For those who are having "no service" or "call failed" problems

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Sorry if it was discussed before. Just don't have time to check older topics.

Ok. If your 4s is having constant 3G network issues. I mean: a few minutes it's ok, then suddenly it's "no service", or showing few bars but all calls fail and no 3g data possible, and then all over again. So if your 4s i behaving like that - it's a hardware faulty. Don't waste time and nerves for restarting, hard resetting etc. - it won't work. It's a faulty unit. It's not the provider, nor the micro sim or the OS - it's 100% hardware. I had to figure it out in the hard way. I spent the whole day at one of my provider's store. We literally tried everything: swapping micro sim cards, hard resets, restores etc. - nope, nothing! The worst thing is that the phone sometimes seems like it's working for a 15-20 minutes tops and deceives you that it's ok, but it's temporary.
There are one or two topics at apple support forums but they don't seem to have figured it out. I speculate that it's due to a bad sim card slot, faulty connectors or something like that, not sure though. So if you are experiencing these issues - stop wondering and run at the store or wherever you purchased your phone from and insist for a replace. Don't waste your time with anything else.
I will now have to wait for a replacement.
I hope that would help someone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been to the Apple store like 9 times for this issue. It's both carrier and hardware, I think.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been to the Apple store like 9 times for this issue. It's both carrier and hardware, I think.

Have they replaced your device yet? I know I've read that most of the time they make you do what the op said, new sim, and restore as new. I agree with you though, I do believe it has something to do with the hardware, and to carrier.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Im on my 5th one actually and 6th or 7th SIM. One had a dead mic plus the issues I was having. If they're ALL doing it, there is someting more going on.

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It could be the whole partition that is faulty.
But It's not the carrier. I'm pretty much sure. When I was just about to leave the store today there was a guy who showed up, one of their colleagues i guess, who saw us struggling with the phone and said he had been having absolutely the same headache and got his unit replaced and now it's been working for a two weeks flawlessly. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the first post.
So the carrier could not be the problem. What are the chances for several carriers across Europe and US suddenly begin to have bad reception?!
Don't let them waste your time with the casual attitude. It just won't work. They're just wasting their micro sims. They need to test the new unit for a few hours before give it to you, that's what I "recommended" on my way out! Like I said, it could be the a whole partition of faulty devices.

Good luck. I'll share what's going on once i got my replacement.

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to let you guys know switching through six different iPhones won't is the problem. Chances are after the first two phones, it's probably not a hardware problem. I sell cell phones and it really is annoying when a customer comes in and demands a new phone six times. Chances are where you live you don't have reception, the network isn't working, or it's user error. It's not to say you won't get a bad unit every now and then but if you switch more than two times it's most likely not the phone hardware.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It could be the whole partition that is faulty.
But It's not the carrier. I'm pretty much sure. When I was just about to leave the store today there was a guy who showed up, one of their colleagues i guess, who saw us struggling with the phone and said he had been having absolutely the same headache and got his unit replaced and now it's been working for a two weeks flawlessly. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the first post.
So the carrier could not be the problem. What are the chances for several carriers across Europe and US suddenly begin to have bad reception?!
Don't let them waste your time with the casual attitude. It just won't work. They're just wasting their micro sims. They need to test the new unit for a few hours before give it to you, that's what I "recommended" on my way out! Like I said, it could be the a whole partition of faulty devices.

Good luck. I'll share what's going on once i got my replacement.

Just to let you guys know switching through six different iPhones won't is the problem. Chances are after the first two phones, it's probably not a hardware problem. I sell cell phones and it really is annoying when a customer comes in and demands a new phone six times. Chances are where you live you don't have reception, the network isn't working, or it's user error. It's not to say you won't get a bad unit every now and then but if you switch more than two times it's most likely not the phone hardware.
For the record i never demanded anything. I made appointments, explained the issue. The Genius dude (or chick) came back with a new phone without any prompting or asking.

That said: Yes if all my phones seem to be having this issue, I seriously doubt this many would be doing the same thing. I am on hold with Apple right now to get help by phone, if this isn't enough, Ill go back to the Apple store and tell them what is going on, and ask them what we do now. Im sick of this. I need a working phone. The email and texting works fine. The phone calls dont work.

I also have gone to two different stores assuming different stock.

Last edited:

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
For the record i never demanded anything. I made appointments, explained the issue. The Genius dude (or chick) came back with a new phone without any prompting or asking.

