For those on iTunes Match and using iTunes Radio

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know that being subscribed to iTunes Match brings no-ads to iTunes Radio.
What about unlimited skip? Can anyone confirm this? If it is, I'm just going to
go ahead and subscribe to iTunes Match.

Very appreciated.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's not supposed to have unlimited skip. I think it's still 6 skips per channel per hour. I cannot confirm the reality of the skips yet though.

And just FYI, at least with this beta, iTunes Match subscribers are still getting some ads. Presumably that will change.

Really hoping it has unlimited skip. Slacker does this with a subscription. Only problem is that
Slacker, well, sucks. lol

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Pandora still occasionally limits skips even with a paid account but I think it is less often.

I haven't seen anything published from Apple talking about this skips for iTunes Match people. I was just relaying what is heard elsewhere.

Yeah. Pandora definitely limits skips on a paid account. I believe it's also
six if I'm remembering correctly from the last time I had a paid account
with them. Which was months ago.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Pandora definitely limits skips on a paid account. I believe it's also
six if I'm remembering correctly from the last time I had a paid account
with them. Which was months ago.

Can't say anything for the skips yet I'll test it out later today.

Sent from the collector home world.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I just did 6 skips back to back but landed on a song I liked so I stopped haha. Will continue to test after I listen to it. :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Gave it a good run this morning. It will not replace Spotify for me. If you're a Pandora or Rdio user though, you'll probably love it.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've used Rdio for some time and I think as of now I'll use iTunes radio and listen to my library of 8700 songs.

wamadden4

May 10, 2011
Visit site
It has been unlimited skips for me... Not too worried about it... I also have Spotify alongside iTunes Match obviously.... its the way to go!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It has been unlimited skips for me... Not too worried about it... I also have Spotify alongside iTunes Match obviously.... its the way to go!

Sounds like it'll do the trick for me then as an itunes match subscriber. I'm a pretty light Pandora user but skip a lot which a jailbreak tweak currently helps.

wamadden4

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my phone was jailbroken before this and the jailbreak tweak with unlimited skips on Pandora and another cool function was pretty sweet.... I miss that and BiteSMS the most.

DarthElmo

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info, Karenkcoulter.

This is the first post I've found with a quantifiable rate for iTunes Radio. However, if 18.3 MB in 26 minutes is accurate, the bit rate is extremely disappointing - to me at least. Your bit rate (over an LTE connection even) was only 96 Kbps. Here's the calculation: 18.3 * 8 * 1024 / 26 / 60 = 96.1. This is still better than say, Pandora's rate of 64 Kbps (AAC) but since iTunes already has an entire library of 256 Kbps AAC files that they use to stream iTunes Match songs, I was hoping/anticipating they'd be doing the same thing with iTunes Radio. Or at least make that option available. I suppose that 256 Kbps is perhaps a bit much for some cellular connections and/or data plans.

I really wanted to ditch MOG's $10 per month plan when iTunes Radio came out but the sound quality of 96 Kbps can't compare to MOG's 320 Kpbs, even though I'm assuming that Apple is streaming the superior AAC codec as opposed to MOG's MP3 at 320 Kbps. (If anyone is curious about the codecs, just do a quick search for AAC vs MP3.)

I know I'm basing all of this on a single "test" and iTunes Radio hasn't been officially released to the general public yet. I'd really be interested in seeing anyone else's numbers.

Last edited:

jhoffmeyer

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone please tell me if I need to have iTunes Match turned on to get the ad-free iTunes Radio? I'm subscribed to iTunes Match but mostly use it on my Apple TVs and not on my iPhone. I was just wondering if I'll need to turn it on for my iPhone to get iTunes Radio without hearing ads?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Could anyone please tell me if I need to have iTunes Match turned on to get the ad-free iTunes Radio? I'm subscribed to iTunes Match but mostly use it on my Apple TVs and not on my iPhone. I was just wondering if I'll need to turn it on for my iPhone to get iTunes Radio without hearing ads?

Yes I believe each device needs to have iTunes Match turned on for the ad free radio experience.

Sent from Jack Bauer's PDA.