Glass screen protector or not???

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Kinda torn on whether or not to get a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone X when it arrives.

My current iPhone 7+ is my 1st iPhone after having nothing but androids since the beginning.

I don’t have a screen protector on the 7+, the screen does seem to be a lot more durable than my past androids.

Are there and cons to putting a glass screen protector on?

Loss of function, sensitivity, clarity?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not that I’m aware of, but then again, I do use a screen protector or even a case. With that in mind, if it makes you feel better to put a screen protector on your new iPhone X when it arrives, go ahead and do it. You’re only protecting your investment, in my opinion.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Nope! not a fan of screen protector. Used to be but I stopped using since I got my iPhone 4. Dropped my phone several times and my case is sufficient enough to protect my phone and I’m only using a thin case. Never had a scratch or crack. It also annoys me if a dirt gets inside the screen protector. I hope I didn’t jinx myself! LOL! If it makes you feel better, do it.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Kinda torn on whether or not to get a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone X when it arrives.

My current iPhone 7+ is my 1st iPhone after having nothing but androids since the beginning.

I don’t have a screen protector on the 7+, the screen does seem to be a lot more durable than my past androids.

I've never had any performance issues related to screen protectors, but they can be a chore to keep clean around the edges. That's where they tend to collect dust, pet dander, finger gunk etc. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was always cleaning, which caused the protector to eventually lift a little, which allowed more gunk under - vicious cycle yada yada

After a few go rounds with them I switched to wallet flip cases. Offers some screen minor protection and easier to clean. YMMV

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I was thinking about putting one on.
I keep my iPhone in a pocket by itself with no key,coins,etc and somehow I still got a scratch.

It only noticeable when the screen is off but still annoying to me.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

I keep a normal plastic screen protector on my 7, but even a small scratch on the protection causes annoying rainbow colors to appear on the screen when turned on. Think about it, if you tend to drop your phone a lot, think about getting a glass protector. Most glass screen protectors do not cause any issues with screen interaction.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Use screen protectors and cases on all of my devices saves in the long run. Never broke a screen on any device the screen protector has broken but not the device.

Merecat

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
Running a glass screen protector / otterbox defender combo at launch. I’m going to be extremely careful with the damn thing at first because of the price point haha.

I have a glass screen protector on my 7 Plus right now and it’s filled with cracks and scratches. I’ve had some pretty bad drops on concrete and I’m positive the phone’s screen would of cracked if I didn’t have the glass protector on it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have used one on my 7 and picked one up from amazon for my X. Always have used a screen protector, just recently switched to the glass screen protectors and enjoy them.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I go back and forth on screen protectors. I never had one on my 7 Plus, don't have one on my 8, but I did put a plastic film one on my S8+. I may pick one up for my X. I'm undecided ATM.

My thing is the protector has to go completely to the edges of the glass if I use them. I hate the ones that only cover the flat part of the screen. It's a pet peeve I have to run my finger over the screen and feel where the protector ends and the screen begins.

One big plus for using one on the X is there's no home button to feel weird if I do put one on. That may be why I never keep them on my iPhones. The home button feels awful when there's a protector on.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your lifestyle really. I work in some tough environments so I always use a case and screen protector, but I don’t a glass one. I use the Rhinoshield Impact Protection screen protector for its superior protection, and it doesn’t affect anything.

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I've never had any performance issues related to screen protectors, but they can be a chore to keep clean around the edges. That's where they tend to collect dust, pet dander, finger gunk etc. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was always cleaning, which caused the protector to eventually lift a little, which allowed more gunk under - vicious cycle yada yada

After a few go rounds with them I switched to wallet flip cases. Offers some screen minor protection and easier to clean. YMMV

I had a wallet style case when I had a Samsung galaxy note... I was Super pissed when I realized that the credit cards or my id was scratching the screen.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I would love to go naked, but scared too. Though I plan on transferring my AppleCare to the X, I still want to keep it protected. I did purchase a glass screen protector & back. I’m thinking of just going that route, maybe adding a bumper. Keeps it as close as naked. I know there are really thin cases out there too that make it feel as though your phone is barely naked. I have to admit though, I went crazy case shopping on Amazon when staying up on preorder night. Kind of regret getting all these cases now that I have my bumper & glass protectors.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I always use on and have had the Apple store install the last few. They do a great job. Also the screens on the X's are more expensive to replace.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I ordered a two pack of the ESR glass ones. I'm currently running with nothing on my 7+ because it was going into a Lifeproof Fre but I didn't like it and sent it back. So I've been running without one for a couple months now as a test for micro scratches in the coating. I've noticed a few so I'm going to definitely go back to having something. I'll eventually probably get a Rhinoshield again but it's in "pre-order" right now and the ESR glass was instantly available last Friday. I just wish the Rhino could have better fingerprint resistance like glass ones. That was the one downside to it that I really noticed. They advertise that it's resistant but it's not nearly as good as a glass one.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I always use on and have had the Apple store install the last few. They do a great job. Also the screens on the X's are more expensive to replace.

I will say when I stopped getting screen protectors was directly correlated to when I started getting AppleCare

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods