Guess the Mini is Dead :(

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Man this sucks, I've had some money set aside for a while now just waiting for an updated mini. I know I'm apparently in the minority now a days but I prefer my devices to function well for their intended purpose and not be shabby multi-use devices. I have an SE for my daily use and love it for it's smaller manageable size. My tablet I prefer fortnight time use at home but I don't like the size of the full size ipads. So the mini would be perfect, but as I alluded to in another thread the current Mini models are too outdated for me since I have a Galaxy Tab S with a nicer screen. I was reeeally hoping for a new Mini to replace it with. Sigh, the older I get the i understand why some people hang on to their devices because the new stuff doesn't fit their needs.

Apple to discontinue iPad mini as device gets squeezed from both ends – BGR

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
You're not alone. I'm a big fan of the iPad mini as well. I have an iPad mini 2, but I wasn't looking to upgrade it anytime soon (I bought mine off eBay almost a year ago now). I like the size of the 9.7 inch iPads, but I really wanted the mini because it's much more portable.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I love being able to hold the smaller tablets (my Tab S 8.4 is a bit smaller still) in my hands and type easily with my thumbs. I'm able to reach any area of the screen and it's not cumbersome. I also find the size perfect for reading and watching YouTube videos.
I could understand that a full size would be better for a dedicated video device and other media and that's what some people are looking for. I just don't understand the argument I'm hearing more and more that larger phones are eating into tablet territory. With a larger phone you're losing out by lugging around a larger more awkward device Day to day. Then viewing content on it or view full websites for instance you are losing out by having the smaller screen. That's just my opinion though.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am really not in the market for a new ipad, I have a iPad mini 4 I purchased at launch but I am very disappointed if Apple pulls the mini line! I love this size iPad mini and I mostly use it like an​ oversize iPod touch really! All my entertainment is on my iPad and it's a perfect size to carry everywhere! They really need to do some market research before they decide to discontinue the line..

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I heard that, the reason Apple might be dropping the Mini is because it may hurt sales of their new upcoming devices. I'm also with everyone here, the Mini is a nice product and I do feel it still has a market but maybe it's just not generating enough sales. It's sort of like the MacBook Air, Apple could drop it and make the MacBook the new Air line.

Let's just wait and see, only about 3 weeks to go 😃

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Bought my wife's 128gb Verizon iPad mini 2 when it was first released and it still functions like it did that day. It gets AMAZING battery life still. My kids love it and it is built great. I wouldn't think of replacing it, in fact i may buy a mini 4 asap to keep the legend going.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Bought my wife's 128gb Verizon iPad mini 2 when it was first released and it still functions like it did that day. It gets AMAZING battery life still. My kids love it and it is built great. I wouldn't think of replacing it, in fact i may buy a mini 4 asap to keep the legend going.
My son has the mini 2 on wifi. It's been so laggy ever since the first iOS 10. Nothing has improved on that even through 10.3.2. Processor is just too underpowered.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
My son has the mini 2 on wifi. It's been so laggy ever since the first iOS 10. Nothing has improved on that even through 10.3.2. Processor is just too underpowered.
We have never had an issue. We watch movies, netflix, check emails use the web browser. We do not game on it at all. Don't do a lot of photo/video editing either but we look at photos and videos and it is smooth as silk.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I had a first-gen Mini for several years that my daughter now has. It had iOS 7 originally, which ran pretty smooth. iOS 8 bogged it down quite a bit, but 9.x runs pretty smooth albeit considerably slower than my new one with 10.3.2.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I just don't understand the argument I'm hearing more and more that larger phones are eating into tablet territory. With a larger phone you're losing out by lugging around a larger more awkward device Day to day. Then viewing content on it or view full websites for instance you are losing out by having the smaller screen. That's just my opinion though.

Over the years, you home in on the ideal individual setup, right? I grew weary of multi devices and am pleased with a 7 most of the time and the Air 2 when I need a closer look or when the iPhone is charging.

I love the screen on the 7 (pixel count is the same since 6 but they're enhanced somehow) and wouldn't walk across the room to switch to the iPad for video.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mini size is great -- I got mine when it came out because it was smaller and lighter than the full sized iPad which was a good bit heavier at the time. Now that the weight of the larger ones are less, I'm liking the 9.7, but mostly because my eyesight isn't as good as it was now that I'm 40+ (need to move up to the Plus phone next too).
I do think the Mini is definitely a lot more portable, so who knows what they've got cooked up to replace it like @Matty referenced. I had heard rumors of a phone a bit bigger than the current Plus, so we'll see.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

With iOS 10, and then 10.3, I did clean installs and set up as new. Not laggy at all here. Very snappy and works great still.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
With iOS 10, and then 10.3, I did clean installs and set up as new. Not laggy at all here. Very snappy and works great still.

It's a 4.5 year old processor. Devices will be laggy running the newer OS versions. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini 2 gets cut from iOS 11 due to the underpowered processor.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It's a 4.5 year old processor. Devices will be laggy running the newer OS versions. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini 2 gets cut from iOS 11 due to the underpowered processor.

I feel the A7 processor isn't really much slower than the A8 processor. In my opinion, the A8 processor used in the iPhone 6 and 6+ is underpowered compared to the A9 used in the iPhone 6S and 6S+.

Last edited: