Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all :p. I am Almeuit. Some of you I know ... and some of you I don't. I am the Mod Team Lead from iMore's sister site -- Android Central.

I am what you would call a Pixel / Android junkie. I am all in with Google and things of that nature. I have a Chromecast at home, 2x Chromecast Ultra, 2x Google Home Mini, Google Home, hopefully a Google Home Max one of these days, and I use a Pixel 2 XL as my daily driver. I have tried many Android phones (All Samsung ones, LG, some HTC, some Motorola, etc.) but I have found my home w/ the Pixel phones. As I have gotten older I value things like security updates which.. in the Android world... nothing beats the Pixel on that due to updates from Google.

Okay okay enough random nonsense about me. Basically I am in possession of an iPhone X from a good buddy of mine. He is lending it to me so I can give the iPhone a good try. I tried it in the past (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 6 Plus) but I figure Apple has revamped the whole thing so... why not give the iPhone X a try? :D.

I just got it all setup. All apps installed/logged in. Face ID is up and running and I am locked onto my Verizon LTE. I figure I will post here if I run into weird things / have questions but other then that... if you have any tips I am all ears! ^_^

Edit - see here. https://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?p=3065866

Last edited:

Luke18

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

Not sure of this is the correct place to ask this question but.....

Welcome, I’m interested in your take on the Google Pixel 2/ 2 XL.....I’m actually kind of torn myself. While i love IPhone and IOS and have had almost everyone IPhone available....I’m interested in may be switching it up. I was opting for the Note 8 but have come to do some more research and it seems like the Pixel 2/2 XL is very underrated....maybe an under dog!! I’m also very big into Google, have a google home and have almost all google apps on my iPhone.

One main question i have is, is the screen as bad as they say it is?

Thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Enjoy your one week stay in our fabulous world @Almeuit.

If you have any questions, please keep them coming. We love them.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Hey @Almeuit! Nice to see you over on imore. I always have valued our shared/quoted posts we have gone back and forth on so I am really excited to see what you have to say about the iPhone X. I have an X and got the pixel 2 XL to try and didn't last very long with it due to the screen issues. Curious to see how you compare the two!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not sure of this is the correct place to ask this question but.....

Welcome, I’m interested in your take on the Google Pixel 2/ 2 XL.....I’m actually kind of torn myself. While i love IPhone and IOS and have had almost everyone IPhone available....I’m interested in may be switching it up. I was opting for the Note 8 but have come to do some more research and it seems like the Pixel 2/2 XL is very underrated....maybe an under dog!! I’m also very big into Google, have a google home and have almost all google apps on my iPhone.

One main question i have is, is the screen as bad as they say it is?

Thanks

No worries :). The screen really isn't that bad to be honest. If I go looking for the "blue tint" then yes I can 100% see it.. but I have to lean pretty far while watching my video to purposely see it. Day to day use I never think of said issue since I don't see it. Only if I see it on a forum or something does it come to mind (or if I lean to see) :p.

The Note 8 is a great phone as well. Pixel 2 XL is my main due to security.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Hey @Almeuit! Nice to see you over on imore. I always have valued our shared/quoted posts we have gone back and forth on so I am really excited to see what you have to say about the iPhone X. I have an X and got the pixel 2 XL to try and didn't last very long with it due to the screen issues. Curious to see how you compare the two!

I have enjoyed our postings as well :). I have never hated iOS or anything it just wasn't "for me" type of thing, ya know? A lot don't beleive me but I recommend iPhones for most friends/family versus Android even though I love Android more. I go off a persons needs not mine :).

My first few hours so far w/ the iPhone X aren't bad though. Notifications still bother me on iOS (that is prob. my #1 complaint) but the FaceID is nicer then I thought it would be.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I have enjoyed our postings as well :). I have never hated iOS or anything it just wasn't "for me" type of thing, ya know? A lot don't beleive me but I recommend iPhones for most friends/family versus Android even though I love Android more. I go off a persons needs not mine :).

My first few hours so far w/ the iPhone X aren't bad though. Notifications still bother me on iOS (that is prob. my #1 complaint) but the FaceID is nicer then I thought it would be.

Yes you are always partial and accepting to the other side which is nice and understanding on your part. I as well hate the notifications but it is something I can just deal with. It's not a deal breaker for me to move away from iOS and then lose iMessage and FaceTime which are what important to me. I don't think notifications will ever progress on the right direction on iOS.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I never thought I'd see you over here. Truthfully I didnt think I'd be over here either.

Right there with ya on the notifications. I dont know why Apple refuses to simplify them in groups. Just wait till you think you've cleared them and then a swipe from up from the lockscreen reveals some form a day or 2 earlier.

Like you, Im heavily invested in the google side of things, albeit with a Note 8. All the same google accessories etc. Siri so far has not been great and Apples Homekit has been rather disappointing, especially when compared to the Google Home implementation.

