Family Sharing: Revoke permission for already purchased app

I

iMore Question

Hi:

I have the same question posted on the Apple site and elsewhere, but I haven't seen any definitive answers.

My daughter's phone is set up with Family Sharing and Ask to Buy turned on. I approved an app for her, but I've since changed my mind. But if I delete it from her phone, she's able to reinstall it, because it already was approved.

How do I revoke my approval so that when the app is deleted, she can't reinstall without my permission?

When I open iTunes on my Mac, I don't see the app listed, presumably because it was installed on her phone, not mine. So I don't know how to manage this app.

Thanks.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Upon my preliminary searches, it did not seem possible or easy to do on an app by app basis. HOWEVER I saw a suggestion to change the age restriction on the child's phone, BUT that's still going to affect more than the one app, AND if the app doesn't have an age restriction, it won't work.

I also put out a call for help from others so hopefully someone else will come along with more knowledge about Family Sharing. :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know an app purchase can’t be revoked once it’s been approved. Hiding the purchase in iTunes won’t stop her from re-downloading it either. All you can really do is place a restriction on her device that disallows App Store downloads. The unfortunate part of doing that is that she won’t be able to download ANY apps without having the restriction removed first.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don’t really know anything about Family Sharing but I did some preliminary research and at least in 2015 there were no app by app provisions after an app has been purchased.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Parenting might apply here. What I would suggest is have a conversation with your daughter and explain that you don't want her using that certain app anymore. Tell her the reason, IF you want, so she'll understand, OR not, YOU are the parent you don't need a reason. Then trust her not to download it again, BUT check her phone at some point and if the app is there, then some sort of punishment. No phone at all for a week? Extra chores? I don't know, you pick, lol.

But I don't think the technology can help here.

Will Terrell

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
I also accidentally approved an app for my child. I found a solution and wanted to share it with everyone.

First, if your child has fingerprint turned on and is using it as a way to approve a download, turn it off and delete the fingerprint data.

Then, go into their Apple ID and change the password to their Apple ID.

Next, force a password for the Apps store every time as well as for all FREE APPS. Follow these steps:
Open the Settings app.
Tap your name.
Tap Media & Purchases.
Tap Password Settings, then select "Always Require Password" and turn ON "Require Password" for Free Downloads.

Now when your child tries to download the app you don't want them to download it will require a password and the password has been changed and they will need to come to you. Just don't share the new password to their Apple ID!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I also accidentally approved an app for my child. I found a solution and wanted to share it with everyone.

First, if your child has fingerprint turned on and is using it as a way to approve a download, turn it off and delete the fingerprint data.

Then, go into their Apple ID and change the password to their Apple ID.

Next, force a password for the Apps store every time as well as for all FREE APPS. Follow these steps:
Open the Settings app.
Tap your name.
Tap Media & Purchases.
Tap Password Settings, then select "Always Require Password" and turn ON "Require Password" for Free Downloads.

Now when your child tries to download the app you don't want them to download it will require a password and the password has been changed and they will need to come to you. Just don't share the new password to their Apple ID!

Hello and welcome to iMore! Thanks for sharing your solution! When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2