That said: Yes if all my phones seem to be having this issue, I seriously doubt this many would be doing the same thing. I am on hold with Apple right now to get help by phone, if this isn't enough, Ill go back to the Apple store and tell them what is going on, and ask them what we do now. Im sick of this. I need a working phone. The email and texting works fine. The phone calls dont work.

I also have gone to two different stores assuming different stock.

have you tried having at&t reprovision your account?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
yes. I spent an hour on the phone with att friday while at the apple store. They did that, and changed my IMEI and I assume a few other things. I am on hold waiting for the dude I spoke with this afternoon in senior tech at Apple trying to get this fixed this way while I have time to get back to an Apple store this week.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I have tracking tickets from Apple and from ATT from their actual engineers, not techs. Somewhere in there, I hope this is solved. I hope by Friday.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I made about 9 calls on the phone with both people, so they could hear it. I called my house, my sister, my parents, work, a few friends with other networks and Nordstrom. I wanted land and cell lines. All but one would actually ring on my phone and on the other end. But all rang on the other end from what I understand. I got about 10 texts asking wtf happened afterwards. What the diagnostics on Apple's end shows is that ZERO calls were made, completed, connected, period. Nothing. No bugs show, not a single issue comes up on any diagnostic they run. They can send you a text to do a remote log in to your phone, like a logmein or rescue or whatever. So you do that, they hackadoo in your phone and go lookin for stuffs. They see that I can read that there is a bug, but the bug shows no data or reasoning. On ATT they see that there was a call of about 3 seconds, thereabouts made, and confirmed the numbers and call times, but the other end can't be heard, I can't hear the ringing, nothing. Of those calls ONLY ONE gives a call failed issue.

I suppose between the two they will figure it out with all these people involved. I really thought it was all good on Friday, but since Saturday it's been a hot mess. I only made two calls Sunday, only one of them connected ok. Usually calling my mom works fine. SHes so thrilled for me to use her for testing purposes.

It only appears to be OUTGOING.

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Chances are where you live you don't have reception, the network isn't working, or it's user error. It's not to say you won't get a bad unit every now and then but if you switch more than two times it's most likely not the phone hardware.

I have two other phones at home: an old blackberry and even older nokia - they both indicate a full bar reception, sound of calls is loud and clear with the same carrier. And they both seem to find the nearest cell for a less then a two seconds max when i dial. No way it could be a blind spot or something.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well now my texting and email isn't working right anymore. But yea it sounds like it's not the same issue.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
For me, the simplest solution was being able to turn 3G on and off. There is a spot on my way to school each day that without fail, will drop calls. As long as I had 3G off, I was golden. Since the toggle is no longer there with the 4s, I had many, many dropped calls. After awhile, I just didn't bother calling knowing the call would be dropped. Calls were also garbled and people couldn't understand me.

I could no longer make or receive phone calls in buildings at school or in a school's elevator like I previously could as long as I had 3G off.

Yes, one time all data stopped and I had to do a hard reset as others have experienced.

So the deal breaker for me was no longer having the 3G toggle. I don't care if it's hardware, software or the carrier. I could make and receive phone calls successfully when 3G was turned off. I returned my 4s and I'm back on my 4.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well now my texting and email isn't working right anymore. But yea it sounds like it's not the same issue.

This one sounds more like a network issue. How is AT&T's coverage in your area?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

iVader

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
*Update*

Just like I've initially assumed - it turned out to be a defective unit. Now that I've got mine replaced with a new one, everything is ok.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
That happen to me with my iPhone 4. Try taking a look at your computer you sync with the usb cord with. I'm not saying that's the problem, but it could be. It took about 3 weeks to figure out the problem. I had several SIM cards replaced, the Apple store replaced my phone twice in those 3 weeks. I restored my phone about 8 times. Finally the Apple genius told me to bring in my macBook Pro that I sync my phone with. Turned out to be a virus with either my computer or an app. We boiled it down that I only got the "No Service" error after I synced my phone and added all my apps back. It shocked me because I thought Apple computers didn't get virus, and my MacBook Pro was only 1 year old. Lion OS came out that week and when I upgraded my Mac to it and synced my phone the problems went away and have never came back. I've synced my 4S with all my apps and it's fine.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem too but I have solved it now this issue is from hardware as you have told but easy to solve I disarmed iPhone and took out the motherboard then hold it on my hand but doing contact with one foot on the ground then the ecstatic energy will go away from your motherboard cause that is the problem your iPhone charges of ecstatic energy somehow just try I solved it that way

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2