EU on the verge of new law that would scan "all your digital messages" on iPhone and beyond, even if they're encrypted

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, that’s why the eu wants to read everyone’s messages.
You and I both know it’s not about CSAM. They simply want access - probably to enhance facial recognition. They can call the bill whatever they want. Remember the Affordable Care Act? It’s anything except affordable.

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
The writeup does make it sound very much like what Apple had proposed. It did not inherently break the encryption. The intent was for material to be scanned before encrypting and uploading, and compared to a hash of known CSAM. That of course only guards against existing CSAM, but curtailing the further distribution of that is a start.
Many articles and opponents do make it sound like a user's encrypted transmission is going to be decryptable somewhere else. I don't believe that is the intent, and if it were it should certainly be shot down. The intent is that the CSAM is detected, on device, before encryption and transmission.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The writeup does make it sound very much like what Apple had proposed. It did not inherently break the encryption. The intent was for material to be scanned before encrypting and uploading, and compared to a hash of known CSAM. That of course only guards against existing CSAM, but curtailing the further distribution of that is a start.
Many articles and opponents do make it sound like a user's encrypted transmission is going to be decryptable somewhere else. I don't believe that is the intent, and if it were it should certainly be shot down. The intent is that the CSAM is detected, on device, before encryption and transmission.
I don’t receive my images of that nature and I don’t associate with people who do and would not dare send me CSAM. With that being said, why must my images be scanned?

If the intent, as you’ve stated, is to detect CSAM ‘before encryption and transmission’ then an argument can be made that the government could be able to snoop the unencrypted images.

Last edited:
Reactions: FFR