Exciting Times for Standalone VR!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

It's a very exciting time for VR, and for standalone headsets. I was recently at (virtually) the Oculus Connect 5, VR developer conference. At least the 2 Keynotes anyways. Oculus has just announced a 2nd more robust VR Headset, as a companion to the Oculus Go. It's called the Oculus Quest, and while being similar to the Go, and supporting some of that headset's content, it will also share DNA with the Oculus Rift. What's most cool about the Quest, is that it does not require an expensive "VR Ready" PC!

Besides the Quest, Oculus also announced plans regarding the availability of apps and games across their 3 headsets. Most Oculus Go apps with be available on the Rift (YES some are/were missing), and most VR Games for the Rift will be, and should be ported to the Oculus Quest, and when possible the Oculus Go.

Not mentioned by Oculus, but also cool, is the Lenovo Mirage headset, which is a standalone Daydream headset. It's a little more expensive than the Oculus Go it's direct competitor, BUT still reasonably priced, and very cool!

As I said these are exciting times in VR. I know Apple is only just touching the surface and just dipping it's toe in the VR/AR pool, BUT what's cool about the headsets I mentioned here, is they do NOT require a phone or computer! Although the Oculus app works nicely on an iPhone and allows you to see what events are coming, and to push apps to your headset!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77