Ex-Palm OS Treo users: Likes and Dislikes about the iPhone

zmtiger

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
... The biggest concern to me is not having my Outlook task list. It's my brain! I don't know what I need to get done at work without it! Any suggestions as to the best option for this need?

I am still looking. To me the whole reason for a PDA/task list it to be reminded about things to be completed. Nothing seems to do that right now on the iPhone. But for sync'ing:

iMExchange - Not sure how it works but you are able to see and sort your task list and notes (Maybe it uses Outlook Web Access?). I use categories in outlook and this is the only thing that ports them. It syncs over the air so start up is a bit slow. No reminders though.

Jott - I had used this before (when free). There is a desktop application to sync the tasks created in Jott to Outlook. You can set a reminder via text message. You can then snooze the reminder by replying "snooze" to the text. Completed tasks do not seem to sync. If I cross a task off on the iPhone it is still in Outlook. The same is true with completed tasks in Outlook to the iPhone.

Calendar - A simple solution that I read was to create a Calendar in Outlook for tasks. Reminders can be set this way. No categorization though.

There are other stand alone task apps (ToDO, Toodledoo, Remember the Milk, etc.). As you might have guessed I work in Outlook and sync to an Exchange server (I think 2007).

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
One thing I noticed today is that the iPhone doesn't last very long for phone calls. I was on a 2hr conference call (screen turned off for the most part) and the battery is close to dead. I started at close to 100% since it had charged overnight. I don't recall exactly how long the Treo lasted but my current BB Curve can go through at least 6hrs of talk time. That's why I use the BB as my phone during business trips.

boldwood1265

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
E-mail is certainly easier to set up on my Iphone, at least that was my experience. I had trouble syncing my 680 with my desktop, and thus far not a problem with Iphone.

I agree with you about using itunes about downloading podcasts, etc.

Only thing that annoys me about Iphone 3GS (no, I won't talk about the battery life) is the fact that you can only fit a certain amount apps on the display. After that you have to use the search feature to open up an app lost in the Iphone's storage...unless I'm doing something wrong.

I can't say too much about the Palm Os vs. Iphone OS, as they both seem similar but I'm no techie. It's just that I prefer the ease of use of the
Iphone - - the display on the Iphone is just plain bigger and better (something I've always desired) and far more usable than my Palm 680.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
I am still looking. To me the whole reason for a PDA/task list it to be reminded about things to be completed. Nothing seems to do that right now on the iPhone. But for sync'ing:

iMExchange - Not sure how it works but you are able to see and sort your task list and notes (Maybe it uses Outlook Web Access?). I use categories in outlook and this is the only thing that ports them. It syncs over the air so start up is a bit slow. No reminders though.

Jott - I had used this before (when free). There is a desktop application to sync the tasks created in Jott to Outlook. You can set a reminder via text message. You can then snooze the reminder by replying "snooze" to the text. Completed tasks do not seem to sync. If I cross a task off on the iPhone it is still in Outlook. The same is true with completed tasks in Outlook to the iPhone.

Calendar - A simple solution that I read was to create a Calendar in Outlook for tasks. Reminders can be set this way. No categorization though.

There are other stand alone task apps (ToDO, Toodledoo, Remember the Milk, etc.). As you might have guessed I work in Outlook and sync to an Exchange server (I think 2007).

This is the one thing keeping me from iphone. I NEED my outlook task list. I just can't believe that apple has not seen fit to sync with this. :confused:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyvu