Gold Milanese Loop vs. Hermès Apple Watch- which to get?

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I'm struggling between the gold model with the Milanese loop and the Hermès model and can't make up my mind- hopefully some people here will be able to help me out here.

With the Gold Stainless Steel, what happens when you scratch it? Will you see the stainless steel beneath it? Also, I wonder if the color will scratch off where the metal band loops around the part that connects the band to the watch. If after a year or two the gold begins to wear off and that gold watch becomes a two tone watch, that would bother me.

In regards to the Hermès- what do the bands after a few months of daily use? As much as I love the bands now- they look perfect (looking at the pink/brown combo), I wonder what they will look like beat up and scratched. I can always fall back on the sport loop but orange at work is a bit much.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wearing an watch, regardless of build material, is no different than wearing a Rolex, in my opinion. If you're a klutz then expect your watch to show it and if you're not, then your watch should hold up quite well, in my opinion....:cool:

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the black Milanese on my S3 watch and will use it on my S4 from time to time, I have a new Series 4 Hermes Deployment buckle coming on Monday and look forward to that for everyday use, and my Milanese for outdoor walking etc. more comfortable than the silicone sport bands.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Wearing an watch, regardless of build material, is no different than wearing a Rolex, in my opinion. If you're a klutz then expect your watch to show it and if you're not, then your watch should hold up quite well, in my opinion....:cool:

So you're telling me if you're rough with it, it's going to show and if you don't it won't... OK, was looking for a bit more info than that.

But then again since the Apple Watch has been out only since 2015 and probably most owners are tempted to upgrade yearly and do so. There is probably isn't enough experience with how these watches show their wear over time, since different finishes, etc are released yearly.

This is what I've found- the DLC coating historically gets mixed reviews- some people say it's bulletproof, others say it wears off. I've had a DLC watch where the coating wore off and it was just ugly- black with the SS exposed underneath. I've also seen other watches with DLC coating wear off. The Gold, I'd image will wear off as well if you keep it long enough and use it with any regularity. My personal experience with the DLC coating is that the area of the bracelet on the bottom of your wrist will show the most wear as well as the edges at times. The gold SS is new so there is no historical basis to see how these things wear out- couple that with a shelf-life of a year and most people won't have a problem with it.

With the Hermes bands there are different types of leather and fortunately there is a lot of info on it as these leathers are used in all of Hermes products.

The Apple Watch bands use:
Swift
Fauve Barina
Feu Epsom
Ebene Barina

Have no idea what this means, but if you google types of Hermes leather- there are several references to how these leathers wear over time. Some are more delicate than others, some are more soft, some show scratches more easier, etc.

[redacted]

I'm looking to keep this for a few years, which is why I'm looking to see how these watches age over time. My personal pet peeve is the DLC coating wearing off and now having a two tone watch. I think I'm gonna pass on it, even though the gold is gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So you're telling me if you're rough with it, it's going to show and if you don't it won't... OK, was looking for a bit more info than that.

But then again since the Apple Watch has been out only since 2015 and probably most owners are tempted to upgrade yearly and do so. There is probably isn't enough experience with how these watches show their wear over time, since different finishes, etc are released yearly.

This is what I've found- the DLC coating historically gets mixed reviews- some people say it's bulletproof, others say it wears off. I've had a DLC watch where the coating wore off and it was just ugly- black with the SS exposed underneath. I've also seen other watches with DLC coating wear off. The Gold, I'd image will wear off as well if you keep it long enough and use it with any regularity. My personal experience with the DLC coating is that the area of the bracelet on the bottom of your wrist will show the most wear as well as the edges at times. The gold SS is new so there is no historical basis to see how these things wear out- couple that with a shelf-life of a year and most people won't have a problem with it.

With the Hermes bands there are different types of leather and fortunately there is a lot of info on it as these leathers are used in all of Hermes products.

The Apple Watch bands use:
Swift
Fauve Barina
Feu Epsom
Ebene Barina

Have no idea what this means, but if you google types of Hermes leather- there are several references to how these leathers wear over time. Some are more delicate than others, some are more soft, some show scratches more easier, etc.

[redacted]

I'm looking to keep this for a few years, which is why I'm looking to see how these watches age over time. My personal pet peeve is the DLC coating wearing off and now having a two tone watch. I think I'm gonna pass on it, even though the gold is gorgeous.

I don’t own an Hermès band, but I own several Hermès items that I use daily and have no issues. All the leathers will age well, as all Hermès items age particularly well. You’ll just need to decide which leather you like better. Barenia is smooth & soft..they use this for all their saddles. Epsom has an embossing on the leather and is a bit stiff..it’ll soften over time. Swift is has a smaller grain is soft (think of apple leather cases) and looks great in bright colors. HTH

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
An update- ordered the Hermes 40mm

28171-43351-Hermes-40mm-Apple-Watch-Custom-Face-l.jpg

It will arrive in Christmas, so I've had to have it shipped to my parents' home. Can't wait!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I wish they kept the ceramic cases!
Gold SS here. No issues but it's only a few weeks old too. Got it on release day with my XS Max.
It looks great. I don't really see any issues. I came from a 42mm S3 and before that the original 42mm (2015) both in SS. The original shows typical so called micro scratches. Nothing major. Don't expect any real issues TBH. The biggest reason I get the SS version is the crystal. My work keeps me frequenting around self closing doors and those pesky stainless steel handles/knobs do horrible things to watch crystals when they bang up on them! Never had issues with real sapphire crystals. Mineral glass, OTOH, do get scuffs and scratches. And since that's the part you look at, that matters most.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2