For those that find the form factor of the 12 series uncomfortable

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I am one that does not like the current form factor of the 12 series. I returned my 12 and seriously considered going back to the 11 Pro Max. But, the reality has hit me that this form factor is likely going to be around for a while, like it or not. So I need to find a way to make it work. I currently have a 12 Pro Max and have been looking for a case that rounds the edges like the 11 series. I have tried the Apple silicone and leather cases and neither does what I am looking for. I may have found a case that has rounded edges like the 11 series. I don't have it yet, but I wanted to share with you what I found and see if anyone else has found a case to share with rounded edges. Here is what I have found that to me looks promising (it will arrive tomorrow):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231748

I have held one for a 12 6.1 inch, but not on the phone. But it was light and felt comfortable, a very different feel from the 12 square edged cases. I have my hopes.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I am one that does not like the current form factor of the 12 series. I returned my 12 and seriously considered going back to the 11 Pro Max. But, the reality has hit me that this form factor is likely going to be around for a while, like it or not. So I need to find a way to make it work. I currently have a 12 Pro Max and have been looking for a case that rounds the edges like the 11 series. I have tried the Apple silicone and leather cases and neither does what I am looking for. I may have found a case that has rounded edges like the 11 series. I don't have it yet, but I wanted to share with you what I found and see if anyone else has found a case to share with rounded edges. Here is what I have found that to me looks promising (it will arrive tomorrow):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231840

I have held one for a 12 6.1 inch, but not on the phone. But it was light and felt comfortable, a very different feel from the 12 square edged cases. I have my hopes.

So I have also expressed on imore how I do not like the flat edges as well and figured if I could find a case that rounded or slightly curved those sides for more comfort, then I'd keep the 12 pro I got. I did find a couple, but in the end I think the combination of the flat side and the slight increase in display size (5.8 to 6.1") made me decide on keeping my 11 pro. I am linking below two cases that helped with the edges and while they are rounded, they have slight diagonal curves on the edges that help angle the harsh 90 degree cut. Try them out, you can always return to Amazon!

SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle EXO Series Case for iPhone 12 Pro Max (2020 Release) 6.7 Inch, Premium Hybrid Protective Clear Bumper Case(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HV2TMC...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231840

ESR Air Armor Series Case Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro Max 6.7-Inch [Shock Absorbing and Scratch Resistant] [Military Grade Protection] [Hard Back with Flexible Frame] – Frosted Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXS9BP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231840

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231854

Hopefully it doesn’t add to the overall size of the 12 Pro Max

Can you post a picture when it arrives and installed if you find the time

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting more good with phone shape and pleased with the new Apple Silicone case, returned my Apple Leather (past favorite), and returned two third party cases from brands I've liked because of poor fit.

In my work day and in general I'm finding I might even prefer the sides of my 12 PM but confess the XS Max was nicest without a case at home. I am over any reactionary feelings about change. Now I wish some 5G and screen related bugs would get fixed sooner than later.

It seems like the pants industry will have to catch up if I have any more case than I do now.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Hopefully it doesn’t add to the overall size of the 12 Pro Max

Can you post a picture when it arrives and installed if you find the time
I got the case today and the edges are indeed round, but, sadly it makes the phone HUGE. Also, it was not nearly as soft as the 6.1 inch version that I held. Probably it is because I am used to silicone cases. This appears to be cheaper TPU plastic. It is going back and I am totally frustrated. I have tried the Apple Silicone case. I have enjoyed them in the past and I got that with the 12 that I sent back. I also ordered and returned the Apple Leather case as I didn't find it comfortable.

Please note that I really want this to be a successful effort, but I am running out of options and I am not sure what I am going to do. I have tried the smaller 6.1 inch phones and with some apps that I use, certain fonts don't scale up and they are too hard to read. I LOVED the feel of the 11 Pro Max, but it is officially now obsolete technology and I own these phones as I support both Android and iPhones for work. But every time I pick up this phone, I ask myself if I truly can live with it and my hopes are dwindling. I could send this back, get a 12 Pro and stick it in a drawer as it could never be my daily driver.

Part of my frustration comes from the fact that Apple seems to have made design choices for form over usability. I also have a Note 20 Ultra. It has a larger screen (6.9 vs 6.7), a larger battery (4500 mAh vs 3687 mAh) and manages weigh less (7.34 oz vs 8.03 oz). Why? Is it just the fancy stainless steel edging? If so, give me the aluminum and save the weight! Similarly, the squared edges were nice on the iPhone 4s, but that phone was significantly smaller than the 12 mini. What works on a small phone doesn't necessarily work as well on the larger phone.

I have to come to some decision about the phone. My search for cases seems to be over.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue here is the size. The smaller 4/4S/5/5S/SE form factor was fine flat because it was smaller. Bigger means those edges push into your hands more. iPhones are wide. Can't stand cases that make them even wider. A case that changes the form to squared corners and round edges is going to be a picture frame! The phone is tougher so maybe consider super thin cases like Peel or Pitaka. The latter is quite premium. I just wish they weren't open on the top and bottom. Still may get one though. Same price as Apple Leather. Ouch!

Just got a Spigen Thin Fit for my 12 Pro Max and I like it! Simple design and has adequate protection and enough of a lip around the front to still stand higher than a tempered glass protector. And $18.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I think the issue here is the size. The smaller 4/4S/5/5S/SE form factor was fine flat because it was smaller. Bigger means those edges push into your hands more. iPhones are wide.
I couldn't agree with you more. I think the comparison with the iPhone 4/5 series is pointless as they were tiny phones. These aren't. I will look at the cases that you mentioned and I MAY reconsider trying the Apple cases again. I do have a silicone case from Amazon that so far is the best. I will look at any and every suggestion. Perhaps somewhere . . .

It comes down to, at this point, not what I will like, but what I will have to accept. I will likely keep this phone, not because I like it, but because I feel Apple has left me with no satisfactory alternatives (there is a great ad slogan for you, Apple - use it for free). The 12 and 12 Pro are too small for my aging eyes and as I have fat thumbs, too small to type on. I could go back to the 11 Pro Max, but unless I keep that for years to come and just pretend 5G doesn't exist, I will simply spend more to ultimately go back to what I have now. 5G is here to stay and apparently so is this Pro Max. Thanks for the suggestions on cases.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro