From 6s Plus to XS to XS Max Back to XS

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

So I have been a plus user for years with the 6s plus being my last. I decided to upgrade to the XS because I have super small hands and figured it's the "same size" as the plus. After using it for a few days I absolutely loved the feel of the phone in my hands but the screen is not as wide and I was missing the display zoom from the plus as I have poor vision. I played with the fonts and the bigger the font the more cramped my XS looked.

So I went and exchanged it for the XS Max which not even a full 24 hours later I'm regretting as the phone is SO heavy to me and my wrists hurt from holding it watching movies, etc. like I normally did on my plus on top of my thumbs hurting from stretching.

I'm in a total dilemma because I absolutely love the screen size of the Max for my eyes and because it's more familiar with what I'm used to from the plus but my wrists and hands hurt today. Then I love the feel of the xs in my hand. It just feels so much better.

I'm wondering if the weight and size of the xs vs. the max is really that different? Also wondering if the view of pictures, social media, etc. is really all that different?

Should I not use a case on the XS Max? I'm trying that now but not really making a difference.

Are any of you noticing that the Max is much heavier than the plus? If so, did you go to the smaller phone? Or what do you use/do to deal with it?

I have to decide today whether I exchange one last time and hoping that I make the right decision.

Feeling so stuck in the middle. I really wish that Apple made a bigger phone that didn't weigh so darn much! Grrrr!

I look forward to your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Signed,

Sore wrist and thumbs

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
How about the XR? I also was in your shoes. I had the 8 plus and upgraded to the XS because of the reasons you mentioned. And three days later I returned it for the max. I was used to the size and it was hard adapting to the “perfect” size of the XS. So glad I switched. I will say the weight is different, not sure about the exact specs though. So now u have to weigh the odds...do u sacrifice bigger screen and weight or live with lighter device but with a more cramped screen? Good luck

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I definitely have decided I want the XS or XS Max but I think that I have no choice but to go to XS because my hands are just too small. It was easier for me with the Plus phone because of touch ID but the swipe isn't working. Blah!

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I definitely have decided I want the XS or XS Max but I think that I have no choice but to go to XS because my hands are just too small. It was easier for me with the Plus phone because of touch ID but the swipe isn't working. Blah!

That sucks! Well look at it on the bright side...unlike previous years where u got more in software and hardware, the XS and XS Max are identical minus the screen size*

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If the phone hurts your wrists I suggest paying attention to the Apple Watch concept of "close the rings". Work those wrists, hands and arms! The Max is probably within a few grams of the 8 Plus models my late octogenarian mother and her boyfriend have. They manage them fine.

For me the Max offers so much function and good battery life that it's a keeper. It's been a superb tool for the work I do. I can't imagine anything else.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 6s Plus to a Xs Max. I do notice that the Max is slightly heavier, but other than that, I can not tell a difference in size. I skipped the X last year because it was too small. My advice is to choose what will work best for you.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try using the iPhone Xs Max without a case. I feel like it is similar in my hands to the X with a case.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I love the size of the XS Max but I’ve always loved the bigger screens. It is definitely a 2-handed phone and I can imagine why it’s size would not work for everyone. Earlier in the year I had the X and it just seemed smaller than I would prefer. The Max is the perfect size with a delicious screen.

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate the input. So I went and exchanged it back to the XS and I'm wishing I didn't. I guess the weight isn't something that I can't get used to and I didn't realize that I don't have to use face ID if I don't want to? Or am I wrong?

Also, the phone felt less heavy without the clear case I had with it but I was afraid to use it without a case. Do any of you know of any cases that are clear or colored that are thinner and lighter?

Do many of you go case'less?

I can still exchange back to the MAX so I'm still thinking about it...lol! Crazy I know!

I'm sure there are other people who have exchanged their phone three times in the last two weeks, right? haha

Look forward to some more of your input!

Thanks in advance. :)

Signed,

Crazy Indecisive Girl

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from the 7 Plus to the Xs Max and I have zero regrets. Yes, the Max is heavier and does take some getting use to, but after having a larger screen since the release of the 6 Plus I could never go back to a smaller screen iPhone.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am currently using an 8 Plus, which was a huge jump in size for me. I have no regrets. I do use a case because I want to protect my investment. I realize that adds weight, but is important. If the Max was too big for you, and I realize this post is several months after your original post, I'd look at the XR. That sounds like a great phone and a good alternative for you. @jessica_lynn9474 I hope you update us on how you're doing!

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using an 8 Plus, which was a huge jump in size for me. I have no regrets. I do use a case because I want to protect my investment. I realize that adds weight, but is important. If the Max was too big for you, and I realize this post is several months after your original post, I'd look at the XR. That sounds like a great phone and a good alternative for you. @jessica_lynn9474 I hope you update us on how you're doing!

I also have a 8 plus and always used my device without a case however 2 weeks ago the winds were extremely strong and took my phone out of my hand and whammo screen first on cement patio and cracked the screen ,took it to Apple store for screen replacement and they gave me a brand new phone and that is a Big reason to have Apple repair your device and yes I do use a case now .

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I also have a 8 plus and always used my device without a case however 2 weeks ago the winds were extremely strong and took my phone out of my hand and whammo screen first on cement patio and cracked the screen ,took it to Apple store for screen replacement and they gave me a brand new phone and that is a Big reason to have Apple repair your device and yes I do use a case now .

Wow!!! I'm so sorry for your phone, but it's awesome that Apple replaced it. I am a firm believer in dealing with them for all service. One question though... do you have a case on your new phone? :D

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow!!! I'm so sorry for your phone, but it's awesome that Apple replaced it. I am a firm believer in dealing with them for all service. One question though... do you have a case on your new phone? :D

Lesson learned Yes! I use a case now ,with the weight of the device I didn't want to add more however I use Apple leather now that gives it some protection .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2