Face ID not working

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
So, at my parents tonight, having dinner on the patio, and my phone fell out of my pocket. About a 2 ft drop onto concrete, but in a case. No visible damage, but Face ID isn’t working now. Restarted it, and nothing. Went to redo my face, and it kept telling me to either lower or raise the camera. Guessing I knocked something out of alignment. The real pain of it is I have to wait until Saturday to do anything about it.

End of rant, but I do have a question. I don’t have Apple Care. Say one word, and I’ll have this thread shut down. I have it for my first 3 iPhones, and just felt like I was wasting my money. Plus, I can afford a repair. Just curious about how much I should expect.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Seems to be working now. I do have an appointment Saturday. But, if I continue not to have issues, I’m going to cancel that appointment.

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so it’s sort of working. Face ID works in low light. If it’s bright, it’s not working.

Same issue happens to me. I brought it in and they are recommending me to replace the true depth camera piece in there. Approx. +/-$220?or something like that. Although it did include a new battery she said.
Edit: my phone is an X

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Update: things seem to be back to normal. If it’s still working tomorrow, I’ll be canceling my appointment.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Final update. For most of the previous month, Face ID had been working fine, for the most part. Occasionally wouldn’t unlock, but I figured it was just like always. I have always had an issue about once a week.

However, last Monday, things started getting more frequent, and by Wednesday evening, Face ID had completely quit working. Considering I was in South Texas, roasting and sweating by the gallon, and I live in North West Ohio, I dealt with it until I could get home. Got home yesterday, and set an appointment at the Genius Bar this morning.

After restarting my phone, and running diagnostics, the True Depth sensor was, in fact, like Monty Python’s Norwegian Blue parrot. Look it up on YouTube if you don’t get it.

She checked inventory and work load for repairs, and just decided to swap me into a new iPhone on warranty replacement. So, everything is all good now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2