First iPhone 5

Adnams

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I can only agree with the OP 100% - I got my first iPhone, a 16Gb IP5 towards the end of November, having had a Galaxy S1 for the previous 18 months. All I can say is I now fully understand why the iPhone inspires such devotion - always been a gadget nut and this is gadget heaven. It's my MP3 player, my camera, my diary/calendar - the fact you can also make calls on it is almost a bonus! No more Androids for me - I'm iPhone for life :D

My changeover day spoke volumes - no sooner had Vodafone delivered my IP5 and I had the box open like an excited little kid on Christmas Day, my Galaxy decided to have an electronic 'huff' and has practically refused to boot up ever since ... on the rare occasions that it does, it crashes within minutes.

Found this forum via Twitter this morning - didn't know it existed until today!

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got the iPhone 5 about 3 weeks. I came from WP and Android prior to that.

I am liking it very much and really like the smooth synching between devices.

Hello to all the other new iPhone owners on here. 😊

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on getting a 5 and welcome! I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are other devices that equal or surpass the iPhone, the Note 2 being one example. What kills it is Android OS-lousy App Store, prone to malware, unreliable updates, etc. No matter how good the devices Samsung makes are, they'll always be second rate because they are shackled to Android.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on getting a 5 and welcome! I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are other devices that equal or surpass the iPhone, the Note 2 being one example. What kills it is Android OS-lousy App Store, prone to malware, unreliable updates, etc. No matter how good the devices Samsung makes are, they'll always be second rate because they are shackled to Android.

Agreed. The Android OS is a mess. Thing is, when you first start using them, they are fine for a while. But then they start to get buggy. iPhone's though, don't have this problem. They run smooth all the time. And I agree with the poster a few above me - the virtual keyboard on iOS is fantastic compared to anything on Android.

And to the OP - welcome to the club. Holding out for the 5S myself.

mrwaylon

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The Android OS is a mess. Thing is, when you first start using them, they are fine for a while. But then they start to get buggy. iPhone's though, don't have this problem. They run smooth all the time. And I agree with the poster a few above me - the virtual keyboard on iOS is fantastic compared to anything on Android.

And to the OP - welcome to the club. Holding out for the 5S myself.
thanks I know what you mean about how smooth it runs for a while then after a while it goes buggy. Even a restore dosent helps them I love the iphone5 I wish I got one sooner lol

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Congrats to the OP! I have used many phones over the years, but nothing comes close to the iPhone! I have tried many others but always return to Apple.

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but I had the Note 2 also, for 3 days. What I didn't like about it was 1) TV & movie selection lousy. Play store has poor variety, and no Amazon Insant Video app. 2) Hated the keyboards, not at all intuitive like IOS. 3) Scary security warnings when downloading apps. Truthfully, the actual device itself was pretty impressive. To those who've read my previous posts, I know I sound like a broken record, but what (IMO) really hurts the Note 2 is Android. To me it's just a sloppy, unfinished, unpolished OS. A Note 2 running IOS would be freaking awesome!

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: Congrats on your iPhone 5! I always think it's good to try out the different types of operating systems out there. You can't go wrong with the iPhone. I went the other way- iPhone 4S to S3. I'd have to say, so far so good and no buggy slowdown with time. Unlike my Droid I had- lousy POS OS/software. But the hardware was solid- I dropped that thing like a mofo and not even a scratch.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but I had the Note 2 also, for 3 days. What I didn't like about it was 1) TV & movie selection lousy. Play store has poor variety, and no Amazon Insant Video app. 2) Hated the keyboards, not at all intuitive like IOS. 3) Scary security warnings when downloading apps. Truthfully, the actual device itself was pretty impressive. To those who've read my previous posts, I know I sound like a broken record, but what (IMO) really hurts the Note 2 is Android. To me it's just a sloppy, unfinished, unpolished OS. A Note 2 running IOS would be freaking awesome!
- Play store poor selection? Agree.
- No amazon video? Got a Kindle for that :)
- Keyboard is OK, spell-check is ehhh... could be better. A recent update made it far better- when I first got it, I turned it off- it was awful.
- Scary security warnings? Google Play is less regulated so it's more buyer beware. I just download brand-name apps.
- Android has improved- it no longer is a half-baked OS.

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the note 2 . The play store selection is poor. I may be putting it up for sale on ebay. I already have a galaxy tab so why do i need a note 2 for??

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've tried my cousins Note 2 and owned a Galaxy S2 but hated it. I don't have a problem with the size per se but the OS is just convoluted and ugly in my humble opinion.

I applaud Samsung for pushing the hardware boundaries but many of those features are totally unnecessary and serve no real world purpose apart from excessive battery drain.

So as Jony Ive says: ?It?s very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better.?

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tried my cousins Note 2 and owned a Galaxy S2 but hated it. I don't have a problem with the size per se but the OS is just convoluted and ugly in my humble opinion.

I applaud Samsung for pushing the hardware boundaries but many of those features are totally unnecessary and serve no real world purpose apart from excessive battery drain.

So as Jony Ive says: ?It?s very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better.?

I agree. The features are amazing but after owning the note 2 for 3 weeks I don't even use all of that extra stuff. I'm so hesitant to put my note on ebay :( I miss my iphone and some games that I would pay and some apps not available on android. :(

broadwayblues

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I started a couple of years ago with an iPod Touch, but sold it to a friend leaving for college.
Then I got an iMac.
Then the 3rd gen iMac.
Now I've had the iPhone 5 for three days.

Problem is, I write for an Android website and ditched an S3 for the iPhone.

There's been a billion articles written about the iOS vs Android back and forth, this vs that -- blah blah blah. For me the reason to switch was to see if the iPhone picked up better than the S3. The S3 has been a PITA since I got it the Jelly Bean update, dropping LTE and 3G, shaky connections and worst of all, the mobile hotspot didn't work worth a flip. Verizon did everything they could, even upgraded the equipment at the tower I use at home (it was scheduled to be upgraded anyway, they just did it faster.) Nothing worked, I was sent 3 different S3s, and even got an Ausrion replacement S3 that was refurbished in the USA. Nothing worked. My wife's Razr Maxx had this really bad thing where it wouldn't hold LTE even though the S3 was chugging along with a 4-5 bars of LTE. It would drop to 3G and sometimes 1X, flipping around like crazy, but the hotspot worked since she was on ICS and not Jelly Bean.

Anyway, you know how this story is going to turn out. I don't have any problems with reception. My hotspot works great and it even seems to work better than on Android since my iMac does USB tethering natively and the iPad works great off the iPhone hotspot too.

My phone needed to have a strong connection, and I suspect that there is something going on with Android and CDMA that isn't playing nice when in a somewhat fringe area of coverage. For whatever reason, the iPhone just works for where I live and I have to live with that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods