Facetime over LTE

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
When the Five and IOS 6 first came out, it was discussed and at that time Verizon stated they would allow facetime over 3g/4g. Att stated they would only do so if the customer subscribed to the Mobile Share plans.

Testing with friends on AT&T proved this to be true. That was over a month ago, perhaps something has changed. That or a few of you are getting lucky! Haha

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Att said FaceTime over cellular will only be allowed if you have an iPhone 5(doesn't matter what plan) or mobile share. So the reason it won't work for the 4s is because you don't have mobile share

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Att said FaceTime over cellular will only be allowed if you have an iPhone 5(doesn't matter what plan) or mobile share. So the reason it won't work for the 4s is because you don't have mobile share

I must have missed that. I knew about only over cellular if on mobile share, but never heard about the iPhone 5 exclusively doing it regardless.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People have to stop being surprised by these moves by the carriers when it comes to grandfathered data plans...they are going to find every way possible to stick it to you because you're essentially the "rebels" to them.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It looks as if the requirement change for the Five is a new development? That's cool!

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say Apple doesn't want it going main stream, I'd say that mobile carriers are scared of it going main stream.

The only reason I say it is not because it doesn't work for me, but that it is not widespread enough. You can't facetime on Blackberry, Android or even Windows. If Apple wanted it out there, there would be facetime apps on all platforms and more pressure on AT&T to open it up. By the time they decide to open it up it may already be too late, if it isn't already.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I say it is not because it doesn't work for me, but that it is not widespread enough. You can't facetime on Blackberry, Android or even Windows. If Apple wanted it out there, there would be facetime apps on all platforms and more pressure on AT&T to open it up. By the time they decide to open it up it may already be too late, if it isn't already.

It's more than likely about money. How can AT&T make money off of the top selling handset, the iPhone whose popular video chatting app can now occur over a cellular network? Being that practically any iPhone running iOS 6 can FaceTime over cellular with Verizon, that seemed to have put AT&T in a minor predicament. For the sake of argument, let's say that AT&T allows their customers who are using an iPhone 5 to FaceTime over its cellular network without restrictions. Can they still make money? Yes, especially if they have more iPhone customers who do not have an iPhone 5, but would want to be able to FaceTime without having to be connected to Wi-Fi. I have an AT&T account that my daughter uses, but she rarely uses FaceTime. She and her ilk prefer ooVoo and a few others cross platform video chatting apps. Other than reading a couple of articles and reading comments posted here, I haven't been keeping up with AT&T's FaceTime drama.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
People have to stop being surprised by these moves by the carriers when it comes to grandfathered data plans...they are going to find every way possible to stick it to you because you're essentially the "rebels" to them.

I’m not surprised by this crap... but I am annoyed. What part of "unlimited data" confuses them? :)

"Unlimited data" used to mean data with no limits or restrictions... but as soon as it is no longer convenient for THEM, they come out of the woodwork with restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you thing Skype video chat is? It’s basically a version of FaceTime for any platform for which there is a Skype client... I’m just sick of the nickel and diming that these carriers pull. Problem is, where are you going to go? :)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I?m not surprised by this crap... but I am annoyed. What part of "unlimited data" confuses them? :)

"Unlimited data" used to mean data with no limits or restrictions... but as soon as it is no longer convenient for THEM, they come out of the woodwork with restrictions.
You are spot-on here, my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you thing Skye video chat is? It?s basically a version of FaceTime for any platform for which there is a Skype client... I?m just sick of the nickel and diming that these carriers pull. Problem is, where are you going to go? :)
Again, I'm on agreement ...;)