GSM SIM-Free 5S Question

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I recently switched to AT&T from Verizon and I'm looking at possibly buying a 5S. I want to buy from the Apple website but the only way to get one off contract through them is the SIM-Free option. If I choose this, does this work on every band that AT&T has?

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on any connectivity or anything like that. Thanks and sorry for my noob-ness on this - I'm new to the GSM phone world!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Specify with the folks at the Apple Store you're intending to use the device on AT&T and they will make sure you get a device that is fully compatible with AT&T.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Specify with the folks at the Apple Store you're intending to use the device on AT&T and they will make sure you get a device that is fully compatible with AT&T.

But I don't have an Apple Store close, so I was looking at buying direct from the Apple Website. I cannot purchase one from them that is intended solely for AT&T because I'm not under a contract with AT&T - therefore the only option I have is to buy one on contract, which isn't at all what I want to do.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can call Apple and buy on the phone... they'll get you a SIM-free device that is fully compatible with AT&T.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If it's unlocked yes. It is the same exact phone.

Do you know how to tell if it is unlocked? Does whitelisted mean unlocked?

The reason I'm asking is because there is one on Swappa that I'm looking at. Trying to save money where I can. Buying Apple products gets a bit expensive!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No idea if your getting it from a third party like that other than getting the IMEI and contacting tmobile about whether it is unlocked.
If you were getting it direct from Apple or tmobile it should be unlocked if you pay full price rather than a subsidized price.

Thanks! Looks like it is tied to T-Mobile, so without getting it unlocked, it won't work for me. Maybe I should just splurge and spend the extra cash to get it straight from Apple to save any hassle or worry.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73