Got my apple watch, Now what?

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So I got my apple watch a few days ago and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the look of the actual watch but I'm not sure of the value add to my life. I don't love the the app bubbles it looks kind of like a cluttered mess and I'm just kinda like what else does this thing do?

Anyone else feeling some what underwhelmed now that the anticipation of the purchase has worn off?

I signed up for a class at the store maybe if I learn more about it I'll get it more!?!?

I really want to love this watch but right now I'm feeling like I just blew $600 on a fit bit.

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
sunnysideup, it may help to download the manual from apple.com and read from cover to cover, this may help how you can change things to suite your use, have read all I could before receiving my watch I was ready and have enjoyed it from day one, reading all you can on the forum here will also help. I have never felt I have wasted my time or money on the apple watch, I hope you will eventually feel the same.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I got my apple watch a few days ago and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the look of the actual watch but I'm not sure of the value add to my life. I don't love the the app bubbles it looks kind of like a cluttered mess and I'm just kinda like what else does this thing do?

Anyone else feeling some what underwhelmed now that the anticipation of the purchase has worn off?

I signed up for a class at the store maybe if I learn more about it I'll get it more!?!?

I really want to love this watch but right now I'm feeling like I just blew $600 on a fit bit.

Maybe you did. Having said that, the first thing you need to figure out is in what manner do you want to use the Watch. Do you want it primarily for keeping track of time? Notifications without having to take out your iPhone? Fitness & health? Once you've figured that out, go into the Watch app and make the necessary changes to its settings. If you can't determine the manner in which you want to use the Watch, return it for a refund or sell it.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This is probably the 1st apple product purchase that I've been conflicted about.

Normally out the box I'm all in. This one is gonna require me to do some learning.

I still have time to figure it out so I'm gonna do as suggested this weekend and look at some how to's.

JumpingJayzuz

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I love mine. The app screen annoyed me too so I redesigned it and it works for me now. The thing I like most about the watch is that I can see who's texting/calling/mailing and instantly decide if I need to respond immediately or later. This is quite liberating. For some reason, if I saw a notification on my phone, I felt compelled to respond immediately, it demanded my attention. But seeing it on the watch I kinda triage on my own terms - can't really explain it, but it's helping me feel less stressed, especially on super busy days at work with many meetings and presentations.

Ron Rasmussen

May 8, 2015
Visit site
+1 on reading the manual. Plus I go through this forum every night and devour every piece of info I can find on the watch. iPhone hacks is another good place to get info.

sallenthornton

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I know how you feel. I ordered the space grey sport in April and received it a few days ago. I started to set it up, but lost interest in it before the setup was complete. Yesterday I returned it back to Apple. Maybe I will repurchase at a later date, but for now I am happy with my decision.

Adnams

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I love mine. The app screen annoyed me too so I redesigned it and it works for me now. The thing I like most about the watch is that I can see who's texting/calling/mailing and instantly decide if I need to respond immediately or later. This is quite liberating. For some reason, if I saw a notification on my phone, I felt compelled to respond immediately, it demanded my attention. But seeing it on the watch I kinda triage on my own terms - can't really explain it, but it's helping me feel less stressed, especially on super busy days at work with many meetings and presentations.

Agree totally with this - triaging emails is an absolute joy on this device. It has also indirectly freed me from notification hell - in preparation for getting my Watch, I did something that, with hindsight, I should have done ages ago and went through the Notification section on my iPhone and with each app, asked myself the question "Does this app really need to be able to notify me of anything that's massively important to my average day?". The answer in most cases was a definite "No".

I do a 40-mile round trip each day to get to work and back - my wife often rings me when I'm on my way home if she needs me to pick up something on the way and it means having to pull over to the side of the road (not possible on a UK motorway unless you fancy being arrested!), switch on Bluetooth on the phone, insert my Bluetooth earpiece and switch it on and then call her back. Now I can do that with a device permanently on my wrist. Pure convenience and I love it.

I would agree it's by no means an ESSENTIAL gadget - although I do believe Apple will only improve it with Watch 2 and successive models - but from my own point of view, about a day-and-a-half into having one, I'm already feeling as attached to it (no pun intended) as I am my iPhone and iPad.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still deciding how I feel about it. Yesterday, I felt like I got good use out of it. And today I'm gonna be out and about again so it will be another good day to see how well this works for me.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Last night I was finally able to redesign my app layout. Took forever to figure out a layout I liked but It's much better now. I don't feel like it looks so cluttered now.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I know how you feel. I ordered the space grey sport in April and received it a few days ago. I started to set it up, but lost interest in it before the setup was complete. Yesterday I returned it back to Apple. Maybe I will repurchase at a later date, but for now I am happy with my decision.

Yeah I'm still not convinced that I'm going to keep it. I'm gonna give it a few more days of use before I decide.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Coming from years of smartwatches, it takes a bit of time to get used to it. Having notifications on your wrist is the primary benefit. Having actionable notifications makes it even better.

Yesterday i got to use the mapping function and getting the directions on your wrist is a bonus... needed, nope, but nice absolutely :)

I picked up the sport model only because I wanted to see how well Apple would implement the Watch. I will be definitely be getting the SS model for v2 :)

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Coming from years of smartwatches, it takes a bit of time to get used to it. Having notifications on your wrist is the primary benefit. Having actionable notifications makes it even better.

Yesterday i got to use the mapping function and getting the directions on your wrist is a bonus... needed, nope, but nice absolutely :)

I picked up the sport model only because I wanted to see how well Apple would implement the Watch. I will be definitely be getting the SS model for v2 :)

I had my  watch light bulb moment and love it now! I kept waiting/expecting some earth shattering event but really all it took was a night out with my co workers. Instead of incessantly checking my phone I kept it in my purse and relied on my watch notifications. I then realized that I paid attention to what was happening in the present and I was distracted by my phone. Also I find siri to be quite accurate and I love be able to set a timer while I'm cooking. So I'm in it for the long haul and I think it will only get better with time.

Witness

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm still not convinced that I'm going to keep it. I'm gonna give it a few more days of use before I decide.

At $400, I was skeptical about keeping it. The main use for me was actionable notifications, texting, answering a call with hands full and the occasional Hey Siri. The apps aren't that great and I still use my Nike GPS watch for runs. At $600, I'd just return it. That's a lot of money for not a lot of return. You can either spend $200 less for the Sport, or spend $400 less and get something like the Pebble or the Microsoft Band. Good luck.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Give it time. My first smartwatch, I had my doubts over and then over a period of time when I got used to the notifications, that changed it all. Now a regular watch seems frustrating to use.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
At $400, I was skeptical about keeping it. The main use for me was actionable notifications, texting, answering a call with hands full and the occasional Hey Siri. The apps aren't that great and I still use my Nike GPS watch for runs. At $600, I'd just return it. That's a lot of money for not a lot of return. You can either spend $200 less for the Sport, or spend $400 less and get something like the Pebble or the Microsoft Band. Good luck.

I've decided I'm keeping my watch. I find it quite useful and really like it. For me a $200 savings isn't enough of an incentive to downgrade to the sport model. I don't like the brushed aluminum and it doesn't have a sapphire face. I wear a watch every day and the watch I literally wore everyday for 2 years is also stainless with a sapphire face. The face still looks perfect. The body which got light scratches was buffed to new. So for me the sport model is a non option.

I'm just starting to get good use of it and now can see the point and am willing to work through the kinks on this new device.

keity

Banned
May 2, 2015
Visit site
Give it time. My first smartwatch, I had my doubts over and then over a period of time when I got used to the notifications, that changed it all. Now a regular watch seems frustrating to use.

Don't be frustrated. I have had same thinking like you. But after some days all is gone. LOL!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods