Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

Definitely will :). Who knows.. I may get an Apple Watch. I really like the thought of the sharing where you can compete with friends for fun or whatever :).
Wahoo! Good to hear!!!

I’m sure you know, I’ve been going back and forth between the pixel 2 XL and iPhone X for months on end! I really wanted the pixel to work in the end since I don’t really like Apple as a company. I think they are super shady, overpriced and their big updates don’t focus enough of what their customers really want (AOD, grouped notifications, etc.) I’m heading iOS 12 will be just another stability update

But, in the end the ecosystem has me in for the long haul! I have an iMac for work, an iPad, an iPhone and soon to be a new series 3 AW. Nothing on the android side is that cohesive. Hope you enjoy using the X again! Report back!!!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Definitely will :). Who knows.. I may get an Apple Watch. I really like the thought of the sharing where you can compete with friends for fun or whatever :).

Wow I think you're getting crazy! Haha j/k.

Don't let yourself get stuck in it like I have and so many others, although that is very difficult to avoid.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Haha yeah that's the scary part. I have an Apple TV 4k in my PC room so now .. it'll work with that. Slowly connecting all the things :x
Wow I think you're getting crazy! Haha j/k.

Don't let yourself get stuck in it like I have and so many others, although that is very difficult to avoid.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Haha yeah that's the scary part. I have an Apple TV 4k in my PC room so now .. it'll work with that. Slowly connecting all the things :x

Yeah you have to do it slowly, or else you will burn holes in both your pockets!

Question, are you not interested in the pixel 3? What's making you try iOS now before the launch of the new pixel?

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Pixel 2 was such a disappointment for me that I decided to try the iPhone X back in March and haven't looked back. My old S7 is in a box ready to sell on Swappa at any moment, now that I am fully in with iOS. Sure, not having AOD and sucky notifications is a bummer, but Bluetooth...my god, Bluetooth is actually stable with the iPhone, something that I never could say with Android. And that is my number one reason why I am sticking it out with the X.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 2 was such a disappointment for me that I decided to try the iPhone X back in March and haven't looked back. My old S7 is in a box ready to sell on Swappa at any moment, now that I am fully in with iOS. Sure, not having AOD and sucky notifications is a bummer, but Bluetooth...my god, Bluetooth is actually stable with the iPhone, something that I never could say with Android. And that is my number one reason why I am sticking it out with the X.

Yeah the AOD and sucky notifications don't make the iPhone unusable and they aren't significant enough for me to leave for Android. I keep crawling back to iOS and that's for a reason, sticking with it! What do you think about the new lineup coming in September? Will you go for the X plus?

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I am interested in the Pixel 3 for sure. I just like some of the iPhone perks and the watch.
Yeah you have to do it slowly, or else you will burn holes in both your pockets!

Question, are you not interested in the pixel 3? What's making you try iOS now before the launch of the new pixel?

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have never had problem with Bluetooth with any of my phone to be honest. The notifications are going to bother me but I can work around them the only thing I think that will drive me a little more crazy than anything else is Carplay.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I have never had problem with Bluetooth with any of my phone to be honest. The notifications are going to bother me but I can work around them the only thing I think that will drive me a little more crazy than anything else is Carplay.

Man, I went through about 12 Android phones in 2017 and I wasn't happy with Bluetooth performance at all. The OnePlus 5T was probably the best one I had that didn't drive me up the wall with disconnects and packet loss that would make music sound really weird at times. In the car, I had less problems, but oddly enough, the Bluetooth in the Pixel 2 gave my head unit the most difficulty, not really sure why either. Oh well, we all have our problems, so finding something that works for you is really the key to all of this, as no phone is one size fits all.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Yeah the AOD and sucky notifications don't make the iPhone unusable and they aren't significant enough for me to leave for Android. I keep crawling back to iOS and that's for a reason, sticking with it! What do you think about the new lineup coming in September? Will you go for the X plus?

I have no interest at all in the X plus, as I find the size of the current X to be perfect. Anything bigger would make me annoyed. However, I am curious about what they are doing with the SE...

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I have no interest at all in the X plus, as I find the size of the X to be perfect. Anything bigger would make me annoyed. However, I am curious about what they doing with the SE...

I’m right there with ya, I think the size of the phone and the screen size is just perfect! Fits in my hand like a glove and isn’t too small or too big. I just read the SE is getting no design change! Just better internals if I find the article I will quote you on it

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well got it all setup and such. My main thing is ensuring I get reminders from Google since I have Google homes all around the house. I think I got that setup.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Oh sorry I thought that was the name ;x

Haha! You know better! j/k. If you do it again you might give @Tartarus an aneurism. :tongue:

Glad to see your experiment continue. I'll be experimenting with the opposite when the U12+ is delivered. (Not too much of an experiment, it's just been a while since I've had a HTC device. The M9 was the last one I had.)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone a heavy Google user? My main thing is assistant freezes often it seems on iPhone. Also how do you manage reminders from Google to ensure you don't miss them ?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Is anyone a heavy Google user? My main thing is assistant freezes often it seems on iPhone. Also how do you manage reminders from Google to ensure you don't miss them ?
I downloaded both Google Assistant and the main Google app right after I/O to test the new features as they're enabled. I've yet to launch Assistant once, and have only used the Google app as an additional news reader. I just can't get in the habit of using them.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded both Google Assistant and the main Google app right after I/O to test the new features as they're enabled. I've yet to launch Assistant once, and have only used the Google app as an additional news reader. I just can't get in the habit of using them.

Yeah my gripe is just I'm a heavy Google user so reminders are a big thing. It seems they don't notify for Google as well on iPhone :(

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Where are you adding Google Reminders from? Google Calendar, Inbox, Keep, or the Google App?

Assistant. Usually I just ask a Google home around me or something. It adds it to reminders and also the calendar on Android. On iPhone I see it in the calendar just no pop for a notification.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Assistant. Usually I just ask a Google home around me or something. It adds it to reminders and also the calendar on Android. On iPhone I see it in the calendar just no pop for a notification.

I'm wondering if it's because a date, time, and frequency needs to be selected from calendar. It's probably all automated using Android, but it may have to be done directly in iOS. Or maybe in order to get a notification the reminder has to be put in on device instead of using Home or other method. I'm just guessing here as I don't use Reminders. I also found these two suggestions online.

1. Open the Google Calendar app Google Calendar app icon > Go to your phone settings > Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Tap Gmail > Check if the Calendar is turned on (Turn off and turn on to refresh the sync settings).
2. Remove your account: Open the Google Calendar app Google Calendar app icon > On the top left, tap Menu > On the top right, tap Settings > Tap Manage accounts > On the top right, tap Edit > Remove your accounts > Tap Done.
3. Restart your device.
4. Re-establish account: Open the Google Calendar app Google Calendar app icon > On the top left, tap Menu > On the top right, tap Settings > Tap Manage accounts > On the top right, tap Edit > Add your account (Follow the prompts to add the account) > Tap Done.

Go to your device's Settings.
Scroll down to Google Calendar.
Click Notifications.
Make sure Allow notifications is turned on (green).
If it's already turned on, turn it off, restart the device and then turn it back on.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I have to admit that I quit using reminders because of how stupid the iPhone handles them. Even with using the Google Assistant, it never gave me a good enough reminder.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR