Facetime disconnects after 5-10 secs..but not for everyone. What could the problem be?

I

iMore Question

Facetime disconnects after 5-10 secs...but not for everyone

**I know this is mainly a forum for IPhone users, but I thought the same rules would apply with my MacBook**

I have had some issues with Facetime lately. It works fine with everyone else on my contact list -- except one person. When I call her, it will connect the call for about 5-10 seconds and then freeze (on my end). She can still see/hear me when it freezes on my end, but then the call drops. I cannot understand why this happens just for her. Both of our WiFi connections are good and she mentions that Facetime works for her with other contacts as well. There seems to be a problem between the two of us.

We both have MacBook Air notebooks, even though mine is a newer version than hers (I think she has a 2013 model and I have 2015). She and I both have upgraded to El Capitan and we have the latest Facetime software on our devices. On my own, I have tried:

1) Resetting the SMC

2) Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8

3) Signing out of Facetime, shutting down the notebook, waiting a specified period of time (all night even) and signing back in to Facetime

4) Shutting down the notebook and pressing the Option + Command + P+R keys (not sure what this did, but Apple Care told me to try it)

5) Checking to make sure the date/time was correct (although this one would make more sense if I had problems with all contacts)

At this point, I do not know what else I can try to do. It is weird because it suddenly stopped working for us one day, and I cannot think of anything that we did differently than before. In fact, we upgraded the OS to see if that would fix the problem, and it did not. I keep trying to think of what parameters were in place when it actually worked for us. I don't know if this would matter, but she also has an Iphone. She has even tried toggling Facetime off on the Iphone, but it still doesn't fix the problem. (I do not.)

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH JUST ONE CONTACT?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Facetime disconnects after 5-10 secs...but not for everyone

**I know this is mainly a forum for IPhone users, but I thought the same rules would apply with my MacBook**

I have had some issues with Facetime lately. It works fine with everyone else on my contact list -- except one person. When I call her, it will connect the call for about 5-10 seconds and then freeze (on my end). She can still see/hear me when it freezes on my end, but then the call drops. I cannot understand why this happens just for her. Both of our WiFi connections are good and she mentions that Facetime works for her with other contacts as well. There seems to be a problem between the two of us.

We both have MacBook Air notebooks, even though mine is a newer version than hers (I think she has a 2013 model and I have 2015). She and I both have upgraded to El Capitan and we have the latest Facetime software on our devices. On my own, I have tried:

1) Resetting the SMC

2) Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8

3) Signing out of Facetime, shutting down the notebook, waiting a specified period of time (all night even) and signing back in to Facetime

4) Shutting down the notebook and pressing the Option + Command + P+R keys (not sure what this did, but Apple Care told me to try it)

5) Checking to make sure the date/time was correct (although this one would make more sense if I had problems with all contacts)

At this point, I do not know what else I can try to do. It is weird because it suddenly stopped working for us one day, and I cannot think of anything that we did differently than before. In fact, we upgraded the OS to see if that would fix the problem, and it did not. I keep trying to think of what parameters were in place when it actually worked for us. I don't know if this would matter, but she also has an Iphone. She has even tried toggling Facetime off on the Iphone, but it still doesn't fix the problem. (I do not.)

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH JUST ONE CONTACT?

i assume you have a email address as well as phone number for facetime.
what happns when you try to facetime the email address vs the phone number ?

Proud_Arian

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Facetime disconnects after 5-10 secs...but not for everyone

I think she uses a phone number and e-mail address--I just use my e-mail address for my Mac. When I call the phone number for her, it connects a little longer (like maybe 20 secs), but it still disconnects. The email address connection time for her is even less...like 5 secs...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR