Face ID on iPhone X - Love it or hate it?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a number of concerns from members, guests and friends about the upcoming Face ID Apple is using on the iPhone X.

For me - I tend to reserve judgement until I can actually try it out first hand (hope to soon!), but until then, I'm going on what I can read and watch.

What's your take on Face ID so far? Do you welcome it? Or do you see potential holes or pitfalls that may have gone overlooked?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It will be like the FPS on the iPhone 5S, it will work, but slow and sometimes even failures. Then a year later they will improve it and everyone will be delighted.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Is unlikely it will work as well as Touch ID out of the gate. There are some clear limitations as well compared to Touch ID that were laid out well in a commentary piece on Android Central actually. Overall, it’s a Plan B, and always was a Plan B.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I like the idea of FaceID, but I think it's stupid that you'll have to swipe up to unlock the phone. It should just read your face and open.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of FaceID, but I think it's stupid that you'll have to swipe up to unlock the phone. It should just read your face and open.

I think they opted for this because there's no way to view notifications on the home screen otherwise. If you pick up your phone to check the time/a notification/whatever, it would insanely unlock. I think there needs to be another step but I don't know if swiping is it (virtual home button you 3D Touch?). I'm not really a fan of Face ID. I
don't think it's developed enough. Will that stop me from getting an X? Who knows.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't concerned about Face ID until the botched demo. Now I'm concerned.

You mean the same security measure unlock with Apple Watch on Mac and TouchID have? They just failed to have the device properly ready for the keynote. It didn’t fail to work, it just stated that PIN was required to use FaceID again.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’m ok with FaceID, and swiping to unlock. I already have to hold my finger on the FPS for as long as it would take to swipe up so no change there time-wise. It’ll catch on, the 3D mapping for facial recognition that is. I can’t wait to try it out.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You mean the same security measure unlock with Apple Watch on Mac and TouchID have? They just failed to have the device properly ready for the keynote. It didn’t fail to work, it just stated that PIN was required to use FaceID again.

The device wasn't properly ready for the demo?? Really? Sorry, I just find that highly unlikely. You're talking about what likely will become the most important technological change and the phone wasn't ready to demo it? I find it far more likely that the Face ID simply failed to work.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The device wasn't properly ready for the demo?? Really? Sorry, I just find that highly unlikely. You're talking about what likely will become the most important technological change and the phone wasn't ready to demo it? I find it far more likely that the Face ID simply failed to work.

Watch it again. It literally shows on the screen the message that PIN is required to activate FaceID. It’s a security measure, but it did indeed recognize his face. They failed to have it set up properly for the keynote.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Watch it again. It literally shows on the screen the message that PIN is required to activate FaceID. It’s a security measure, but it did indeed recognize his face. They failed to have it set up properly for the keynote.

If that was true, there would already be news of an eviscerated Apply employee. :laughing:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Here’s a screenshot

318f7bfeaa3a7a93a8721814a3ecd8fc.png

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I didn't like that much until I saw several hands on demos. It looked to be very fast and reliable. Listening to the Apple reps explain things also got my mind thinking about how the workflow would change from TouchID. The new work flow I think will be strange at first (like the transition to TouchID from Swipe to Unlock) but ultimately work just fine. I'm not buying this year, sticking with my iPhone 7. But when the time comes I am pretty sure I will be going to iPhone X or XI.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If you watch the online demos (post Keynote) it worked every time, very fast, w/o issue. Not saying their will not be issues, but that's not my main worry. Can still unlock with code. I have had several bugs with Touch ID and had to do a hard reset. Granted it's a $1200 phone (basically), so should have no flaws, but I have seen $60K cars recalled. It happens.

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it is nice addition. It not on the same level as Touch ID. I think they should have put it on the back of the device. May not have been as pretty but it's nice not having a legacy input that is quick and easy to use even more so than the Face ID.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
My galaxy s8 has facial recognition and you can set it to open to home screen with just a look. I bet there will be an option in the settings somewhere to do this on the iPhone X.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think having FaceID is a nice addition to the iPhone feature list but i still think having a fingerprint sensor to unlock the device is much easier. Having it on the back of the device wouldn't have been so bad. Many Android devices have it there and customers seem quite happy :) Luckily we still have the iPhone 8 & 8 Plus with the same functionality as we are used to so customers have the choice. But, my opinion may change once i start using it on a daily basis.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think having FaceID is a nice addition to the iPhone feature list but i still think having a fingerprint sensor to unlock the device is much easier. Having it on the back of the device wouldn't have been so bad. Many Android devices have it there and customers seem quite happy :) Luckily we still have the iPhone 8 & 8 Plus with the same functionality as we are used to so customers have the choice. But, my opinion may change once i start using it on a daily basis.

People make fun of the rear fingerprint sensor on the galaxy s8 but I have absolutely no problem with it. At first it felt a little funny but after a half a day it was just another normal movement. It is really a more natural movement or action than you might think initially.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR