For anyone considering between iPhone X and Pixel 2

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I tried the Pixel 2 XL for 2 weeks and sent it back because my trial period was over with the thought that I would try the X for a couple of weeks and reorder the Pixel if I decided I liked it better. There were some things I was really starting to like with the Pixel 2 XL. I liked how LastPass and Google took care of my sign ins throughout apps. It seems like a little thing, but I really liked Google's native weather app. I liked the widgets and I liked being able to find apps to do things like send scheduled texts. The camera was awesome as well, better than the X's which I think tends to blowout highlights.

But after using the X for a few days I won't be going back. Everything is just so smooth and easy. At first I wasn't sure about face ID, but after using it a bit I love it. Everyone raves about Android's notifications but iOS's work fine for me. Voicemail on the Pixel was a pain. Little touches like the camera and the flashlight on the lock screen of the X really improve usability. You may not be able to customize iOS as much, but it's already setup the way you want it.

I did the same exact thing you did, but I had the X first and ventured to the pixel 2XL. Same reasons I went back to iOS. I wasn’t willing to give up iMessage,FaceTime and HomeKit for android customization,better notification handling, and better camera

Those things on iOS just outweighed the pros of the pixel.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I don’t know that the iOS version was functionally any better, but I feel like they look better. Of course that’s the case with most apps on iOS vs android.

Gmail on Android let's you view inboxes from multiple accounts at once, can't do that on iOS. However, they seem pretty similar otherwise. Calendar, Drive, Keep, Translate, Maps, Chrome all work great on iOS.

One downside is that you can't specify Chrome and Google Maps as default apps on iOS.

If you use CarPlay, you're stuck with Apple Maps.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
So how are you “invested” in google, and some examples of how a google phone integrates google apps better than iOS does? Just curious to hear.

Auto sign in for all Google apps; automatic photo backup to Google Drive, unlimited photos and video storage on Google Drive if photos taken with Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. Can't get any of that on iPhone.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I wasn’t willing to give up iMessage,FaceTime and HomeKit for android customization,better notification handling, and better camera

Google Duo is just as good of a replacement for FaceTime. iMessage....meh. If that's your thing, cool. But it's not necessary for me. I never used HomeKit so that's also a not an issue for me.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Google Duo is just as good of a replacement for FaceTime. iMessage....meh. If that's your thing, cool. But it's not necessary for me. I never used HomeKit so that's also a not an issue for me.

“iMessage....meh. If that’s your thing, cool?”

Odd statement. How do you send HD videos to people? I guess that’s why iMessage is “my thing” and every other iPhone users thing. I have auto backup of all my pictures to google photos on iPhone, that’s pretty perfect for me.

Try getting a family of FaceTime users to download google duo and actually use it.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Well, for the sake of discussion, I do disagree a bit regarding no real difference. I have a Pixel 2 and an iPad Pro 10.5. I use a lot of voice commands, so assistants are important to me. When I ask Siri to open my Google Calendar and schedule an appointment, it defaults to Apple's Calendar which is what I don't want. I have no desire to manage two calendars. Obviously, I don't have this issue on the Pixel 2.

There's some misinformation throughout this thread, but considering that my opinion of this type of thread on an iOS forum is that it's out of place and a little grandstanding, I'll reserve a more in depth post another time.

No, you don't have to have an Android phone to run certain Google apps. Is the UX different.. yup. Is the Pixel the natural compliment to Google ecosystem.. absolutely!

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
“iMessage....meh. If that’s your thing, cool?”

Odd statement. How do you send HD videos to people? I guess that’s why iMessage is “my thing” and every other iPhone users thing. I have auto backup of all my pictures to google photos on iPhone, that’s pretty perfect for me.

Try getting a family of FaceTime users to download google duo and actually use it.

To send videos and pics, I use WhatsApp. That works across platforms thereby taking away the necessity of every buying into the Apple ecosystem.

And been a person who changes phones quite often, WhatsApp is very convenient.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
To send videos and pics, I use WhatsApp. That works across platforms thereby taking away the necessity of every buying into the Apple ecosystem.

And been a person who changes phones quite often, WhatsApp is very convenient.

Yes which means you need to use a separate app and make the receiver use that app as well. Where is the convenience in that? I’ve used an android device before and I’ve used WhatsApp. I was asking a rhetorical question that I already knew the answer to but wanted to make a point because iMessage is just “meh.” It’s hands down the best messaging app ever created.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes which means you need to use a separate app and make the receiver use that app as well. Where is the convenience in that? I’ve used an android device before and I’ve used WhatsApp. I was asking a rhetorical question that I already knew the answer to but wanted to make a point because iMessage is just “meh.” It’s hands down the best messaging app ever created.
If every last person in your family and friends had an iPhone or iPad then your logic applies. There's way more WhatsApp users globally and chances are you seldom have to convince someone to install or download the app.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The fact that iMessage doesn’t compress media like other chat apps (I’m looking at you, WhatsApp) is what I really like most with iMessage. Most people don’t realize this.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Auto sign in for all Google apps; automatic photo backup to Google Drive, unlimited photos and video storage on Google Drive if photos taken with Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. Can't get any of that on iPhone.

My photos auto back with my iPhone. I’ve had Google Photos since it first came available. Used it with all my androids and now with my iPhone. I have years of photos on there. I will say iMessage alone make iOS more palatable for me.

orbital247

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I had the Pixel2 and now have the iPhoneX, to me you can't compare the Pixel2XL as it has a way bigger footprint (it's like comparing a compact car to a 4x4).

Different elements:
Camera shades it on the Pixel2 however the 2x optical on the iPhoneX is a real bonus from a everyday use perspective.
UI shades it on the Pixel2, mainly the customisation options.
Screen shades it on the iPhoneX, way more real estate and better colour representation.
FaceID shades it on the iPhoneX, yes really! for me it works great, whether it be half awake in bed, sunglasses on, scarf covering my chin it still works flawlessly.
Audio is a dead heat, i honestly think the speakers are better on the iPhoneX but the Bluetooth seems to be better on the Pixel2.

As per a lot of the previous posts you can't go wrong with either really !!

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
If every last person in your family and friends had an iPhone or iPad then your logic applies. There's way more WhatsApp users globally and chances are you seldom have to convince someone to install or download the app.

Of all the people I know personally in the U.S., I don't know of a single one using WhatsApp. I have some friends outside the U.S. that use it.

I can't picture ever getting my mom, dad, or a number of other people to ever install it on their phone, much less use it. Why should they, iMessaging works perfectly for them, even when texting non iPhone users.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
The fact that iMessage doesn’t compress media like other chat apps (I’m looking at you, WhatsApp) is what I really like most with iMessage. Most people don’t realize this.
Again this applies to people who can afford iPhones outside the developed world and can afford unlimited data plans and universal WiFi. There's a few billion people out there who don't have these things and WhatsApp fills in a legitimate gap.

A lot more people don't realize this versus knowing that Apple doesn't compress files.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Of all the people I know personally in the U.S., I don't know of a single one using WhatsApp. I have some friends outside the U.S. that use it.

I can't picture ever getting my mom, dad, or a number of other people to ever install it on their phone, much less use it. Why should they, iMessaging works perfectly for them, even when texting non iPhone users.
I can point out a lot more people in USA who use WhatsApp. Actually our work place created a WhatsApp group during the recent fires in the LA area - one started behind our work building and we got evacuated - to keep all 800 employees connected.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I can point out a lot more people in USA who use WhatsApp. Actually our work place created a WhatsApp group during the recent fires in the LA area - one started behind our work building and we got evacuated - to keep all 800 employees connected.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the U.S. who use it, but it seems a lot more prevalent outside the U.S. where people don't have unlimited text messaging and there aren't as many iPhones. But why should people who don't have those limitations use it?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure there are plenty of people in the U.S. who use it, but it seems a lot more prevalent outside the U.S. where people don't have unlimited text messaging and there aren't as many iPhones. But why should people who don't have those limitations use it?

I'm on your side with this 100%. Making iPhone users (especially all of my family members) to download an extra app that they will only use for me is an annoyance. I've been there and done that when I was an Android user. They also 99% of the time forget to intitiate the video chat or video message through that dedicated app I made them download so more times than none I am receiving compresses blobs of video messages. iMessage does what no other embedded main text messaging app does. Let's face it, if iMessage/FaceTime were apps available on android phones there would be a massive surge in android users.

WhatsApp and WeChat are two international apps, I work with people in China and that is all they use to communicate...besides email. It is being used in the US as well but it's vastly used internationally.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I don't like this proliferation of communication apps. When I'm at work I've got people calling on the office phone, my cellphone, my work email, my personal email, chat at work via Google Hangouts (which can also be used on both iOS and Android), and texting. It can be a bit overwhelming all those things at once. Then there are some people that also use Facebook messenger to contact me. I never understood the need for that app, aren't there already enough ways to get a hold of people? end of rant

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR