Forgot iTunes iPhone backup password. Can't I just delete the old one and create a new one?

I

iMore Question

As indicated, I have forgotten the password to my iPhone backup on iTunes (on Mac). I have deleted the previous backup and would like to simply create a new one, with a new password. But I see no way to change the password (box stays greyed out).

Some research on Google seems to indicate that I am screwed. Am I? Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You cannot change a backup passcode without first entering the current one, and therefore, you're going to have to create a new backup, but uncheck the encrypted option beforehand.

JustMeWhoElse

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
You always want to Encrypt your iPhone backups on the computer - if you don't and then restore from an unencrypted backup, your passwords will not be restored to the iPhone. Only Encrypted Backups store this info and reinstall it on restore.

Restoring from an Encrypted backup literally will make the new or restored iPhone the same as the original. Settings, email and passwords, etc…

lobeartery

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Well, that's not the solution because I know all my passwords. There were only three and two of them are written down; the third I just updated recently, so I remember its predecessor. Nope, an old password, all lower case, is not the solution. Neither is the admin password. Neither is the password as first put in with caps and a number.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73