FaceID works with my mask

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So it must have learned face with my mask on cause today when I was at Popeyes I took my phone out while waiting for my food and it was unlocked so I was like wait!

So I tested it a few more times and it kept unlocking. I have two masks and when I got home I tested it with the other one and nope didn’t work. So maybe if I keep wearing the other one also it could learn my face with that one also.

7937d1d0c749e56dc8b56e3f5c34cbb3.plist

This is what I’m wearing.

I just tried it again after taking this photo and instantly unlocked.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I figured that eventually the phone will learn that it’s you after failures to unlock followed by immediate passcode input.

I just pull the mask down if I actually have one on.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Oh man, these times makes me miss TouchID, for sure. My iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn't ever recognize my face in a mask and there's no way I'm pulling it down in Target to authenticate since that would defeat the purpose of the mask. I do put in my PIN when I do it, but that's not convenient. I'm hoping the iPhone 12 will have both FaceID and TouchID under the glass given the times.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, these times makes me miss TouchID, for sure. My iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn't ever recognize my face in a mask and there's no way I'm pulling it down in Target to authenticate since that would defeat the purpose of the mask. I do put in my PIN when I do it, but that's not convenient. I'm hoping the iPhone 12 will have both FaceID and TouchID under the glass given the times.

IDK I just feel that the in display touchID is something  will not do it would be cool to be proven wrong but considering most of the reviewers lambast the ones on Android phones I think  would really want to make sure there’s is flawless.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Touch ID is pretty useless if your wearing gloves, Face ID still works though.

iPhone 12 with Touch ID, Not going to happen.

Current optical under screen FPS sensors are inferior to the legacy capacitive sensors Apple used to use.

Qualcomm’s ultrasound FPS used by Samsung is just plain junk that never works. It’s an off the shelf component that no other oem wants to use. Guess Samsung believed their users wouldn’t notice/care.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Current optical under screen FPS sensors are inferior to the legacy capacitive sensors Apple used to use.

Qualcomm’s ultrasound FPS used by Samsung is just plain junk that never works. It’s an off the shelf component that no other oem wants to use. Guess Samsung believed their users wouldn’t notice/care.

What’s funny sʌᴍsᴜɴɢ didn’t even attempt to upgrade the sensor.

Also the whole S20 launch has been hilarious to watch.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
So it must have learned face with my mask on cause today when I was at Popeyes I took my phone out while waiting for my food and it was unlocked so I was like wait!

So I tested it a few more times and it kept unlocking. I have two masks and when I got home I tested it with the other one and nope didn’t work. So maybe if I keep wearing the other one also it could learn my face with that one also.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/7937d1d0c749e56dc8b56e3f5c34cbb3.plist
This is what I’m wearing.

I just tried it again after taking this photo and instantly unlocked.

You probably have Require Attention turned off in your Face ID settings. I actually have this disabled so I can use FaceID with wearing dark sunglasses and a hat also allows me to use with a mask as well (with no sunglasses on).

f651199aeb5c35845c8fa372ea1f0b92.plist

Last edited:

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

I think Touch ID will make a come back along with Face ID. I mean why not have both. Nothing wrong with Qualcomm Ultrasonic FPS or any in display FPS. I've never had issues with it and many don't. Don't take what you read in the forums as to what the masses are experiencing. I love how people love to judge without any real world experience.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
As it is now, my iPhone 11Pro directs me to enter my alpha-numerical pass phrase almost immediately if FaceID doesn’t detect me correctly wearing a mask. This is perfect when I need my phone out in the wild, otherwise I just use my Apple Watch.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Nope I’ve had that turned on since owning the iPhone X.

d466802c1f1adc771351238681654802.png

Nice, then I guess it actually is learning your face more over time as it should be. Maybe I'll flip the switch back on and see how it does. I've had it off since getting the 11 Pro but had it on with my Xs.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think Touch ID will make a come back along with Face ID.

That’s completely your prerogative.

The iPhone 12 will be released in a couple of months and will only have Face ID, hope that doesn’t shock you.

I mean why not have both.

You could but you would have to compromise in other areas; a larger phone or a smaller battery due to the additional components needed. Nobody wants that.

Probably the same reason Apple removed the headphone jack or why the iPhone doesn’t have both a touchscreen and a physical keypad. It’s utterly pointless to have both.

Nothing wrong with Qualcomm Ultrasonic FPS or any in display FPS. I've never had issues with it and many don't.

Actually the Qualcomm ultrasonic FPS is utter garbage. Probably why no one else is using it.

And no, many do have problems with it. Probably one of the reasons the s20 flopped, especially in the states, price and camera flaws have also factored in.

Some Samsung users claim they don’t have any problems, probably the same ones that claimed curved displays weren’t plagued by false input touches or miraculously never had any glare on the curve.It happens.

Don't take what you read in the forums as to what the masses are experiencing.

The irony.

So you have heard about the issues users are having with the ultrasonic FPS.

Other than forums, twitter, Reddit and a majority of reviews have all shared how bad the ultrasonic FPS is in use, some banks even banned the s10 from using it in their apps. But You seem to have a differing opinion, good for you.

One of my colleagues upgraded to the s20 Ultra from the note 9, a week later he switched to the iPhone 11 Pro Max. He said he was tired of having to always use the pin to get into his phone, he also hated the camera and that pushed him over the edge.

I have tried the sensor on the s20 Ultra and that’s why I think it’s garbage. The camera is pretty slow and the phone does not feel balanced in the hand. Personally it felt cheap for a 1600 dollar phone.

I love how people love to judge without any real world experience.

That’s pretty sad.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
That’s completely your prerogative.

The iPhone 12 will be released in a couple of months and will only have Face ID, hope that doesn’t shock you.

You could but you would have to compromise in other areas; a larger phone or a smaller battery due to the additional components needed. Nobody wants that.

Probably the same reason Apple removed the headphone jack or why the iPhone doesn’t have both a touchscreen and a physical keypad. It’s utterly pointless to have both.

Actually the Qualcomm ultrasonic FPS is utter garbage. Probably why no one else is using it.

And no, many do have problems with it. Probably one of the reasons the s20 flopped, especially in the states, price and camera flaws have also factored in.

Some Samsung users claim they don’t have any problems, probably the same ones that claimed curved displays weren’t plagued by false input touches or miraculously never had any glare on the curve.It happens.

The irony.

So you have heard about the issues users are having with the ultrasonic FPS.

Other than forums, twitter, Reddit and a majority of reviews have all shared how bad the ultrasonic FPS is in use, some banks even banned the s10 from using it in their apps. But You seem to have a differing opinion, good for you.

One of my colleagues upgraded to the s20 Ultra from the note 9, a week later he switched to the iPhone 11 Pro Max. He said he was tired of having to always use the pin to get into his phone, he also hated the camera and that pushed him over the edge.

I have tried the sensor on the s20 Ultra and that’s why I think it’s garbage. The camera is pretty slow and the phone does not feel balanced in the hand. Personally it felt cheap for a 1600 dollar phone.

That’s pretty sad.

Again, you still don't speak from personal experience of everyday use so it still doesn't hold any weight but I appreciate your opinion. Have a good day.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Again, you still don't speak from personal experience of everyday use so it still doesn't hold any weight but I appreciate your opinion. Have a good day.

So you have to use something that doesn’t work everyday to be able to say that it doesn’t work. Even though you have used it from personal experience.

Your not making much sense, that doesn’t hold any weight.

Your opinion does not match the general consensus. Have a wonderful day.

d2112b006a66f60c97dbd62278f4dc6b.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods