's not coming until next year, then I figure "All New iPhone 3G" (iPhone 3G Summer 2009) -- just like they do with iMacs, MacBooks, etc.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if the HD name will stick unless they can get the OLED screens incorporated for a reasonable price. I mean there are LCD screens on the market that can do HD, but how much larger would they have to make the battery to support the higher graphics.

I am leaning toward something along the lines of the "iPhone 3G+." Seems as it will be a hardware refresh, not a complete overhaul.

In my opinion, the 4GHD should be next year.

Forgive me if I step on any toes, as I try to tread lightly. This is my first post on this forum after all.

"Si Je Puis"

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if the HD name will stick unless they can get the OLED screens incorporated for a reasonable price. I mean there are LCD screens on the market that can do HD, but how much larger would they have to make the battery to support the higher graphics.

I am leaning toward something along the lines of the "iPhone 3G+." Seems as it will be a hardware refresh, not a complete overhaul.

In my opinion, the 4GHD should be next year.

Forgive me if I step on any toes, as I try to tread lightly. This is my first post on this forum after all.

"Si Je Puis"

The new Samsung Omnia phone has an OLED screen, there might be others too..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Change the name altogether. I have to say I use the actual phone part by far the least of any other app or service. Being the only phone with the word "phone" in the name and using that the least is kind of strange to me.

Might be better to call it "iPocketMac" like the PocketPC's of the past. What did they call those little things they used to pass around in Star Trek for people too read info on? iPad?

More realistically though, I wouldn't be shocked if they just drop any tag and go back to just "iPhone".

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
More realistically though, I wouldn't be shocked if they just drop any tag and go back to just "iPhone".

Exactly. That's all that's printed on back of the 3G now. Macs aren't renamed G3, G4, and G5 anymore. Now that the iPhone is so popular the iPhone name by itself may just be enough.

I don't think they'll drop "phone" from the name, however. When non-techy people are looking for a mobile phone, they might not realize the Apple iMobile can make calls. ;)

procter256

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
My money is on iPhone, just the name iPhone. Look what did with the ipods and macbooks. After a while, they just called them by the product name. If you look at the model name, it'll go something like MacBook (2009), MacBook (2007)

DDAY

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I see it being called the iPhone Video or something based on that theme. Apple does an excellent job marketing things that aren't major. But if the v-conferencing rumors are true, then it'll definitely be called the iPhone Video.