Find My iPhone Questions

G323q569

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I know about Find My iPhone and I have it installed on my iPhone 4 however, I have always wondered about a few things dealing with it.

1. Even if the app is installed on my iPhone, if I don't have it running in the background will it still work? Say I had reset my phone or I closed "Find my iPhone" and then lost it. Will it still locate/wipe/lock it even if the app isn't being ran in the background?

2. If I have Find my iPhone installed on my iPhone 4 and am not logged in, will it still work?

I know these questions are either very "beginner" or "ridiculous" however I am just wondering.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
There actually is no need to have the app on your iPhone. Once you link your Apple ID (Mobile Me account) to your phone as long as your phone is on you will be able to lock it remotely, have it sound an alert, find it on a map or display a custom message on screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You do not need to have the app on your phone, but what you DO need to do is go into settings, Mail, Contacts, & Calenders, MobileMe, and make sure that "Find My iPhone" is switched to on. As long as that's on you're good so long as whoever finds/steals it doesn't power the phone off, disconnect it from a network (wifi or 3g), remove your sim card, or restore the phone.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I was curious about FindMyPhone. Lets say the phone gets stolen you can locate. How would you get it back. Would the police actually go get it for you. For example, you randomly get lost in a strange city and than get robbed by crack and meth addicted homeless guys and the phone is sitting in a crack house with 20 of the thugs surrounding it. Would local Police help you out like they would a stolen car with tracking on it.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was curious about FindMyPhone. Lets say the phone gets stolen you can locate. How would you get it back. Would the police actually go get it for you. For example, you randomly get lost in a strange city and than get robbed by crack and meth addicted homeless guys and the phone is sitting in a crack house with 20 of the thugs surrounding it. Would local Police help you out like they would a stolen car with tracking on it.

I did read a story on these forums a little while ago about a guy who had lost his (might've been his wife's phone even) and managed to locate it using Find My iPhone, and the police were able to intervene. Think they got it back in the end.

In fact, here is that story:

http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4-forum/216645-technology-wins-again-saga-stolen-iphone.html

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox