Full AVRCP Support With iOS 4?

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
This a feature I'd really really like to see. I annoys me to no end that I cannot move thru a playlist from my headset. Any word on this being a feature, or is sorry Charlie, maybe next year?

Changed title of thread (at least within the thread itself) to reflect correct issue.

Last edited:

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Ack..you're right. Sorry for any confusion. I just want to be able to hit next and get satisfaction...or not, if I'm not in a Stones kind of mood ;) Thanks for the bottom line answer.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ack..you're right. Sorry for any confusion. I just want to be able to hit next and get satisfaction...or not, if I'm not in a Stones kind of mood ;) Thanks for the bottom line answer.

What is the difference between AVRCP and no AVRCP? I used to know but now I've forgotten.

Can you not press next or back? is that the issue?

I think my bluetooth headset allows me to press next and back... Yeah, it does.

I'm confused. :p

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
What is the difference between AVRCP and no AVRCP? I used to know but now I've forgotten.

Can you not press next or back? is that the issue?

I think my bluetooth headset allows me to press next and back... Yeah, it does.

I'm confused. :p

Are you actually asking the difference between A2DP (listening in stereo) and AVRCP (hands free control while listening over BT)?

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I got it-AVRCP stands for Audio/Video Remote Control Profile :) This is what I was asking about in my original post. Apparently still won't have full control over iPod functions thru headset with update. Can only do now if jailbroken. Apple site says new iOS 4 will allow pause, play and stop-that's nothing new-we can do that with the current version. I was hoping someone heard something to the contrary at the WWDC or from another reliable source and that I would have a nice surprise on the 21st. I really hoped the update would correct this ridiculous lack of full functionality.

Last edited:

Cobra5mil

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the few reasons why Jailbreaking is still a needed thing for me. MusicControls adds AVRCP to every music app that I use. I now have both voice control and steering wheel controls working on my iPhone, thanks to MusicControls and Microsoft Sync.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
This is one of the few reasons why Jailbreaking is still a needed thing for me. MusicControls adds AVRCP to every music app that I use. I now have both voice control and steering wheel controls working on my iPhone, thanks to MusicControls and Microsoft Sync.

Do any of the Jailbreak options let you see the track info on car displays? If it does, I'll JB for this reason alone.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Do any of the Jailbreak options let you see the track info on car displays? If it does, I'll JB for this reason alone.

If you have a screen and XM radio in your car, there is a great accessory that I bet any car installer would have. Unfortunately I can't remember its name or find the manual for it but when I do I'll post it.

What it does is it allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone to your car stereo. Once connected it charges your device and displays Song, Artist, & Album on your screen. You can also use the radio presets to switch your searches between playlists, artist, albums, genre & composers. My favorite part is you also can set it up for iPod direct which allows you to stream slacker or any other streaming radio through your car stereo.

I got it installed for $200 and one of the best investments I've ever made.

PS. I am also disappointed on the lack of AVRCP. That is something I really miss now that I have a iPhone. I've even submitted a suggestion to Apple via their website (not like that really have a chance but it doesn't hurt) about adding this feature and suggest everyone else who feel that way do also.

Last edited:

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to get this info via the stereo cable connected. You would at least have to connect it through a dock.

I'm talking about Bluetooth (AVRCP). With the dock connector there are plenty of options that give me all of the above functions

hoody999

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Bombard them with complaints !!!!

:DI'm really bummed about not having AVRCP track skip as well.

I think everyone who reads this should put in a complaint to Apple at the web address below. If they get enough complaints about AVRCP with an additional note specifically about "track skipping", perhaps they'll do something and add it in a future update.

Bombard them !!!!

"apple.com/support/itunes/contact"

I made this mistake a few weeks ago, A2DP is for stereo support over BT. You are talking about AVRCP, and this is still not included in iOS 4.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Someone here turned me on the Jaybird app for track skipping from the bluetooth head set (thank you whoever you are!!-can't find the original message). It's not seamless, but it works very well, even though I don't use a Jaybird headset (yet). The best $5 I've spent in recent memory.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
:DI'm really bummed about not having AVRCP track skip as well.

I think everyone who reads this should put in a complaint to Apple at the web address below. If they get enough complaints about AVRCP with an additional note specifically about "track skipping", perhaps they'll do something and add it in a future update.

Bombard them !!!!

"apple.com/support/itunes/contact"

The link you want to use is Apple - iPhone - Feedback
Over on a Prius forum a lot of us sent the following to Apple back when 3.1 came out. just copy and paste or edit to your liking and send it to Apple.

"I believe my iPhone would work better and be more compatible with my Prius 2010's navigation system if Apple would rollout AVRCP 1.4. Right now to play my iPhone audio over my 2010 Prius's audio system I can only successfully do that in Bluetooth- but can't fully use the "heads-up" Navigation/steering wheel controls because Apple is using AVRCP 1.0. This creates a potentially dangerous problem for Prius users who have to then fiddle with the controls on their iPhone to control music instead of using the safer controls at their fingertips and in front of their eyes. PLEASE help keep us all safe and implement AVRCP 1.4. I am very disappointed that iOS4 did not implement this feature as it is supposed to be cutting edge. Many other phone OS's have had this feature for years"

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

What he said. Music Controls was great.