Exchange and Gmail

DatdudeKG

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I just swapped my wife's cracked iphone 5 for a new one on monday. Even though she had exchange set up on her old device it is not working on the new device after restoring her back up from iCloud. It is giving a can't connect to server error. If I don't set it up as exchange it works. I know google stopped supporting exchange on new accounts but I thought they would continue to allow existing users setup this way to continue? Any suggestions???? Thanks.

DatdudeKG

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the response but I can get the email to work just not with exchange. I thought the restriction was with newly created gmail accounts??????

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I just swapped my wife's cracked iphone 5 for a new one on monday. Even though she had exchange set up on her old device it is not working on the new device after restoring her back up from iCloud. It is giving a can't connect to server error. If I don't set it up as exchange it works. I know google stopped supporting exchange on new accounts but I thought they would continue to allow existing users setup this way to continue? Any suggestions???? Thanks.

Google ended Exchange support for free accounts on 1/31/13. Remaining connections remain active and you can set it up again if you restore and are using the same device. But if you get a new device that's the end.

You will need to set it up via IMAP (just type in the account info) or use the Gmail app if your wife wants push Gmail on the iPhone from now on.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Exchange access for Gmail is on the way out. Using the official Gmail app is the best way to get a solid Gmail experience on the iPhone. There are others, too. Sparrow and Mailbox are a few other choices.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

GolfnCPA

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just had a problem (home button) with my 5 and because I use Google calendar sync for work, chose to replace the home button rather than warranty it out specifically for this issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from an AT&T iPhone 5 to a VZW one and gmail exchange stopped working even having restored from the same iPhone 5 (att) that it worked on (iCloud backup)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from an AT&T iPhone 5 to a VZW one and gmail exchange stopped working even having restored from the same iPhone 5 (att) that it worked on (iCloud backup)

Yep, once you switch devices, your current exchange setup will no longer be allowed. You will have to configure Gmail via the regular Gmail setup or use the Gmail app.

Last edited:

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i'm in the same situation. i had my phone swapped under warranty yesterday and was not able to get my exchange gmail working. i knew exchange support ended but i also assumed that was for new accounts. i remember i got my first iphone a few years back i used imap on gmail first but it had a delay so i did exchange gmail instead because emails came in instantly. has imap gotten any better now ? this really sucks. i dont like the gmail app whatsoever. i am in queue for mailbox app too.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
IMAP email accounts will refresh when you open the Mail app, or whenever you give the mail screen a 'rubber band' style refresh... or, at 15 or 30 minute intervals set under >>Settings >>Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Fetch New Data

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Y'all do know that you can just download and use the Gmail app from Google, right? It has all the functions of the web client, but optimized for iOS. It also has full push and sync.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I hate the Gmail app... and am perfectly content with my gmail in the Mail app with the rest of my mail... and am still grandfathered using Gmail with exchange sync until I change devices.

BHMartin

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
We have a business Gmail account and I use Exchange on My IPhone 5. I love it. I get my gmail email on my phone a few seconds before it hits the account on my MBP. It costs $50 per user, per year. The support is outstanding.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I also don't much care for the Gmail app. But that is the only option for everyone if you want push Gmail for free on iOS.

To clarify people; if you attempt to setup Gmail as Exchange on an iOS device that is not the one you are currently holding then it will NOT work.

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Y'all do know that you can just download and use the Gmail app from Google, right? It has all the functions of the web client, but optimized for iOS. It also has full push and sync.

The app is useless if you have more than one email account. No unified inbox is a deal breaker.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The app is useless if you have more than one email account. No unified inbox is a deal breaker.

Look at why they went against the unified inbox. They said it helps keep the accounts organized, keeps you from sending or replying from a wrong address, and it provides additional security per account. I know some may not find it convenient, but it works extremely well. The only complaint I, or most I have seen have, is that it separates the accounts. But Google has quoted those reasons as to why, and it makes sense.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen