Exaggeration

Jeff DLB

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
Not first, but better

I finally watched the Quicktime of Job's iPhone demo today, having read everything I could find on the web yesterday. I felt that he exaggerated some of his claims of being first in certain areas. It's a very nice PDA/phone, and I may well buy one, but really the only "revolutionary" aspect is the user interface. Treo already has complete web browser(s), Google Maps, threaded SMS, integration of contacts with email & messaging, etc.

That being said, the iPhone may well be better even if not first. I like the touch screen, especially if typing is decent. I believe one-handed operation will be quite easy for nearly everything except typing (for which I use two thumbs on the Treo already). Any need for 2 hands will be more than compensated for by the absence of a stylus. The scroll gesture compared to 5-way down-down-down-down or Option-Down is great. The automatic portrait / landscape adjustment is clever, and more generally the inclusion of sensors (gravity, proximity and brightness) is genius.

The ability to zoom in on a web page will be nice. The fact that it automatically expands to match certain HTML elements is very useful. I wonder, however, if you can disable image loading when on EDGE rather than WiFi.

In short, iPhone is making Palm OS seem rather clunky and Windows Mobile downright Byzantine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73