Google Contacts

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I recently started using Google Contacts and have set up iTunes to sync my contacts with Google and not Outlook, everything seems to work well.

I have also set up a GMail Exchange account on my iPhone with Push enabled, again, everything works brilliantly.

I have certain contacts allocated special ring tones and photo's so I can tell who is calling - nothing special in that, I'm sure most people have a set-up like this.

I have noticed that in my exchange settings for my GMail account I can choose to have my contacts kept in sync real time, that is, via Push. My current set up is just to sync mail only.

If I enable the syncing of contact to, I get a warning on my iPhone asking whether I want to keep the existing contacts on my phone.

Question: If I opt to keep existing contacts, will I see duplicates? Also, if I choose NOT to keep the existing contacts on my phone, will I loose my special ring tone/photo set-up? Will it also affect my birthday list?

A few questions there, sorry. But I have hundreds of contacts and don't want to loose them or make a tremendous job for myself allocating the ring tones/photo's again.

FYI, I have already synced my iPhone contacts with Google contacts via iTunes. Just want to activate push sync for contacts with minimum of hassle.

Thanks.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
If you choose not to delete the contacts you'll have duplicates show up in the iPhone. But if you already them all in Gmail. You should just choose the option to erase the existing ones on the iPhone.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why are you also syncing them with iTunes?

I was thinking the same thing. I remember changing that setting once and only once for my sister when I changed her from syncing with Itunes to Google. And that was just to make the initial transfer of the contacts from iPhone to gmail so she wouldnt have to re-enter everyone of her contacts. And the I just unchecked the option to sync contacts in iTunes.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I initially was syncing Outlook via iTunes so that I would have a backup of all my contacts if I needed to restore. Now I use Google contacts, Outlook sync is no longer required as I can always export my Google contacts and save that as a backup.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. You will be pleased to know I have now enabled PUSH for Contacts, Mail (always was anyway) and Calendar. I chose to delete contacts from iPhone but that was not a problem as they just synced back from Google.

I have also retained my individual ring tones and photos for my "caller-ID".

All in all, a success, seems I was worried for nothing!

BTW, I have now unchecked the mail sync option in iTunes.

Thanks again.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I initially was syncing Outlook via iTunes so that I would have a backup of all my contacts if I needed to restore. Now I use Google contacts, Outlook sync is no longer required as I can always export my Google contacts and save that as a backup.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. You will be pleased to know I have now enabled PUSH for Contacts, Mail (always was anyway) and Calendar. I chose to delete contacts from iPhone but that was not a problem as they just synced back from Google.

I have also retained my individual ring tones and photos for my "caller-ID".

All in all, a success, seems I was worried for nothing!

BTW, I have now unchecked the mail sync option in iTunes.
Thanks again.

I'm currently using a blackberry (storm2) and will be switching to Verizon's iPhone4 in a few weeks. I too have a Gmail account and sync my current blackberry (wired sync) with microsoft outlook.

I've tried "google sync" and blackberry "bis" sync (wireless) and had tons of problems - never synced correctly - always had duplicate contacts, multiple calendar entries and/or incorrect contact information. I always reverted back to "wired" syncing with outlook.

When I get my iPhone4, I will configure Gmail thru microsft exchange like you did.

Question: Now that you've "synced" with outlook/itunes (wired) and (wireless) google, do you prefer one or the other in regards to "proper syncing" of information . . . ie: no problems with wireless syncing and just as accurate?

Also, if I choose to sync "wireless" with google contacts/calendars, the "mail sync option" in itunes should be un-checked??

thanks

Last edited:

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
It is early days yet. But for now I have not had a single problem. I tested the "wireless" sync my adding a contact on my iPhone, then logging in to Google Contacts from my PC. True enough, the new contact was there. Conversly, I did the same while I was logged in on my PC, and yes, the new contact appeared on my iPhone.

All the address fields etc were correct. No problem what so ever.

I no longer need to sync my contacts with iTunes so I simply unchecked the box in iTunes. No adverse affect either.

The best I can say is "It just works!"

HTH.

Reactions: shinbone

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Wallace... I'll give it a try when I get my iPhone. I guess this is another "one of those issues" I had with my BB and hoping that my new iPhone will be better at!

iEther21

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
One of my friends had a droid, so when he got his iphone, he used the "BUMP" app and just attached all of his contacts then sent them from his droid to his iphone all in like 1 minute. Thats just another way to send your contacts over, but both phones have to have the "BUMP" app.

ChrisSmithWebGuy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem in the past, duplicates are really annoying. Gladly I found a useful tool, the so called Scrubly Duplicate Remover. The process is simple; it scans your Gmail contact folders and look for duplicate contacts. If Scrubly finds any exact or Compatible Contacts, it will remove or merge them automatically. They even have a back up so I can have the original copy just in case. This is really effective; this may helps you to get rid of duplicates.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
multiple gmail calendar entries

I didn't have this issue till I got the iPhone4s (previous BB Storm user) and am not sure if it's iPhone related or Google related. I've done lots of searching the Google boards for it and found nothing (most talk about using Outlook and I don't use that), so I'm asking here.

I have multiple calendar entries for holidays and certain entries that I've made on my online gmail calendar and my phone. I'm using the native mail app on my phone and wondering if that might be the issue and maybe I should get a different gmail app that will stop the duplicate calendar entries. At this point there is no way to delete all the entries at one time and it is extremely irritating.

I have emailed Google and asked for a reply but don't expect I will get one.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain your setup ? You can sync multiple calendars to your phone set your account as a exchange account
On safari go to m.google.com/sync and select what calendars to sync to your phone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
multiple calendar entries

I do have 2 gmail calendars that sync to my phone. Here are my settings, hopefully it is what you need to help me:
Fetch New Data - Push
my personal calendar with the multiple entries is - Exchange
my personal business calendar has no multiple entries and is listed by itself under Accounts

Thanks for your help.......I am so frustrated with the multiple entries........

Do I need to set up the sync on m.google.com/sync if I am currently getting my emails, contacts and calendars on my phone?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes go to that site select your calendars that you want to sync to your device

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Also when u make a event on your phone it duplicates ? I want to make sure I understand

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
multiple calendar entries

I tried setting up the google sync in settings and each time I enter m.google.com as the server for my gmail acct it tells me it can't because and "identical Exchange account already exists." When I check the settings on my phone it shows m.google.com as my server.

I think the multiple entries is when I enter the original event online on my desktop or laptop. I just did a test one from my phone and it shows on my online calendar and phone and then set one up online first and it shows on my phone. Only one time for each so far........

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
U enter the address on safari on the web not in settings this is for if you have say a holiday calendar and a moon phases calendar on your gmail calendar but .. Say only the gmail sync to your phone and not holiday or moon .. You go to that site and enable what calendars to sync