Finally... Wireless Charging!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Stoked to hear the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and 8 Plus will all support Qi wireless charging. On top of that, looks like Apple will unveil their 'AirPower' charging pad sometime next year.

Thrilled to have this, but in order to really take advantage I'll need to a) buy a new iPhone, b) buy a new Apple watch, and c) buy an AirPower charger, or another third party charger.

Seems like a lot of $$$. What's your take?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Agreed that's an investment but if you want the take advantage of it you'll have do all those things mentioned.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
AirPower charger is what I want. Interested in getting that new AirPod case too. Definitely looking forward to using built in QI charging. Those QI adapters from Amazon always end up failing after a while.

I did see a mention about fast charging too in one of the slides. So I guess that will be the only advantage of wired charging. Just hope the wireless charging isn’t too slow.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
It's cool that iPhone finally gets wireless charging, but the $$$ are a bit much once you add it all up. $999 for the bast iPhone X model, plus the $329 price tag for the base Apple Watch Series 3 plus the $??? for the AirPower charging pad, and this is all before tax. That's easily $1500 right there, possibly more depending on the cost of the AirPower charging mat.

Yikes.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Here is some Canadian math...

256GB iPhone X - $1,529.00 CAD
AppleCare+ (because you will need it for this phone) - $249.00

Without case and accessories, that is $1,973.93 CAD for just the phone. Now, you add in a case, say $50 so that you don't put some piece of junk on your sweet new phone, then you get a charging mat, another $50. Then let's say you add an Apple Watch Series 3 Stainless Steel (with Cellular of course), now you need to add another $799 CAD + tax, so that is now $2,968.81 after taxes, case, and charging mat. A few more trinkets here and there and you're over $3,000 CAD easily. Do you think this is overpriced?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just happy that they did not come up with some kind of proprietary wireless charging system.

Agreed. Its been a long time coming for iPhones to finally support wireless charging. Android users have been enjoying this feature for quite a few years now so its good to see Apple FINALLY implementing it. I personally don't use Wireless charging very often, but its always nice to have the extra options available to you just incase the charging port breaks or something :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Considering the massive discount I’m going to get on the iPhone X this year, I’m ok with with. I only need $849+tax since T-Mobile will give me $300 for my 7 Plus. And having the wireless charging will be nice.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This may be a silly question, but.... :D

I'm really excited about the wireless charging, but can you charge a phone that has a case on it? Or, would you have to remove the case first?

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm really excited about the wireless charging, but can you charge a phone that has a case on it? Or, would you have to remove the case first?

It depends. If it is like android phones, which it should be. It depends on how thick the case is. On my old gs6 thin cases would be fine, the otter box defender didn’t work as dependable. It had to be placed just right and any little bump would make it stop.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy to see it mostly because my car has a wireless charging compartment. I doubt I'll get a wireless pad for home.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Really depends on the phone. I have had devices where the Otterbox defender case charges fine and others where it did not. All thin cases work. Just depends on the case but most overall should work.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Considering the massive discount I’m going to get on the iPhone X this year, I’m ok with with. I only need $849+tax since T-Mobile will give me $300 for my 7 Plus. And having the wireless charging will be nice.

Seems to me you would do better if you sold the 7+ outright and then bought the 10. 7s are selling on CL in the Phoenix area for aroung $550 for the 128 GB version.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me you would do better if you sold the 7+ outright and then bought the 10. 7s are selling on CL in the Phoenix area for aroung $550 for the 128 GB version.

But I’d have to buy it from T-Mobile first at about $250, then sell it for $600? Then I have $350, may as well just stick to the $300 T-Mobile will give me for trade in.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Some case supports it. But if the case is too thick then it won’t work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73