The good however is actually really good. Battery life is on par with my Note 8. Bluetooth has been substantially better. Interaction with 90% of the people I know is obviously better since they use iOS. The camera has been fantastic. Lastly, the form factor is very nice and comfortable, especially when pocketing the phone.

I do wish they would revamp iOS but overall its a pretty nice phone. If Im being honest though, I dont see you leaving Android.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I never thought I'd see you over here. Truthfully I didnt think I'd be over here either.

Right there with ya on the notifications. I dont know why Apple refuses to simplify them in groups. Just wait till you think you've cleared them and then a swipe from up from the lockscreen reveals some form a day or 2 earlier.

Like you, Im heavily invested in the google side of things, albeit with a Note 8. All the same google accessories etc. Siri so far has not been great and Apples Homekit has been rather disappointing, especially when compared to the Google Home implementation.

The good however is actually really good. Battery life is on par with my Note 8. Bluetooth has been substantially better. Interaction with 90% of the people I know is obviously better since they use iOS. The camera has been fantastic. Lastly, the form factor is very nice and comfortable, especially when pocketing the phone.

I do wish they would revamp iOS but overall its a pretty nice phone. If Im being honest though, I dont see you leaving Android.

Yeah I truly don't see me leaving Android for it. It was just hard for the phone nerd in me to not try the latest and greatest Apple.. especially for free thanks to my buddy :).

I probably won't get to try HomeKit and stuff. I forgot to mention I also do have the Nest and two Nest Detects (the smoke detectors) along with Phillips Hue lights all setup already. I have been using the Google Assistant on Android to control lights and stuff easily so I assume I should be able to do the same when I get home tonight from Pool (i.e. "Turn on the Office Lamp" etc.).

The Form factor is pretty slim. I am used to the 2 XL and this thing feels tiny but still has nice screen real estate.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

All this talk about later tonight just reminded me ... I need to go find the night filter and turn that on so the screen won't be blinding white at night haha :p.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I probably won't get to try HomeKit and stuff. I forgot to mention I also do have the Nest and two Nest Detects (the smoke detectors) along with Phillips Hue lights all setup already. I have been using the Google Assistant on Android to control lights and stuff easily so I assume I should be able to do the same when I get home tonight from Pool (i.e. "Turn on the Office Lamp" etc.).

Thats pretty much my complaint with Homekit. When your home it works great from the phone however when we have google homes everywhere its kind of pointless to use the phone. Its much faster to just use the Google Home.

The problem comes into play when you're away from home. I got accustomed to telling android auto to open the garage, turn on the lights and set the thermostat to a certain temp when I was pulling into my subdivision. I assumed carplay could do this as well until I found out you have to have a "Hub" from apple in the form of an Apple TV or an iPad that stays at home at all times.

Homekit doesnt use your logins like Google does. Instead it pairs devices so it requires a device in the home to relay the commands from your phone. Thats not an issue if you have either of these available but I dont. So to achieve some of the same function (Except my honeywell smart thermostat because its not Homekit rated for some reason) it requires buying at least a $160 Apple TV that I have no use for.

Ive resorted to installing Google Assistant and putting a widget on the widget screen. Its not horrible since I can use the phone while in Carplay (unlike Android Auto) and slide to the widget to tell it my commands.

The one upside however is Homekit and Siri can control scenes on the Philips Hues unlike Google without ifttt.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

I think it’s cool that you’re taking iOS for a spin. I can’t give up iOS because it just suits me but I always try to keep up with the latest android releases because they are cool and I have friends at work who are always asking me for help with their devices, even when I’ve never used them. Haha!
I tried the Note 8 and liked it but it wasn’t iOS. Would love a chance to try a Pixel, though. I don’t see it pulling me away from Apple but I’ve been intrigued since the release last year.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

All this talk about later tonight just reminded me ... I need to go find the night filter and turn that on so the screen won't be blinding white at night haha :p.

Settings > Display & Brightness

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm here for the updates... I love hearing different people's opinions on the two platforms.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

The problem comes into play when you're away from home. I got accustomed to telling android auto to open the garage, turn on the lights and set the thermostat to a certain temp when I was pulling into my subdivision. I assumed carplay could do this as well until I found out you have to have a "Hub" from apple in the form of an Apple TV or an iPad that stays at home at all times.

Oh wow didn't even think of Android Auto (I use it in my Truck) turning into CarPlay for now haha. Yeah that will be a change not being able to ask it those things. While I agree with you that it isn't absolutely needed it still was convenient w/ GA and AA.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Oh wow didn't even think of Android Auto (I use it in my Truck) turning into CarPlay for now haha. Yeah that will be a change not being able to ask it those things. While I agree with you that it isn't absolutely needed it still was convenient w/ GA and AA.

GA and AA was the perfect combination imo. Especially when they added Waze. No Waze on CarPlay unfortunately.