For anyone considering between iPhone X and Pixel 2

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
@popkurn611 I read your post a couple times and I just want to make sure I understand your post.

First you said:

The integration in both iOS and android are pretty seamless.

Which made me think you were saying the experiences were about the same. But then you said:

I came from android and not one Google app on iOS is integrated "as well" as it was on android.

Which made me think you DID recognize a significant difference in integration. But your next sentence suggests the only difference being in the notification system.

Now, to take this a step further, the Google apps with iOS notifications may be where the integration lacks a little.

Could you clarify a bit more?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
@popkurn611 I read your post a couple times and I just want to make sure I understand your post.

First you said:

Which made me think you were saying the experiences were about the same. But then you said:

Which made me think you DID recognize a significant difference in integration. But your next sentence suggests the only difference being in the notification system.

Could you clarify a bit more?

Yes sorry, I mistyped my thoughts!

What I am saying is to move to a Google phone for Google apps experience is not necessary in my opinion when they work just as well on iOS. I am talking about the functionality of the apps individually. If you mix in how they are handled through notifications then android is a better experience, but would not say one needs a Google pixel for that android experience with google.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
One word. Apps.

Very few companies are spending time developing decent apps for Tizen. There are tons of apps available for watchOS.

The simplicity of the UI doesn't make it attractive. A round watch doesn't make a ton of sense for notifications, maps navigating, messaging, etc. The turnable bezel was a smart touch, but doesn't really add anything. And again subjectively, the Gear S3 is not attractive.

Samsung makes beautiful phones, but it's watches just aren't great.

Another thing is it’s made by Samsung, and I’ve had more than my share of negative experiences with Samsung customer support as a customer and on behalf of my customers to ever give them money again.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
What I am saying is to move to a Google phone for Google apps experience is not necessary in my opinion when they work just as well on iOS. I am talking about the functionality of the apps individually. If you mix in how they are handled through notifications then android is a better experience, but would not say one needs a Google pixel for that android experience with google.

Exactly my experience. The apps themselves are almost exactly the same on both devices but logins and notifications were much better on the pixel. For example on the Pixel 2 XL I would get a notification when somebody needed access to a google doc and I could grant access right from the notification. In iOS you can not even get a notification for that.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Exactly my experience. The apps themselves are almost exactly the same on both devices but logins and notifications were much better on the pixel. For example on the Pixel 2 XL I would get a notification when somebody needed access to a google doc and I could grant access right from the notification. In iOS you can not even get a notification for that.

Yep, same with replying to an email directly from the notification. It's a little more polished in android but it's not enough of a hassle for me on iOS to leave. Just have to use other ways to get to that end point which I am used to already on iOS.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Yes sorry, I mistyped my thoughts!

Ok got it! I can see that.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I guess this post is targeted at users who carry multiple phones, maybe? Not sure what an Android phone comparison/review does for an iOS user and in that case why it would need to be "either/or" type decision. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something ..

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess this post is targeted at users who carry multiple phones, maybe? Not sure what an Android phone comparison/review does for an iOS user and in that case why it would need to be "either/or" type decision. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something ..
I guess that's exactly what the title of the thread says.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For anyone considering between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2, please do your own research, ask pertinent questions, physically handle both devices, think about the way you’ll use the device on a daily basis after the excitement of having a new device has faded, and then select the device that will best suit “you”, even if it’s not what your friends think you should get.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For anyone considering between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2, please do your own research, ask pertinent questions, physically handle both devices, think about the way you’ll use the device on a daily basis after the excitement of having a new device has faded, and then select the device that will best suit “you”, even if it’s not what your friends think you should get.
This. Exactly this, but don't over analyze it. Pretty much any phone out there can do what most people need it to do. You can make yourself crazy trying to choose.

Most people here are in the Apple ecosystem and that makes the choice a little easier. I am more in that ecosystem today than a year ago and I still find myself looking to android thinking I'm missing something. In reality, I can make any phone work for me, but I've built around my past iPhones and so has everyone around me. People can tell you differently, but that matters and factors into the choice big time.

Pick the phone that works best for you and your situation. It's really not a matter of how good a phone is. All of the flagship phones are good and also have a few weaknesses. Decide what's best for YOU.

Danchi_233

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Been an android guy myself but wanted to switch to ios (iphone x) and see how much it has changed since the iph5. Iam please with the X, i currently have the pixel xl 2 and its a great phone. The size and front speakers were a plus and of course the camera reviews is what inclined me to get it. I still like to see what the "competition" has to offer and so far there is nothing to hate on the X. The smaller size is something for me to get used too, but the screen on the X makes up for it. As with everything, there are pros and cons. I will end up keeping both and enjoy them both as they are intended for. Cant go wrong with either one.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree that you need a google device just to use Google apps. The integration in both iOS and android are pretty seamless. I came from android and not one Google app on iOS is integrated "as well" as it was on android. Now, to take this a step further, the Google apps with iOS notifications may be where the integration lacks a little. But to me it's not worth leaving the iOS ecosystem.

I was not invested in iOS like I am with Google. But the integration between Apple and Google and a Google phone and Google is NOT the same. The Google phone, obviously, integrates so much better with Google than iOS does.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I was not invested in iOS like I am with Google. But the integration between Apple and Google and a Google phone and Google is NOT the same. The Google phone, obviously, integrates so much better with Google than iOS does.

So how are you “invested” in google, and some examples of how a google phone integrates google apps better than iOS does? Just curious to hear.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
So how are you “invested” in google, and some examples of how a google phone integrates google apps better than iOS does? Just curious to hear.

I use Google services extensively at work and home. I tried a Pixel 2 XL and am currently using iPhone X. Biggest difference with google integration is with sign ins when setting up new apps. Way easier on the Pixel. Once the apps are set up, not so much difference in usage.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I use Google services extensively at work and home. I tried a Pixel 2 XL and am currently using iPhone X. Biggest difference with google integration is with sign ins when setting up new apps. Way easier on the Pixel. Once the apps are set up, not so much difference in usage.

Thanks for your explanation. This is all what I already knew, which is nothing drastic I just wanted to see how people think it’s life changing! There are minor minor differences, not enough to say that a google pixel is needed for google integration.

In comparison, an iPhone is NEEDED for
iMessage, FaceTime, HomeKit, etc.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your explanation. This is all what I already knew, which is nothing drastic I just wanted to see how people think it’s life changing! There are minor minor differences, not enough to say that a google pixel is needed for google integration.

In comparison, an iPhone is NEEDED for
iMessage, FaceTime, HomeKit, etc.

This is exactly how I look at it. I can get google apps and services to work great on my iPhone. iMessage, FaceTime, etc..don’t work on an android phone.

I think google apps are great on iOS. In fact, there have been times over the last year that I really felt the iOS version of a Google app was the superior version. Sounds crazy but it’s true. I usually have one of the recent Android phones around to compare and I really don’t feel like I miss anything with google apps when I’m on an iPhone.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I tried the Pixel 2 XL for 2 weeks and sent it back because my trial period was over with the thought that I would try the X for a couple of weeks and reorder the Pixel if I decided I liked it better. There were some things I was really starting to like with the Pixel 2 XL. I liked how LastPass and Google took care of my sign ins throughout apps. It seems like a little thing, but I really liked Google's native weather app. I liked the widgets and I liked being able to find apps to do things like send scheduled texts. The camera was awesome as well, better than the X's which I think tends to blowout highlights.

But after using the X for a few days I won't be going back. Everything is just so smooth and easy. At first I wasn't sure about face ID, but after using it a bit I love it. Everyone raves about Android's notifications but iOS's work fine for me. Voicemail on the Pixel was a pain. Little touches like the camera and the flashlight on the lock screen of the X really improve usability. You may not be able to customize iOS as much, but it's already setup the way you want it.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly how I look at it. I can get google apps and services to work great on my iPhone. iMessage, FaceTime, etc..don’t work on an android phone.

I think google apps are great on iOS. In fact, there have been times over the last year that I really felt the iOS version of a Google app was the superior version. Sounds crazy but it’s true. I usually have one of the recent Android phones around to compare and I really don’t feel like I miss anything with google apps when I’m on an iPhone.

Can’t agree with you more. Now you can use any google app on an iPhone and it is fully functional. That’s why I get a little annoyed when someone says that not only do you need an android device but now it has to be a google made android device to make more sense. Can use any phone for google ecosystem now a days

I’m not sure if I have found any pros to google apps on iOS over android. There are very minor things mostly just notification wise with how google apps are handled slightly better on android, just notification wise though...not functionality.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Can’t agree with you more. Now you can use any google app on an iPhone and it is fully functional. That’s why I get a little annoyed when someone says that not only do you need an android device but now it has to be a google made android device to make more sense. Can use any phone for google ecosystem now a days

I’m not sure if I have found any pros to google apps on iOS over android. There are very minor things mostly just notification wise with how google apps are handled slightly better on android, just notification wise though...not functionality.

Agreed. I don’t know that the iOS version was functionally any better, but I feel like they look better. Of course that’s the case with most apps on iOS vs android.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice