First ever MacBook pro

kevdawg86

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am going to get my first ever MacBook pro. I'm looking at a few different models.

Early 2013 Model
Processor
2.4 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
Memory
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
Storage
256GB Flash Storage1
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
$1489 + tax

Early 2013
Processor
2.7 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
Memory
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
Storage
512GB Flash Storage1
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
$1999 + tax

Mid 2014
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (Crystalwell)
16GB of Onboard 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM
512GB PCIe-Based Flash Storage
Iris Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics (2GB)
$2249 No tax required.

This is an investment for many years to come. Any info for a first time macbook owner would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any other recommendations (accessories, apps, Applecare etc) please let me know.

Zelda12

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
go for the one from B&H. :yes:

I bought mine from them. but i got the $1800 mid 2014 one. I do believe the one I got is more than enough to handle almost anything possible. even avid media composer runs great on the macbook pro. of course, using an external for the drive is necessary because of only having 250 gb flash memory.

If you don't plan on using that nvidia gt 750m, if you don't need the extra 250 gb storage, or the 2.5ghz, which is not to much of a difference since it is quad core i7, I would put the $450 to others things you might want. like accessories for the macbook pro. like a cover, a brief case, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I actually bought a few games on the app store, tomb raider and batman arkham. they were all on sale when I bought them, anyways, they run pretty well with medium settings. I haven't tried high settings because I feel that medium settings is just fine.

what I've said above is for me. I do believe this macbook pro will last me for 5+ years. if you feel like $450 is no big deal, by all means get the 2.5ghz, 500 flash memory, nvidia card.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I got the mid 2014 and love it. Final Cut Pro runs great as well as compression programs etc. saves a bunch of time over older models.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

kevdawg86

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
go for the one from B&H. :yes:

I bought mine from them. but i got the $1800 mid 2014 one. I do believe the one I got is more than enough to handle almost anything possible. even avid media composer runs great on the macbook pro. of course, using an external for the drive is necessary because of only having 250 gb flash memory.

If you don't plan on using that nvidia gt 750m, if you don't need the extra 250 gb storage, or the 2.5ghz, which is not to much of a difference since it is quad core i7, I would put the $450 to others things you might want. like accessories for the macbook pro. like a cover, a brief case, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I actually bought a few games on the app store, tomb raider and batman arkham. they were all on sale when I bought them, anyways, they run pretty well with medium settings. I haven't tried high settings because I feel that medium settings is just fine.

what I've said above is for me. I do believe this macbook pro will last me for 5+ years. if you feel like $450 is no big deal, by all means get the 2.5ghz, 500 flash memory, nvidia card.

Do you find that this system would be able to handle photo editing programs such as Photoshop without any issues. I do a lot more photo editing, video editing, and recording and some but not a lot of gaming.

Zelda12

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
If a 16gb ram, 2.2ghz quad core i7 machine can't power a program like photoshop smoothly, than boy are we in trouble. I am running avid media composer very smoothly on my mid 2014 2.2ghz 16gb ram macbook pro.

if gaming is not a concern, for sure the $1800 model is way more than enough. but like I said earlier, go for the $2249 model if you have the money. the only thing, and i really mean the only thing is I wish it came with 500gb ssd instead of just 250gb ssd. BUT!!! that's what an external hdd is for. I bought a WD 1tb hard drive for $50 at fry's.

when I bought my macbook pro, I couldn't justify paying the extra $450 when I knew that a 2.2ghz quad core with 16gb ram was way more machine than I would need. plus, the extra $450 for me went towards all the accessories like a cover, brief case, Avid keyboard, mouse and external hd.

I use lightroom myself for photo editing and it runs great. without a doubt, more than enough machine to run whatever you want. except for gaming at high resolution. but, a macbook pro is not meant to be a gaming machine in the first place.

good luck with your decision.

kevdawg86

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If a 16gb ram, 2.2ghz quad core i7 machine can't power a program like photoshop smoothly, than boy are we in trouble. I am running avid media composer very smoothly on my mid 2014 2.2ghz 16gb ram macbook pro.

if gaming is not a concern, for sure the $1800 model is way more than enough. but like I said earlier, go for the $2249 model if you have the money. the only thing, and i really mean the only thing is I wish it came with 500gb ssd instead of just 250gb ssd. BUT!!! that's what an external hdd is for. I bought a WD 1tb hard drive for $50 at fry's.

when I bought my macbook pro, I couldn't justify paying the extra $450 when I knew that a 2.2ghz quad core with 16gb ram was way more machine than I would need. plus, the extra $450 for me went towards all the accessories like a cover, brief case, Avid keyboard, mouse and external hd.

I use lightroom myself for photo editing and it runs great. without a doubt, more than enough machine to run whatever you want. except for gaming at high resolution. but, a macbook pro is not meant to be a gaming machine in the first place.

good luck with your decision.

Thank you for all the help. I've thought about using light room so to know it works great is very reassuring. This is my first macbook (always has Windows before) so I want to make sure to get it right the first time lol.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and splurged and got the top of the line. The same model as yours I think.

That is great! The only thing I couldn't afford was the 1TB. Word is there will be a third party available this year. Congratz.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Zelda12

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and splurged and got the top of the line. The same model as yours I think.

Congrats!!!! in the end, if that is the one you wanted and you got the $1800 model instead, you would've regretted not getting the one you wanted.

now, go splurge on accessories.

kevdawg86

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Congrats!!!! in the end, if that is the one you wanted and you got the $1800 model instead, you would've regretted not getting the one you wanted.

now, go splurge on accessories.

Yeah that was my biggest concern. I actually debated back and fourth until it said shipped haha. I think I would have been annoyed with myself had I fit something that I later didn't like. Thank you so much for the help. It is greatly appreciated. Do you have recommendations for accessories? Being new to macbook I'm not sure what is all out there.

Zelda12

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that was my biggest concern. I actually debated back and fourth until it said shipped haha. I think I would have been annoyed with myself had I fit something that I later didn't like. Thank you so much for the help. It is greatly appreciated. Do you have recommendations for accessories? Being new to macbook I'm not sure what is all out there.

the basics. keyboard, mouse, external hd for storage and backup, I recommend a cover for it. I got the tech21 macbook pro case which is $100. but out of all of them, I found to be the best. I also got a brief case, a brenthaven brief, which was $60 on B&H. really though, you are the ultimate decider in what you really need/want. I love accessories, so, I bought a lot. haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice