Get a Macbook now or wait for the next?

Adam Gierscher

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I know that the rumours indicate a new Macbook Pro is on its way shortly. However the Canadian dollar is crap, and I mean crap. Usually we are about 1 CAD = 0.98 USD, however at this exact moment 1 CAD = 0.73 USD. Since Apple prices in American money, that would make the new Macbook Pro 15" version $2000 USD= $2703 CAD. Up $200 from what it is currently sitting at.

With that in mind, I would like to ask for your opinions. Should I get a new Macbook Pro now, or wait until the next one which is likely to cost an extra $200?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I know that the rumours indicate a new Macbook Pro is on its way shortly. However the Canadian dollar is crap, and I mean crap. Usually we are about 1 CAD = 0.98 USD, however at this exact moment 1 CAD = 0.73 USD. Since Apple prices in American money, that would make the new Macbook Pro 15" version $2000 USD= $2703 CAD. Up $200 from what it is currently sitting at.

With that in mind, I would like to ask for your opinions. Should I get a new Macbook Pro now, or wait until the next one which is likely to cost an extra $200?

Welcome to iMore. Tough call. You are right, our dollar is hurting at the moment. Do you need it now, then my suggestion would be to get it. Otherwise can you wait. Will there be enough improvements to the new line of MacBooks to compensate for the additional cost. Where will our dollar be at down the road. Will Apple readjust the price if our dollar is doing better or how long will it take for them to do it.

Many questions to ask, but ultimately only you can make the final decision. I hope I have given you some questions you can ask yourself to help you in that decision. Me personally, I would wait, just as I am now for both a better dollar and a new Mac Pro lineup. In the meantime I will continue to use my MacBook and iMac till prices turn around hopefully.

bentrovato

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're waiting for features that you might need, then there's no point on waiting. I personally wouldn't buy a brand new mac. The 15 inch models are virtually identical from 2013. I'd get a refurb model on refurb.me. There's always been minor improvements from 2013 to 2015 but not enough to justify the price increase.

anon(5274906)

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been struggling with this myself. I was looking for a new HP laptop and realised how expensive they have become, so I decided to look at the MacBook Pro instead. To my surprise, the new generation of i7 Processors (U-...) which HP uses are less powerful than the ones currently available in the Macbook Pro. I'm a bit worried that Apple is going for the same 'power-efficient' processors as well, so I'm buying now. The current Macbook Pro has got everything I need (including an HDMI port, which is not to be taken for granted nowadays) and the design is still perfect. The only 'worry' I have is that Jony Ive is going to give the MacBook series a complete makeover so it would look 'old'. But then again, who cares? It's just psychological :) An old-looking MacBook will do its job.

jerrykur

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been struggling with this myself. I was looking for a new HP laptop and realised how expensive they have become, so I decided to look at the MacBook Pro instead. To my surprise, the new generation of i7 Processors (U-...) which HP uses are less powerful than the ones currently available in the Macbook Pro. I'm a bit worried that Apple is going for the same 'power-efficient' processors as well, so I'm buying now. The current Macbook Pro has got everything I need (including an HDMI port, which is not to be taken for granted nowadays) and the design is still perfect. The only 'worry' I have is that Jony Ive is going to give the MacBook series a complete makeover so it would look 'old'. But then again, who cares? It's just psychological :) An old-looking MacBook will do its job.

I am in the same boat but am waiting. If in May or June they ship a new rumored MBP that is thin and light like the MacBook I will be mad at myself. Good thing my 2011 MBP 13 is still hanging in there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711