GPS Issues

Tom_Dugan

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm having some serious problems with the GPS on my 7 Plus when using running apps. My path jumps around wildly, far more so than with my 6S. A run that registered as 3.5 miles on my old phone showed as 4.5 on the new phone. I live in an area with some tall buildings but the problem occurs where there are lower or no buildings too. My driving apps don't show the same jumpy path but I think the apps may be smoothing that out assuming I'm on a road.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas if there is a way to fix it? I'm on the latest 10.1 public beta.

Thx-

Tom

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Does it do this on more then one app, or is it just one app? If it's just the one app, try deleting the app, then reinstall it and give it permission to access location services.

Tom_Dugan

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Runtastic is my main app. I tried Runkeeper and MapMyRun too with similar results. Here is an example of the same rout with old phone and new phone. iMoreAppImg_20161010_192009.jpgiMoreAppImg_20161010_192021.jpg

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Runtastic is my main app. I tried Runkeeper and MapMyRun too with similar results. Here is an example of the same rout with old phone and new phone. View attachment 112852View attachment 112853

Whoa. lol. Looks like you were dancing all over the roads. I'm currently injured so haven't taken my 7 out for a run. I did have it at a race a few weeks ago and it was ok on Strava.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I know reviewer Erica Griffin complained on Twitter today about the GPS in her 7 Plus, telling her she was on an adjacent road. Wonder if some 7 Pluses might have bad GPS receivers, though one person responded about having trouble since updating to iOS 10 on her 6S. I haven't tried anything on mine yet, so I'll be interested to see how well it works on my phone.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The Maps app constantly shows me being in either an adjacent road or pointing in the wrong direction, promoting Siri to tell me to "Proceed to the route". Pretty frustrating. But the Find my iPhone app, Find my Friends, almost every other app I've tried so far is working normally.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The Maps app constantly shows me being in either an adjacent road or pointing in the wrong direction, promoting Siri to tell me to "Proceed to the route". Pretty frustrating. But the Find my iPhone app, Find my Friends, almost every other app I've tried so far is working normally.

8e21255a6e627a68f2e1e3ff474c83eb.png

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm curious if you've tried Google Maps, or another Navigation program? I'm curious if it appears to be more an issue with the Maps app, or possibly an issue where, when moving, the GPS has issues getting a good position fix.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
So it appears it may have issues with updating, as your position moves. I'll have to try mine soon, see if mine will work. How long does it take, after you start navigating, before the GPS acts up? Also, has anyone tested this on their 7 Plus that is running the 10.1 beta?

Some are also saying that if you put the phone in Airplane mode, then turn it back off after a few seconds, it will clear the issue (at least temporarily).

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
So it appears it may have issues with updating, as your position moves. I'll have to try mine soon, see if mine will work. How long does it take, after you start navigating, before the GPS acts up? Also, has anyone tested this on their 7 Plus that is running the 10.1 beta?

Some are also saying that if you put the phone in Airplane mode, then turn it back off after a few seconds, it will clear the issue (at least temporarily).

That's exactly what it's doing. Running stock 10.0.2 currently, thought about doing the beta if anyone noticed a fix within the update. With the Apple Maps app, it is immediately wrong. With both Google Maps & Waze, it will somewhat follow along (better than Apple Maps, for some reason) but gives me the "No GPS" error. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning on my route and see if that helps. Even temporarily, it would be better than what's going on currently.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what it's doing. Running stock 10.0.2 currently, thought about doing the beta if anyone noticed a fix within the update. With the Apple Maps app, it is immediately wrong. With both Google Maps & Waze, it will somewhat follow along (better than Apple Maps, for some reason) but gives me the "No GPS" error. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning on my route and see if that helps. Even temporarily, it would be better than what's going on currently.

I managed to test my phone tonight and had no issue. I was only running some errands, made two stops, and the longest distance was maybe 5 miles. I used both Google and Apple to navigate and never saw an issue. Not sure that it matters, I have a Verizon 7 Plus, 128 GB, and was using a T-Mobile SIM card.

At least one thought would be to try the beta and, if that doesn't help, make an appointment at the Apple Store.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I managed to test my phone tonight and had no issue. I was only running some errands, made two stops, and the longest distance was maybe 5 miles. I used both Google and Apple to navigate and never saw an issue. Not sure that it matters, I have a Verizon 7 Plus, 128 GB, and was using a T-Mobile SIM card.

At least one thought would be to try the beta and, if that doesn't help, make an appointment at the Apple Store.

Worked today!!! I'm also using the Verizon model but on AT&T, but it's worked all day!!! I'm currently traveling out of town on business, so if it acts up again I'll make an appointment. Thanks again!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Worked today!!! I'm also using the Verizon model but on AT&T, but it's worked all day!!! I'm currently traveling out of town on business, so if it acts up again I'll make an appointment. Thanks again!

I read where one person noticed he only had issues when connected to a particularly tower -- his thought was that there was some issue with that tower, possibly that he wasn't getting a strong/reliable data signal. It will be interesting to see if it still works in that same location. The good news, if it does have issues there, is that it is likely a software error that will be fixed in either an Apple or carrier update.

michael90s

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Based on what I have read I am having similar/same issue on three iPhone 7's (not Plus) on Sprint. I have read elsewhere that both 7 and Plus models seem to be having the same issue on some peoples' phones. The carrier does not appear to be a common factor. My last phone was an iPhone 6 Plus (not 6s) and I use GPS navigation daily and never had this issue with the 6 Plus. I have tested and had issues in Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze and Fitbit app when tracking a run/walk. Again all these same apps have worked fine in the same areas in the past with my old 6 Plus. I have an open ticket with Apple as of today and will also be contacting Sprint today...

jneusch

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have had issues using my 7 Plus while using Apple Maps via CarPlay. It has had me in the wrong location or as far as 7 miles away from where I truly was. It doesn't seem to be keeping up. I took my phone to the Genius bar and they replaced it for me. They told me it was not a known issue like the dropping 4G LTE problem that was addressed with today's update. We will see if the replacement solves my issues, but one thing I noticed right away was that the replacement seems more fluid and transitions between apps and screens faster and more smoothly. I restored from my back up, so everything is exactly as how it was before. Hopefully problem solved!

anon(124566)

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having some serious problems with the GPS on my 7 Plus when using running apps. My path jumps around wildly, far more so than with my 6S. A run that registered as 3.5 miles on my old phone showed as 4.5 on the new phone. I live in an area with some tall buildings but the problem occurs where there are lower or no buildings too. My driving apps don't show the same jumpy path but I think the apps may be smoothing that out assuming I'm on a road.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas if there is a way to fix it? I'm on the latest 10.1 public beta.

Thx-

Tom

My issue is with apple maps and google maps. It can't tell the direction I'm going.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the GPS lost issue as well and as soon as that happened I would lose my cellular signal as well. Apples' update that came out yesterday has fixed that so I'm happy again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR