Ghost taps, Hard Resets, oh my!

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Crazy day with my iPhone 6. Just curious if anyone can thread these things together to a common cause?

I was using Messages yesterday, tapped the text area, and the Find iPhone app opened. Odd, but I went back into Messages, tapped the text field again, and a Contact opened. I tapped All Contacts to go Back and some other app opened.

I was using a Spigen case, so I took the case off and put the naked phone on my desk and watched. After 15 seconds or so, the Paste menu popped up (never touched the phone) as if someone was long-pressing it.

Turned the phone off and on and it seemed to be OK.

Got home, tried to send Messages again. Some went out fine, then I got a Send Error.

I did a Hard Reset (hold both Home and Power in until it restarts). When the phone rebooted, all my emails came flooding in (from varied, multiple accounts). Mail had apparently stopped working all day, although the web, Twitter and everything had been working fine.

I tried to use YouTube, but oddly it made me log into my account again. Worked fine, but weird I had to log in again. All other accounts (FaceBook, etc.) were fine.

Went to bed and almost overslept because my alarms were apparently all turned off. They're still there, but all the toggles were now off.

Got into my car and couldn't hear my phone call because it wouldn't connect to my car, even though the BlueTooth "profile" was still there, it just said not connected. I had to reconnect it from the car's settings.

I know, I know, take it to an Apple Store. I most likely will. Just curious if anything sounds familiar?

Does a "Hard Reset" (holding in Power and Home) actually clear settings like alarms, bluetooth, YouTube credentials, etc.?

The only thing I can think of that's different is I've been trying Swype and Swiftkey out again the last few days to see if the bugs were worked out (they're not). I've since uninstalled them.

The phone has worked nearly flawlessly (once I bought a new router) until now.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It’s possible your phone is possessed. Or . . . those keyboards are causing you problems. If restarting your iPhone hasn’t helped, you might want to attempt a restore from a backup.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Other than possible water damage, I suspect the 3rd-party keyboard apps. Also, disable background app refresh temporarily to see how well the device performs.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Other than possible water damage, I suspect the 3rd-party keyboard apps. Also, disable background app refresh temporarily to see how well the device performs.

Can't swear a rain drop didn't hit it or something I'm unaware of, but no damage of any kind that I know of. No drops, no swimming lol, perfect condition. I keep the screen as clean as possible with a damp cloth all the time - fingerprints just make me crazy, lol.

It's been OK so far this morning since uninstalling the keyboards, so for now I'm going with that explanation too. If it acts up again I'll move on to the Background Refresh, as suggested ;)

I was just hoping some others would chime in and say, "Me too! Always happens on mondays when there's a full moon" or something :)

I guess for now then I'm assuming the Ghost Tapping was the third-party keyboards, and the Hard Reset somehow cleared certain settings like turning my alarms off. The Mail problems I can't explain, as it wasn't working on WiFi or Cellular.

Just disturbing how it could be working flawlessly for weeks and weeks then suddenly all that happened.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't swear a rain drop didn't hit it or something I'm unaware of, but no damage of any kind that I know of. No drops, no swimming lol, perfect condition. I keep the screen as clean as possible with a damp cloth all the time - fingerprints just make me crazy, lol.

It's been OK so far this morning since uninstalling the keyboards, so for now I'm going with that explanation too. If it acts up again I'll move on to the Background Refresh, as suggested ;)

I was just hoping some others would chime in and say, "Me too! Always happens on mondays when there's a full moon" or something :)

I guess for now then I'm assuming the Ghost Tapping was the third-party keyboards, and the Hard Reset somehow cleared certain settings like turning my alarms off. The Mail problems I can't explain, as it wasn't working on WiFi or Cellular.

Just disturbing how it could be working flawlessly for weeks and weeks then suddenly all that happened.

Oh okay, great. I think you'll be okay with having the keyboards removed. Anyway, thanks for the update and have a great day...:)

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Fascinating!

It's not the third-party keyboards. I uninstalled them, and it's still Ghost tapping AND typing.

But! I THINK it's the charger. Or charging. I noticed it only seems to happen while charging. If I unplug it, it'll work fine again. And seems to keep working. I plug it back in, and within a few minutes it acts up again. Repeat.

It's bizarre. Without touching a thing, I watched it type something like "skskskssssssssksksksksksks." Then it opened Control Center. Than the Notifications drop-down. It's favorite thing is if I tap a Message text, it opens Find Phone. It selects Mails. I also sometimes have to swipe 5-10 times to get past the Lock Screen.

Maybe it's a preview of iOS9's new Proactive feature?

I joke.

Seriously - so how the heck could a faulty(?) charger cause an iPhone to tap and type random things?

Assuming that's what it is. I'm not 100% confident, but so far it's been consistent: charger on, it eventually Ghost taps. Charger off, it works again. I experiement with phones quite a bit, but I've never seen anything like it.

EDIT: Ha! It's not Just Me :) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5956716

Beware of non-OEM chargers!

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not completely out of the realm of possibility...non-OEM charging components can have funny effects on electronics. That said, I'd personally return the device and have it replaced, in case it's an issue internally (that could pop up later after your warranty is up)...I've never seen or experienced any of the issues you described.

whetrick1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
And when you take it back, take the charger that you are using when it does these weird things and let them see for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73