Facebook is tracking me even though everything is off.

orcadian

Sep 28, 2018
Visit site
On https://www.imore.com/how-stop-facebook-tracking-your-location, you ask us to let you know if we have any more Location Tracking questions. I do but I cannot find any way of "letting you know" other than leaving a comment. Let's see if it works.

I do not have a smartphone and I use Facebook ONLY from my desktop PC. Settings\Privacy\Location says 'location history is off' and clicking on location history confirms this. I have never given my home town. I never post anything about local activities and the App Platform is turned off. I have never allowed tagging and tag review has always been On. I have never 'checked in' or given my location at any time. Yet Facebook clearly knows where I am, because it frequently posts 'friends are going to events near you' and the like. I find this extremely creepy and I want to stop Facebook from tracking me. Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
On https://www.imore.com/how-stop-facebook-tracking-your-location, you ask us to let you know if we have any more Location Tracking questions. I do but I cannot find any way of "letting you know" other than leaving a comment. Let's see if it works.

I do not have a smartphone and I use Facebook ONLY from my desktop PC. Settings\Privacy\Location says 'location history is off' and clicking on location history confirms this. I have never given my home town. I never post anything about local activities and the App Platform is turned off. I have never allowed tagging and tag review has always been On. I have never 'checked in' or given my location at any time. Yet Facebook clearly knows where I am, because it frequently posts 'friends are going to events near you' and the like. I find this extremely creepy and I want to stop Facebook from tracking me. Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

If all your friends tend to be from city X and only a very few from other various cities, it’s not that hard to conclude that you’re also from city X.

orcadian

Sep 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi Tartarus. Thanks. Just looked into that. About 25% of my friends do live within 50 miles of here. It's certainly the biggest grouping. Another 40% are scattered across the UK, 25% live in the USA, and 10% are in Europe. I am suspicious, though, that Fb has some other way of knowing where I live and if so, I want to turn that off or block it in some way.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tartarus. Thanks. Just looked into that. About 25% of my friends do live within 50 miles of here. It's certainly the biggest grouping. Another 40% are scattered across the UK, 25% live in the USA, and 10% are in Europe. I am suspicious, though, that Fb has some other way of knowing where I live and if so, I want to turn that off or block it in some way.

Do you have a city listed in your profile? They are probably basing it off of that.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Even if you delete Facebook completely(takes about three weeks) you will find Facebook has planted cookies on whatever machine you use . And if you managed to stop that, Google tracks you constantly, and Amazon !!