Gripe: Local businesses do a poor job of training their employees on how to use Apple Pay!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I want to share this to see if I buddy else has been having a similar experience. I have noticed at various businesses and restaurants that employees certain cash registers have no clue whether or not they take Apple Pay. I am often met with a clueless expression, which is aggravating, but not their fault!

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I wanna say...it’s been about five years since Apple Pay has been out? Ever since the iPhone 6 correct? .....and still...to this day.....almost all places that accept Apple Pay...the cashiers have no clue what Apple Pay is.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It was kind of amusing yesterday when the customer in front of me asked about Apple Pay, and the girl had no clue. Between the other customer and myself, we showed her how it worked. And while she was awed by how cool Apple Pay is, she was more impressed that two baby boomers knew something about technology that a millennial didn’t!

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
It was kind of amusing yesterday when the customer in front of me asked about Apple Pay, and the girl had no clue. Between the other customer and myself, we showed her how it worked. And while she was awed by how cool Apple Pay is, she was more impressed that two baby boomers knew something about technology that a millennial didn’t!

Annie you know we are always the ones who have to teach these stores how to use Apple Pay. They are clueless sometimes. They outta pay us for a quick class.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I’d say 80% of the places I use they have no idea. I don’t even ask anymore I just try it. I usually get a shocked face and “woah, cool!”

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to share this to see if I buddy else has been having a similar experience. I have noticed at various businesses and restaurants that employees certain cash registers have no clue whether or not they take Apple Pay. I am often met with a clueless expression, which is aggravating, but not their fault!

That has not been my experience here in Orlando. For one, many of those places have a sign of some sort clearly stating they accept Pay. There’s a BBQ place near me that does not have signage mentioning that it supports Pay, but when I asked the cashier, I was told that it was supported and sure enough, I was able to pay for my meal using Pay.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
And while she was awed by how cool Apple Pay is, she was more impressed that two baby boomers knew something about technology that a millennial didn’t!

Well, I feel the word "technology" means different things to different people.

To us, the baby boomers, technology is a means of convenience. For example, cars and phones have gotten "smarter" and will do more things today that wasn't even imaginable yesterday. Apple Pay is one of them.

To (some) millennials, technology is only social media. Period. That's their fundamentals of technology.

Which reminds me of this You Tube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I feel the word "technology" means different things to different people.

To us, the baby boomers, technology is a means of convenience. For example, cars and phones have gotten "smarter" and will do more things today that wasn't even imaginable yesterday. Apple Pay is one of them.

To (some) millennials, technology is only social media. Period. That's their fundamentals of technology.

Which reminds me of this You Tube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c

Awesome video....Downright awesome!...lol...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting enough, the gas station down the road from me doesn’t have signage for Apple Pay, nor do the terminals show tap to pay, yet it accepts it and the cashier knew it.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I suspect it may have to do with the cost of Apple devices and the fact that cashier jobs tend to have high turnover. However, I would contact the company's head of consumer relations and notify them of the problem.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's silly (I could be less kind) to pin this on an age bracket. Most retailers struggle to fill all positions. I'm an IT director for a group of grocery stores, liquor stores & meat markets. It is really clear that intelligence or lacking it goes across generations.

Even with attempts to train it is hard to have consistency - something I see even the best retailers including the Apple Store deal with. Higher quality and higher skills staff are even hard to get at twice the pay most cashiers get.

Just PCI DSS compliance should be creating better trained staff but lots of times it doesn't happen.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
In my region (I'm in Canada), most places I but from take Apple Pay by virtue of accepting Interac's Flash or MasterCard's PayPass tap-to-pay systems; even in places where they don't announce Apple Pay compatibility.

The only place where I never got Apple Pay to work is gas stations. For those that will take Visa/MC tap-to-pay, they won't recognize Apple Pay as a valid payment method.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox