Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

I would hate getting email notifications. I check email when I’m in the mood to deal with emails. I want notifications for texts, missed calls, and some calendar events. That’s it. IOS is fine for that for me.
Yeah not me. I have emails I need to act on throughout the day so it's helpful to know when they come in.

Although in your case you could shut certain notifications off on Android such as emails so you only get what you want. :)

Either way for me the notifications are my only real complaint. They just aren't as helpful as when on Android.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Yeah not me. I have emails I need to act on throughout the day so it's helpful to know when they come in.

Although in your case you could shut certain notifications off on Android such as emails so you only get what you want. :)

Either way for me the notifications are my only real complaint. They just aren't as helpful as when on Android.

On android if you see those status bar icons as notifications they won’t go away until you clear or read them from your Notification Center

On iPhone you can have notifications build up for years and never have to clear them. The whole “pull down” action from the status bar on android is a must while on the iPhone I find that I rarely pull down to see the Notification Center, I just go directly to the app since there is a badge number

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well I didn't make it the full week. I swapped back over the weekend. Not due to anything I hate on the iPhone i just simply missed my comfort zone pick (My 2 XL).

I came away with a new appreciation for Apple embracing change. I really liked the gestures and feel that was way better then the old school home button. I get people don't like change so they may want the iPhone 8 for that but I definitely say give it a try for anyone who is curious. Took me an hour or two to get fully used to then I was zipping between apps.

FaceID is pretty awesome. I thought it would be a meh thing but after using it day to day it is actually nice. Looking to unlock but also mainly because I use a Password Manager (LastPass) and just tapping it, it unlocking from me looking, and it going was very nice. I didn't get test FaceID with Apple Pay though since I didn't want to go through setting that up for my short period with it.

Everything else worked like it should. iMessage, phone calls, bluetooth, etc. -- I will admit I did like iMessage for sending video a few times of my nephew.

I really could see myself using it as my daily driver without a true issue. I just simply prefer the Pixel 2 XL but with the changes to the X (mainly the gestures) I could use it easier. Oh the form factor helps as well. My Pixel 2 XL felt giant to me for the past day or two since i was used to the smaller factor of the X :p.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the commentary. I enjoyed reading this thread. I have a 6s as a spare. But my daily driver is also a pixel 2 xl.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Almeuit. I can understand that attraction both ways. Right now I'm on my Mate 9. It's always refreshing to hop back and forth but iMessage really has a grip on me. Enjoy your 2 XL and stop by anytime. The AC forums are lucky to have ya.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Well I didn't make it the full week. I swapped back over the weekend. Not due to anything I hate on the iPhone i just simply missed my comfort zone pick (My 2 XL).

I came away with a new appreciation for Apple embracing change. I really liked the gestures and feel that was way better then the old school home button. I get people don't like change so they may want the iPhone 8 for that but I definitely say give it a try for anyone who is curious. Took me an hour or two to get fully used to then I was zipping between apps.

FaceID is pretty awesome. I thought it would be a meh thing but after using it day to day it is actually nice. Looking to unlock but also mainly because I use a Password Manager (LastPass) and just tapping it, it unlocking from me looking, and it going was very nice. I didn't get test FaceID with Apple Pay though since I didn't want to go through setting that up for my short period with it.

Everything else worked like it should. iMessage, phone calls, bluetooth, etc. -- I will admit I did like iMessage for sending video a few times of my nephew.

I really could see myself using it as my daily driver without a true issue. I just simply prefer the Pixel 2 XL but with the changes to the X (mainly the gestures) I could use it easier. Oh the form factor helps as well. My Pixel 2 XL felt giant to me for the past day or two since i was used to the smaller factor of the X :p.

It was nice having ya over here the past week!!!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

I had almost the same experience, but in the opposite direction. I tried the Pixel 2 XL for a couple weeks and could have been perfectly happy keeping it. However, it was just easier returning to the comfort of iOS. Now using an iPhone X and very happy with it, but missing a few things from the 2 XL.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I had almost the same experience, but in the opposite direction. I tried the Pixel 2 XL for a couple weeks and could have been perfectly happy keeping it. However, it was just easier returning to the comfort of iOS. Now using an iPhone X and very happy with it, but missing a few things from the 2 XL.

I too tried out the pixel 2 and went back to iOS...same reasons you have and find myself missing the pixel even though I didn’t even last a week on it. I know the iPhone is better for me but can’t stop telling myself I’d enjoy the pixel more. Idk anymore

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Flagships are so good nowadays that it can really be a tough decision. Even my year-old Huawei Mate 9 is really good.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I’m the exact same way. In the last few years I’ve purchased Android phones mainly the Nexus 6 and then 6P and I also tried the Galaxy S8 and each time I tried to use it exclusively for any length of time I could barely last two days.

And it was mostly due to my not liking certain things in Android like the text selection, not having visual voicemail in the phone app having to do stupid workarounds whereas on iOS it just worked. All the little polishes in iOS add up for me and Android has too many annoying things for me to use it as my daily again.

ecr80

May 21, 2012
Visit site

I assumed carplay could do this as well until I found out you have to have a "Hub" from apple in the form of an Apple TV or an iPad that stays at home at all times.

Homekit doesnt use your logins like Google does. Instead it pairs devices so it requires a device in the home to relay the commands from your phone. Thats not an issue if you have either of these available but I dont. So to achieve some of the same function (Except my honeywell smart thermostat because its not Homekit rated for some reason) it requires buying at least a $160 Apple TV that I have no use for.
Hmm if i'm not mistaken Google Assistant requires Google Home in the home, if you're sending commands from outside the home to devices in the home.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

Nope, just your phone. The home speakers are just addons you can add in the home so you dont need your phone.

All the remote capabilities are handled through the manufacturer logins.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Hmm if i'm not mistaken Google Assistant requires Google Home in the home, if you're sending commands from outside the home to devices in the home.
Nope. You just need your phone. The speakers at home are optional.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well... now I am in an interesting situation. My buddy is going to do me another solid since I have been peaking at iPhone again .. especially since my gf got an Apple Watch...

He is going to trade his iPhone X to me for my Pixel 2 XL (he has an extra iPhone X) and this way he said I can try it for a few months this time before the new batch of phones. That way when they come out I can truly decide on either iPhone/iWatch combo or Pixel 3 / Pixel Combo since I will have given Android a try (obviously) but this time he says I can do a "true" test of the iPhone X.

So today after work I will head on over to his house to start the process. Also yes I know this trade is unfair for him (I even told him that) he said he doesn't care since it is me. He is always super nice to me lol :p.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Well... now I am in an interesting situation. My buddy is going to do me another solid since I have been peaking at iPhone again .. especially since my gf got an Apple Watch...

He is going to trade his iPhone X to me for my Pixel 2 XL (he has an extra iPhone X) and this way he said I can try it for a few months this time before the new batch of phones. That way when they come out I can truly decide on either iPhone/iWatch combo or Pixel 3 / Pixel Combo since I will have given Android a try (obviously) but this time he says I can do a "true" test of the iPhone X.

So today after work I will head on over to his house to start the process. Also yes I know this trade is unfair for him (I even told him that) he said he doesn't care since it is me. He is always super nice to me lol :p.

Please don’t say iWatch, please. I beg of you.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

iWatch goes well with iPhone.
Don't wanna mess Ive's symmetry lol.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Wahoo! Good to hear!!!

I’m sure you know, I’ve been going back and forth between the pixel 2 XL and iPhone X for months on end! I really wanted the pixel to work in the end since I don’t really like Apple as a company. I think they are super shady, overpriced and their big updates don’t focus enough of what their customers really want (AOD, grouped notifications, etc.) I’m heading iOS 12 will be just another stability update

But, in the end the ecosystem has me in for the long haul! I have an iMac for work, an iPad, an iPhone and soon to be a new series 3 AW. Nothing on the android side is that cohesive. Hope you enjoy using the X again! Report back!!!