From Hatred To Preferred: The Apple Misconception

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Around the time I got my first smartphone, I had no desire to own anything from Apple. I was years removed from using an Apple product in the past (remember the MacIntosh Classic and the early Power Macs?), and when the iPhone emerged, I started considering getting one. But, nothing to do with the products themselves, I lost the desire to own one when a few people I interacted with that had iPhones had a snobbish, "I'm too cool for you" attitude. I then looked into other manufacturers, and landed with Nokia and Symbian OS (Nokia e71x). You can see where Symbian ended up a mere three years later. :p

As I got into other gadgets and other operating systems (WebOS, Android/Chrome, Mac OS, etc.), my feelings about manufacturers and the people that use them (we as consumers) have softened a bit. I’ve become more brand agnostic, respecting other manufacturers and go as far as using devices from various manufacturers/platforms to complement what I use in my daily life. I try to tune out the “fanboyism” that I see in the articles and forums that I read and frequent, but it’s very hard for me to stand aside when, even here on iMore, I come across someone that makes a statement that has little basis or proof. So, I do my best to try and educate and be objective, but you know how that is. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. The way I see it, it’s really simple. It’s my money. I’ll spend it as I see fit. You don’t like how I spend it? So what? Spend your own money and leave my choices to me. I am also secure enough in my ability to make sound decisions and to purchase what works best for me... so I could care less what you think of my choices...

'Nuf said...:)

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The only company I hate is Comcast.

I don't get the hatred really. If you don't like Apple or Google that's fine. But I don't see why someone has to cut down my own purchase choices to some how make themselves feel better about their own. It's my money and I'll buy what I want.

I never had anything against Apple. I've always loved my iPods. I knew the iPhone was "the one" the instant Steve Jobs held it up on stage. I'm just a Windows guy. Maybe I always felt Macs were over priced and I could get a PC with the same or better specs for less. But in the end, I just like Windows. I do not feel compelled to just run out and buy stuff for the sake of buying. Both my Windows computers are working just fine. When my laptop or desktop die maybe I'll check out Macs as well in my search.

I don't hate Sony either. I've just never liked the Playstation controller. Hence, I play Xbox and used to play Nintendo.

I'm with you in terms of computers. I use Windows and Linux PCs.

I've never hated iOS. I think iOS is actually a really nice platform. I just would prefer iPhones if their form factor were bigger. If a wider iPhone is ever released, I'd definitely consider it.

BB_Junky

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I just arrived here on the Apple boat today no hate for any product really still have my Z30 and love it but for the time being I am rocking a 5s for work. Only grievance so far is...a micro sim? Couldn't just keep it the same hey Apple! Other than that, great device , got BBM working ....now to read up on it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just arrived here on the Apple boat today no hate for any product really still have my Z30 and love it but for the time being I am rocking a 5s for work. Only grievance so far is...a micro sim? Couldn't just keep it the same hey Apple! Other than that, great device , got BBM working ....now to read up on it.
Welcome to iMore, and I hope you're enjoying your iPhone 5S...:)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My first encounter with Apple's products was with the first generation iPod, and I have never seen a consumer product prettier than that at that time. I must say to have an iPod be my first Apple device and to have it leave an impression on me like that is a fortunate thing, because it gave me a good idea what I would get into everytime I unboxed an Apple product from then on, a premium product that I always wanted, no matter how I felt about it prior to getting it.

From then on, my relationship went on from iPods to iPhones, and I was never disappointed with the quality of the iPhones I have had over the years. They had a few frustrating limitations to them, but the iPhones' quality and stability have never failed me for the longest time I have had with any form of consumer device, which really speaks volumes about how I feel about Apple.

After going over to Android and Blackberry and Windows Phone, I have found alot to like about the other devices that won me over, but I would never forget Apple's dedicated commitment to quality and stability. I still use a Macbook Pro and an iPad Mini, which shows how much of a fan I am, and I'm always proud to be an Apple Fan and an iMore member.

I am, however, passionate enough to state Apple's faults when the need arises, but it is never because I hate the company or products, but because of a sincere desire to provide constructive criticism on which I hope Apple would give thought to. It's a byproduct of being a fan, and these comments are never delivered with ill intent, but a desire to see things improve.