Ever since updating to ios 4.2 on my 3G, my gps is not working. Help

phix95

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Sygic gps app then updated the OS, and the gps was always too weak to work. I thought it was the app that had the problem but I read what they said to do if this happens, I did all their suggestions and still does not work.

So to see if it was the app or the phone, I downloaded another gps app NavFree, and it ALSO said the signal is weak. So I think it is the update.

And btw, I only use gps apps where all maps are downloaded to the phone, as I have no data plan. That way, I can get a gps signal and my maps w/just the gps chip. And this has always worked.

As a little background, About 2 months ago, I had updated Cydia and then I couldn't get past the apple logo. So then I restored it--erased everything and also had to re-jailbreak. That forced me to update to ios 4.2. After that, it's when the gps was always weak.
I have restarted and reset it. I need the jailbreak in order to use T-Mobile.

If someone else has had this problem, what can I do? This is ridiculous.

I asked on the Apple forum but they refused to help b/c my phone is jailbroken....

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you updated the baseband to 6.15.00 in order to unlock that is why GPS does not work that is one of the issues with doing that

phix95

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I had forgotten about that. I use tmobile w/my phone and was forced to upgrade to 4.2 b/c when I did a recent Cydia update, when it was done, I couldn't get past the apple logo and had no choice. Then I had to RE-jailbreak.
So what do I do? Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

phix95

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys, I used Redsnow to downgrade the baseband, and followed some instructions here: How To: Downgrade iPhone 3G/3GS from 6.15.00 to 5.13.04 AND fix Cydia apps + unlock.
I don't think it worked b/c now I cannot get wifi, bluetooth, no firmware is listed in the settings, and it says it cannot make calls. It also keeps restarting every few min. It's saying to factory restore it but that'll get rid of my jailbreak.
Is there anything I can do?
If I do restore it, then what os, baseband etc should I use so my gps will work again? Can you provide me w/a link or instructions?

Thanks

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys, I used Redsnow to downgrade the baseband, and followed some instructions here: How To: Downgrade iPhone 3G/3GS from 6.15.00 to 5.13.04 AND fix Cydia apps + unlock.
I don't think it worked b/c now I cannot get wifi, bluetooth, no firmware is listed in the settings, and it says it cannot make calls. It also keeps restarting every few min. It's saying to factory restore it but that'll get rid of my jailbreak.
Is there anything I can do?
If I do restore it, then what os, baseband etc should I use so my gps will work again? Can you provide me w/a link or instructions?

Thanks

Try loading a custom 4.2.1 so it leaves the baseband in tact