Extract Photos from Smashed phone that powers on but cannot connect.

I

iMore Question

Is there a way to extract photos from a smashed phone that powers on but cannot connect through its charging port?

The phone powers on and will connect to wifi. But screen is gone and it will not register when cable is plugged in. Something must be damaged where cable connects.

Can I extract the "Hard Drive" and have a shop pull off the pics? Like a broken laptop....

Thanks

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you have iCloud enabled and doing daily backups or have you backed up to iTunes lately if you have then your photos are there also if you had Photo stream the last hundred are there also

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That is true that even if the screen will not come on and like Kataran said backups to iCloud or iTunes should get you your pics.

edgehawaii

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Guys, The first thing I did was check my most recent back up and I'm already beating myself up because it was months ago, and icloud back-up requires more memory than available. I wont make this mistake in the future and will back up regularly now. With that being said, any way to go directly to the memory components and extract photos/vids.

I just returned from an Australian vacation with family and pic and vids were lost. or are being trapped in the phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and sorry to hear about your phone

I would at least try and get the charging port working see if there's some lint build up in there or try a different charging cord

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You might have a slim chance at the Apple Genius Bar, You can call and ask if that can be done and is it worth making an appt.

edgehawaii

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again both- I tried prying,cleaning, wedging to get the charging port to acknowledge the cable but no matter what, Zero response.... I'll try genius bar.

edgehawaii

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My latest move is that I bought a replacement power port on Amazon and found a Youtube vid on how to replace it.
I am hoping I can get the port to work again so I can back up the phone one last time.
photo.JPG

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I checked the how to section on our blog and it doesn't show up but I did see YouTube video you mentioned. Hopefully the internal USB drive is still intact which I'm assuming it is. The iPhone is build tough

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe find a cheap identical model (likely one with a cracked screen, obviously not *this* cracked) and swap the memory circuitry? Or would the storage in this iPhone freak out that it was swapped?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe find a cheap identical model (likely one with a cracked screen, obviously not *this* cracked) and swap the memory circuitry? Or would the storage in this iPhone freak out that it was swapped?

Remember the original RoboCop movie when the first candidates bugged out when they tried to transplant there minds in the Robo body

edgehawaii

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well I swapped out the charging input unit and got no response. The phone is now completely dead.

Anyone know of a service that can extract directly from the phones memory unit? Similar to when a laptop pr PC crashes and the hard drive is read for its contents..

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually did a couple of searches and was surprised I didn't get any useable hits

I wouldn't give up try a good repair guy and see if he can get that port working for you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox