Google sync or iCloud

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to get some opinions on these two types of services. Which do you prefer? I have been using Google sync for some time for my mail, calendar and contacts but, am considering using iCloud. Could anyone please give me their opinions on what services they use. I currently am syncing two iPhones with the same calendar account but separate mail and contact accounts. Can you suggest a better way to do this than with Google sync.

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Use iCloud for the calendar and contact sync and us the gmail app from the App Store for email. I would use my iCloud email as well if I didn't have my entire life tied to my gmail email account. iCloud is fantastic! I have used gmail exchange for years and I love the change to iCloud and the Gmail App Store app.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I switched my contacts and calendar from Google to iCloud. I have custom domains hosted by Google, so they'll stay where they are until iCloud can offer me mail hosting.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Use iCloud for the calendar and contact sync and us the gmail app from the App Store for email. I would use my iCloud email as well if I didn't have my entire life tied to my gmail email account. iCloud is fantastic! I have used gmail exchange for years and I love the change to iCloud and the Gmail App Store app.

Thanks for the reply. I may try the iCloud route. Is it possible to sync two phones with one calendar? My wife and I both have iPhones. We share one calendar but have separate email and contacts via Google. I do have the gmail app but find I prefer the native mail app for its speedy, ease of use. I can check and delete msgs on the native app quicker than I can with the gmail app. Plus, I don't like how the signature feature works with Gmail. It never puts the signature directly below your reply.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Ali, curious why you didn't leave Contacts and Calendar with Google?

I know the Calendar with iCloud has a few more options for notifications, but what else?

I switched my contacts and calendar from Google to iCloud. I have custom domains hosted by Google, so they'll stay where they are until iCloud can offer me mail hosting.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I may try the iCloud route. Is it possible to sync two phones with one calendar? My wife and I both have iPhones. We share one calendar but have separate email and contacts via Google. I do have the gmail app but find I prefer the native mail app for its speedy, ease of use. I can check and delete msgs on the native app quicker than I can with the gmail app. Plus, I don't like how the signature feature works with Gmail. It never puts the signature directly below your reply.

Yes, you can share your calendars. iCloud: Share a calendar with others

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ali, curious why you didn't leave Contacts and Calendar with Google?

I know the Calendar with iCloud has a few more options for notifications, but what else?

Mostly because it was starting to get confusing using different servers. I finally went ahead and cleaned out my contact lists in both, and went with iCloud. Once I'd done that, it seemed natural to just stick with the iCloud calendar.

As it turns out, I'm glad I did since it looks like Google is discontinuing active sync.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, well, looks like I'll have to switch to iCloud myself. I did this about 3-4 weeks ago, but was a little annoyed because the email portion seemed a little slow.

Anyway, I digress.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox